Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I just tried applying for the standard 25K welcome offer and was told I'm not eligible for the bonus. I don't understand AMEX. Only 1 card within the last 2 years.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
As discussed before, $10/month is close to nothing if you add all the delivery costs. Any I do not want to be led to a different life style, just because of the $10/month.

Had this be a real $10/month dining credit, like the Chase CSR $300 travel credit, then I'll be glad to use it. Just part of the promotion game, little substance.
Grubhub/seamless offers pickup in some places

Car $300 travel is easy to use

Prg $100 airline reimbursement and 12x$10 dining isn't as easy for some people. Figure how much you treat it against the AF
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
What happens to the Gold card you get with Amex Platinum? Are they going to rebrand them?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
As discussed before, $10/month is close to nothing if you add all the delivery costs. Any I do not want to be led to a different life style, just because of the $10/month.

Had this be a real $10/month dining credit, like the Chase CSR $300 travel credit, then I'll be glad to use it. Just part of the promotion game, little substance.
Many of those delivery places have pick up options. For me, it's an easy $10 off a dinner/lunch.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gas is gone, kind of interesting

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
What happens to the Gold card you get with Amex Platinum? Are they going to rebrand them?
The refreshed terms mention that the benefit only applies to a Consumer Gold Card Account. Gold cards issued on a Platinum Account would not qualify. It's the account that determines eligibility, not the color of the card. The terms also mention other Gold Card variants that are excluded:

Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on a U.S. Consumer Gold Card Account can enroll in the benefit. Traditional Gold, Senior Gold, Classic Gold and Ameriprise Gold Cards are not eligible.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36182-9-0

Also, when you request a supplementary Gold Card on a Platinum Card account you see: Earn points when Additional Card Members on your Account use their Card for purchases in the same way you do. This means the supplementary card earns 5X points for airfare and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel, otherwise one point per dollar.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...182-9-0#/apply

Last edited by mia; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:26 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by JHake10
I just tried applying for the standard 25K welcome offer and was told I'm not eligible for the bonus. I don't understand AMEX. Only 1 card within the last 2 years.
AmEx does not see much activities from you.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mia what terms are you quoting there?
(any difference between PRG and PRG's additional cards?)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:07 am

So does the grocery cap count begin with purchases today? From beginning of current statement? From beginning of next statement?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can always ask for it
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:10 am

Just a DP. I tried to order the Rose gold card for my wife since she's an authorized user and I wanted gold one. Rep said that we both need to start with the Rose gold card in order for authorized user to get the Rose gold card. After we receive cards, I can call and request a gold card. What's with all these loops to get a card.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
AmEx does not see much activities from you.
Which is interesting since most of my spend is on my Platinum and BBP cards. Sure I'm not charging up 100k a year. But I only get cards I keep and been a cardholder since 2008. I guess I'm just a drop in the bucket and AMEX doesn't care.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great info trikotret thanks !
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
mia what terms are you quoting there?
(any difference between PRG and PRG's additional cards?)
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...card/36182-9-0
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Many of those delivery places have pick up options. For me, it's an easy $10 off a dinner/lunch.
I'm pretty sure ALL offer pickup. Basically grubhub is a POS extender. It's no skin off their back if someone doesn't come in to pick up an order - money exchanges hands at time of purchase. Besides, it's way better than staffing and having to handle delivery, and all the things that go with that. I live in Center City, so i have hundreds of restaurants walkable. If we are doing a family pizza night, I use grubhub to place the order, walk the 2 blocks and pick it up. No calling and talking to people on phones, no delivery fees, no need for cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.