Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
....need to decide if spending $150ish/yr in AF on the CSR is worth it when I’m only going to be putting “travel” spend on it.....
You can earn 3X on travel for a slightly lower annual fee with INK Preferred. This doesn't give you to the $0.015 redemption rate or Priority Pass, but the latter is offered by many cards.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yup. Gonna look tres chic when your credit card matches those Rose Gold skinny jeans of yours.
I unironically bought a rose gold simplehuman trash can and now I can’t stop. Too bad the new iPhones don’t come in rose gold...
lax01 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by tutkija80
Absolutely.

This seems like a signature AmEx product refresh. I would expect to see an annual fee raised to around $250.00 with a $120 credit paid mostly or in full by partners implemented in a way that maximizes breakage. The airline credit simply goes away.

PRG always sat in an awkward place between Sapphire Preferred and Reserve, and if the multipliers for restaurants and grocery are really 4x, it’s a direct shot at Reserve.

I guess another question is what happens to Everyday Preferred.

I'm going to replace 2 EDPs with one PRG, that's whats going to happen.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

Correct, I wouldn’t drop the CSR, but if you are already spending $10+/mo on Seamless/Grubhub then this card becomes a keeper even if it’s just for grocery and Seamless spend.

What it does do is make the CSR less appealing as I prefer 4x MR vs 3x UR. Now I need to decide if spending $150ish/yr in AF on the CSR is worth it when I’m only going to be putting “travel” spend on it. I will again need to review my yearly spend. Even now I am doing my best to maximize AMEX hotel offers and I don’t charge many hotels to my CSR anymore. It has become my eating out/rental car/EZpass/parking meter credit card.
Agreed. If all the rumors around the PRG are true, then airline spendings go to the Platinum (which many people keep) and dining goes to PRG, with only travel (hotels, rental cars, etc.) left on the CSR, it becomes much harder to justify the $150 AF. Did a simple math here: assuming UR points are valued at 1.5 cent, and the CSR earns 2 more points than other cards, you'll need to spend $5,000 on travel for the AF to break even. That translates to "not worth it" for many people.

I remember my first CSR renewal last year, as I calculated how many points I would have lost if I cancel the card, and the conclusion is to keep it. But for this year, it's the opposite answer. For me, now the value of the CSR is mainly an outlet of UR points, by transferring to various airlines. Still deciding, but it's likely that I'll cancel the CSR and let my UR points just sit there. When the time comes to use them, I can always get a CSP and simply pay the $95 AF for transfer availability. The real challenge of cancelling the CSR is actually breaking the habit of using it for almost everything.

It's crazy how two years ago, everyone's calling the CSR a no brainer. Now, everyone's discussing whether to keep it. For people who only carry one card in their pocket, it's still the best. But for most people on FlyerTalk, who wouldn't mind using different cards on different purchases, 4x dining from PRG definitely changes everything.
JEStarr and Gatorsf like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ezak
It's crazy how two years ago, everyone's calling the CSR a no brainer. Now, everyone's discussing whether to keep it. For people who only carry one card in their pocket, it's still the best. But for most people on FlyerTalk, who wouldn't mind using different cards on different purchases, 4x dining from PRG definitely changes everything.
There are definitely some links back to two years ago with this move.

Two years and a couple of months ago, Citi made some pretty big devaluations to what was - at the time - the "no brainer" card, the Prestige. Citi eliminated the Admiral's Club access that came with the card, removed the included rounds of golf, and devalued the fourth night free benefit. About three weeks after that, Chase introduced the CSR and Citi's nerf became a punchline.

Fast forward to today, and the current "no brainer" card - the CSR - has been losing/devaluing benefits during which time Chase implements a four year moratorium on Sapphire bonuses. Three weeks later, AMEX introduces these new Gold Card buffs and CSR all of a sudden looks a bit road weary.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
There are definitely some links back to two years ago with this move.

Two years and a couple of months ago, Citi made some pretty big devaluations to what was - at the time - the "no brainer" card, the Prestige. Citi eliminated the Admiral's Club access that came with the card, removed the included rounds of golf, and devalued the fourth night free benefit. About three weeks after that, Chase introduced the CSR and Citi's nerf became a punchline.

Fast forward to today, and the current "no brainer" card - the CSR - has been losing/devaluing benefits during which time Chase implements a four year moratorium on Sapphire bonuses. Three weeks later, AMEX introduces these new Gold Card buffs and CSR all of a sudden looks a bit road weary.
Agreed. Sometimes we need a reminder that his game is dynamic, there will be some wins and losses, but I think overall we the consumer ultimately benefit from the increased competition and we are free to do what benefits us individually since we all have different end goals.

I think the refreshed PRG and the new Platinum benefits over the past couple years are showing that Amex is pulling some new and different tools out of their toolbox to differentiate and add value. All the changes won't all add value to everybody, but its good to see, and I will probably plan to get the revised PRG. 4x MR on those categories is killer, plus the dining benefit.
Diplomatico and ezak like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:28 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by RedSun
Plat is a travel card, not a shopping card. The removal of the old SPG (Marriott) Gold benefits is big. AmEx Plat gets worse now.
Wait... are they removing the Marriott/SPG gold status benefit from both the personal and business Platinum cards?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Wait... are they removing the Marriott/SPG gold status benefit from both the personal and business Platinum cards?
No, but in the New Marriott scheme the benefits of Gold are somewhat degraded compared to old SPG Gold, and certainly less than the old Marriott Gold. Discussion here:

Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?

.... dining goes to PRG, with only travel (hotels, rental cars, etc.) left on the CSR,....
Bear in mind that American Express awards the Dining and Supermarket bonuses only on domestic spend. If you spend an important amount on dining in other countries, Sapphire Reserve would be useful.

Last edited by mia; Sep 22, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:47 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by mia
No, but in the New Marriott scheme the benefits of Gold are somewhat degraded compared to old SPG Gold, and certainly less than the old Marriott Gold. Discussion here:
Amex Platinum & Membership Rewards SPG/Marriott benefits beginning August 2018?
Got it. Yep, I was aware of the devaluation. I thought I missed a more recent memo about Amex getting rid of the benefit altogether.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Agreed. If all the rumors around the PRG are true, then airline spendings go to the Platinum (which many people keep) and dining goes to PRG, with only travel (hotels, rental cars, etc.) left on the CSR, it becomes much harder to justify the $150 AF. Did a simple math here: assuming UR points are valued at 1.5 cent, and the CSR earns 2 more points than other cards, you'll need to spend $5,000 on travel for the AF to break even. That translates to "not worth it" for many people.

I remember my first CSR renewal last year, as I calculated how many points I would have lost if I cancel the card, and the conclusion is to keep it. But for this year, it's the opposite answer. For me, now the value of the CSR is mainly an outlet of UR points, by transferring to various airlines. Still deciding, but it's likely that I'll cancel the CSR and let my UR points just sit there. When the time comes to use them, I can always get a CSP and simply pay the $95 AF for transfer availability. The real challenge of cancelling the CSR is actually breaking the habit of using it for almost everything.

Your scientific analysis is off this time.

First, you value Chase UR too low. It is at least 2 cpt or more. Second, CSR is the only card that gives you 1.5 on Chase travel portal. I used it sometimes when cash price is the best compared with point redemptions.

Chase UR is an entire portfolio. Some people have multiple cards, particularly Freedom CCs which earn 5x UR each quarter (category). If I get just one card, it is 30,000 URs/year. If I get a total of 4 CCs, I get 120,000 URs per year. Then you get Freedom Unlimited, Ink CCs etc. Do the math to see if it pays to keep the CSR.

As long as I can get positive returns, I keep all those cards. I pay some $k on AFs and I'm happy to do so.

AmEx PRG was the lowest return CC in my book. It was on chopping block. Now I'll wait and see.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Nomad

First, you value Chase UR too low. It is at least 2 cpt or more. Second, CSR is the only card that gives you 1.5 on Chase travel portal. I used it sometimes when cash price is the best compared with point redemptions.

Chase UR is an entire portfolio. Some people have multiple cards, particularly Freedom CCs which earn 5x UR each quarter (category). If I get just one card, it is 30,000 URs/year. If I get a total of 4 CCs, I get 120,000 URs per year. Then you get Freedom Unlimited, Ink CCs etc. Do the math to see if it pays to keep the CSR.

As long as I can get positive returns, I keep all those cards. I pay some $k on AFs and I'm happy to do so.

AmEx PRG was the lowest return CC in my book. It was on chopping block. Now I'll wait and see.
How do you get to 2cpp for UR? Hyatt IMO is the only worthwhile unique transfer partner, but I value them much closer to 1.5cpp since that's a much more likely and versatile redemption value.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:40 pm

I think 1.5 (or 1.6) is the most common valuation for UR points everywhere, especially since many people use them primarily on travel portal. If you value UR at 2+ cpt, then using them at 1.5 would be wrong because you're losing value then.
krazykanuck and mhdena like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:08 am
Suspended

I think 1.5 (or 1.6) is the most common valuation for UR points everywhere, especially since many people use them primarily on travel portal. If you value UR at 2+ cpt, then using them at 1.5 would be wrong because you're losing value then.
1.5 cpt is the floor value of Chase UR. UR to Hyatt is worth well north of 2 cpt. Then you get options of other travel partners and the travel portal.

There is nothing wrong to use it at travel portal if cash value is higher than the redemption value. That is the value of the UR options....
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
1.5 cpt is the floor value of Chase UR. UR to Hyatt is worth well north of 2 cpt.
The travel portal redemption certainly provides the floor at 1.5 cpt, but UR to Hyatt is YMMV. While the potential value can be much higher than 2 cpt, that's not a guarantee. I find that most Hyatt redemptions actually offer around 1.8 cpt, but unicorn redemptions certainly exist (like Andaz Maui).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by roundtree
The travel portal redemption certainly provides the floor at 1.5 cpt, but UR to Hyatt is YMMV. While the potential value can be much higher than 2 cpt, that's not a guarantee. I find that most Hyatt redemptions actually offer around 1.8 cpt, but unicorn redemptions certainly exist (like Andaz Maui).
I agree with you that, all rewards etc, point value etc are YMMV. We can keep debating. We all live our own ways. And hope we all enjoy what we are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.