Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:38 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by RedSun
I agree with you that, all rewards etc, point value etc are YMMV. We can keep debating. We all live our own ways. And hope we all enjoy what we are doing.

Yep!

I transfer ALL MR, TY, & UR points to SQ and always redeem for international First or Business class to Asia once a year or sometimes twice.

I get a lot more than 2c pp in value from every currency.
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please do not get fooled by the "credit". To get the "credit", you'll have to stay at the resort. There are various "resort fees" waiting for you, along with high prices for food and drinks. I guess Hilton foot most of the $200 "credit". And you do not just stay at resort for a single day.

AmEx is not dumb. No free lunch. If it is too good to be true, then it is not true.
If you travel routinely to the Anaheim area, there's a DT "resort" there that's priced no more than most Hilton properties in that general area, and all you need thus are two nights there to just get over the $250 level, and most of your two nights are credited.

So it depends where you stay as to how easy it may be to use up this credit.

But OTOH isn't the $10/month "dining" credit just as "depends on" as that Hilton resort credit? How many people are going to be able to reliably get that credit each of the 12 months of the year without overspending? (And for someone like me who mostly dines at Rewards Network participating restaurants that give me 10 miles per dine not counting what I get from the credit card, I'll lose that by going through GrubHub, since RN gives miles only when they "intercept" payments made at the restaurant register, while GrubHub handles the payments for order placed through GrubHub. So I have to factor that in. But anyone who doesn't use RN dining programs much doesn't have to factor that in.)

And some people get so much from Amex Offers each year that it's Amex Offers that already turn the PRG into a "net negative" annual fee card for them. But I find fairly few Amex Offers that work for me.

Meanwhile, DoC reached out to an Amex source who told them that the annual fee on the "renamed" PRG->Gold will not be increased on this card when these new benefits arrive. (I view that as much more than just a random rumor, but of course not quite an official Amex company statement.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 23, 2018 at 10:26 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And some people get so much from Amex Offers each year that it's Amex Offers that already turn the PRG into a "net negative" annual fee card for them. But I find fairly few Amex Offers that work for me.
AmEx offers from PRG is about average. I tend to get more from BCE and ED CCs, along with some travel offers from Plat. The BGR has some nice promotions too. The worst CCs for offers are Hilton NAF and SPG cards.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 am

I was thinking of dumping my PRG and getting the new Savor instead.

Why? I find the PRG to be a pain to use. The airline thing requires jumping through hoops, and redemption isnt that great either. Savor is doing a 4x dining with simple cash back.

However, these changes might keep me on board for another year. The 4x would match Savor, and I would probably get about $50 back from the $10 food thing. I hate how they make you jump through hoops to get the value, but whatever.

If the Prestige doesnt get an improvement next month, then thats the one I think Ill end up dumping
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
....4x would match Savor...
If you are not receiving more than $0.01/point redemption value, Membership Rewards is not the program for you.
conde and cuthroat like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you are not receiving more than $0.01/point redemption value, Membership Rewards is not the program for you.
Savor is 4% cash back for dining. How common is it to get that kind of value from MR?

By "jumping through hoops" I mean that most partners are international and theres usually some delay in processing the transfer and then another delay in using the intl partner to book a US flight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Savor is 4% cash back for dining. How common is it to get that kind of value from MR?

By "jumping through hoops" I mean that most partners are international and theres usually some delay in processing the transfer and then another delay in using the intl partner to book a US flight.
I’m happy most people don’t have the patience for stuff like this. It means my last minute redemptions at $0.10+ per point for domestic travel will continue to be easily accessible, as will getting from US-AUS/NZ in J for 120k MR per person. I have other words to describe the redemption opportunities besides “not that great.” These hoops are trivial relative to what you unlock.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....most partners are international and theres usually some delay in processing the transfer ....
American Express has three domestic airline partners, plus one in Canada and one in Mexico. Chase has three domestic partners. Citi has one. I don't see this as a big point of differentiation.

2/3 of Membership Rewards partners provide real time (instant) transfers.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

We need to place a big "caution" mark on the point values. A fair comparison is on booking basic economy fares. The point value on booking high class seats are hugely over-valued. Often time you can get 10 cpp on first class or suite. Some of the seats cost more than $10,000. No comparison.

So when you say you get 5 cpp on air fare, I'd like to know what air fare...
Robl and jamesinclair like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
We need to place a big "caution" mark on the point values. A fair comparison is on booking basic economy fares. The point value on booking high class seats are hugely over-valued. Often time you can get 10 cpp on first class or suite. Some of the seats cost more than $10,000. No comparison.

A better metric for points valuation on premium cabins is the lower of the fare cost or cost to buy miles. I believe AMEX Membership Rewards can be bought at ~$0.025 per mile. Often airline FF program miles can be bought at ~$0.017-$0.021 per mile. If redeeming for economy class, often the fare price comes out to less, hence a lower redemption value. Because of the ability to buy miles for lower cost than a purchased fare on premium cabin travel, redemption value rarely approaches $0.05- $0.10 per mile.

Last edited by conde; Sep 24, 2018 at 1:45 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
Because of the ability to buy miles for lower cost than a purchased fare on premium cabin travel, redemption value rarely approaches $0.05- $0.10 per mile.
Not true.

Often times, airlines have some premium cabin seats still empty close to travel dates. Then they open them up for reward redemption. You may be lucky to use 75,000 points to book a $10,000 seat.... There are storied like this....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:52 pm

Agreed.

Spending 480k points (2 people, round trip) on a single trip doesnt sound like a good value to me. "The cash fare would have been $30,000!". Ok, but for $30,000 I could fly around the world a dozen times and back again.

Its like buying a diamond on sale. Great, you paid $10,000 for something you're told is valued at $25,000, what a deal! Well, that shiny rock is useless and $10k could have bought you a year of delicious meals.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Not true.

Often times, airlines have some premium cabin seats still empty close to travel dates. Then they open them up for reward redemption. You may be lucky to use 75,000 points to book a $10,000 seat.... There are storied like this....
I wasn't denying that scenarios like that exist. I booked CX First Class LAX to SE Asia several times on AA miles (pre 2016 before the devaluation). RT on AA miles for that was 135,000 miles. Fares charged for those often were $12,000-$15,000. I never valued point redemption as ~10 cpp.

To me, point valuation is a guideline I use to see whether a point redemption is sensible. If I can pay cash for points in advance anticipating situations or later when I see an opportunity, the cost to buy points is how I value the points for premium cabin travel. If I'm not getting good value, with points for air or otherwise for hotel stays, I pay cash. If you choose to value points differently, that is up to you.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

My last two BA redemptions were both for nearly $600 last minute, one-way coach bookings on AA for 7,500 Avios each. Transferred in during the promo, this is 5,357 MR. 11.2 cents per MR point.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
I wasn't denying that scenarios like that exist. I booked CX First Class LAX to SE Asia several times on AA miles (pre 2016 before the devaluation). RT on AA miles for that was 135,000 miles. Fares charged for those often were $12,000-$15,000. I never valued point redemption as ~10 cpp.

To me, point valuation is a guideline I use to see whether a point redemption is sensible. If I can pay cash for points in advance anticipating situations or later when I see an opportunity, the cost to buy points is how I value the points for premium cabin travel. If I'm not getting good value, with points for air or otherwise for hotel stays, I pay cash. If you choose to value points differently, that is up to you.
Originally Posted by javabytes
My last two BA redemptions were both for nearly $600 last minute, one-way coach bookings on AA for 7,500 Avios each. Transferred in during the promo, this is 5,357 MR. 11.2 cents per MR point.
Yes, for reward booking, it is really YMMV. It is just hard to blindly compare them. I have AmEx MR, Chase UR and a little Citi TYP. Then we get all the tools in the box....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.