Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
FWIW my dining credit for transaction posted late last month took 6 days.
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Mine posted on 8/9, so 4 days for me. Did your post?
thank you for checking back. yes, mine posted yesterday 8/10. took 8 days from 8/2. not sure whats up with that. always been 1-2 days after post. i guess its just a glitch. luckily a false alarm.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV
I have seen a transaction not posted as 4x for supermarkets and the chat agent told me that it is because the vendor has not registered itself as a supermarket. Should I push back? I am talking about a reasonably sized gourmet supermarket in NYC hence I think they categorise this as a supermarket. Admittedly, though, there is indeed a reference to gourmet shops being excluded from this category. Any thoughts/experiences?
give us the cut/paste of the transaction detail on the web login version and the market name. it should give you some category detail. does it mention "specialty retail" or something like that?

Amex TC:
Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
- Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores)

also, you may have better luck calling to get an exception, but it wouldnt be ongoing. MR dept 1-800-297-3276
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks. It is a supermarket (that is my view) called Gourmet Garage on 155 W 66TH ST NEW YORK NY. Google maps also describes it as "Branch of small local grocery-store chain offering produce, cheeses, coffee & prepared & deli foods." I am missing like 70MR points only but it is a matter of principle
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Yeah, it is a food repair shop as you said.

Okay, as referenced, it is not a supermarket, but I get that AmEx does a terrible job at transaction level data giving enough detail.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/rewards-info/retail.html
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
never understood the incessant need to ban calling from your list of modern productivity tools when it comes to handling sheit w/ amex. only exception is if youre exploiting a loophole or are unable for whatever reason. chat services are specifically staffed by 3rd rate useless people because they didnt make the cut for live conversation. plenty of exceptions, but its usually the case with large banks.

its unclear if your frustration is because dining is not coded correctly or if its because your attempts to fix the issue with chat went nowhere. both can be fixed ASAP. go call amex MR dept 1-800-297-3276. they will add your points in real time. you read that correctly. REAL TIME. not only will they add your points, they will also make a request to add that vendor into the 4x cat so you wont have to call again. i do this on a monthly basis on the gold with no MS. i dont need eyes on my account.

thats why you call. do not chat.
To back up what you said . . . chat person agreed with me it was a legitimate restaurant, blamed restaurant for identifying themselves incorrectly, said angrily there was nothing s/he could do! It seemed like the chat person was getting many of these chats and was very angry fielding them. This happened a while ago and was for a small amount of money so I didn't pursue it by calling, but still can remember the chat person's utter angry.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
Yeah, it is a food repair shop as you said.
Okay, as referenced, it is not a supermarket, but I get that AmEx does a terrible job at transaction level data giving enough detail.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html
Originally Posted by JFSV
Thanks. It is a supermarket (that is my view) called Gourmet Garage on 155 W 66TH ST NEW YORK NY. Google maps also describes it as "Branch of small local grocery-store chain offering produce, cheeses, coffee & prepared & deli foods." I am missing like 70MR points only but it is a matter of principle
looks like an interesting market. i have to visit that sometime!

i would call the MR dept to test my luck and get that included for future purchases. maybe they will agree its a grocery store! or they could totally argue this market is a "specialty retail". def not a normal grocery store like safeway. but while 70MR may not seem like much, its still worth ~$1 with schwab or with transfer bonus to a partner airline in premium cabin, a lot more. just depends if you want to bother. its really quick though.

i have called many times for 4x dining. not supermarket issues, but def cafes that dont code as dining. they sometimes tell me its not coded for dining so they will make an exception to give me the points one time. and sometimes, they agree with me and make a note to a certain dept to include that vendor for future 4x dining. its a win for everyone who now goes to that retailer.

Originally Posted by Magna
To back up what you said . . . chat person agreed with me it was a legitimate restaurant, blamed restaurant for identifying themselves incorrectly, said angrily there was nothing s/he could do! It seemed like the chat person was getting many of these chats and was very angry fielding them. This happened a while ago and was for a small amount of money so I didn't pursue it by calling, but still can remember the chat person's utter angry.
totally. chat is useless. thank you for the DP. they have no authority to do anything productive.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:27 am

Is a dining date defined as the date 1) when you used your card to dine or 2) when the transaction posted to account (usually 48 hours later)?

So if you get grubhub on August 31 but it doesn't post until like 9/2, will you end up wasting your August $10?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:48 pm

I ordered food thru grubhub on July 31st. The transaction was posted two days later but the transaction date was 7/31/19. The dining credit was posted on 8/4/19. The credit was for July.

I have ordered food on the last day of the month several times and got the $10 credit for each month.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by joytatee
I ordered food thru grubhub on July 31st. The transaction was posted two days later but the transaction date was 7/31/19. The dining credit was posted on 8/4/19. The credit was for July.

I have ordered food on the last day of the month several times and got the $10 credit for each month.
I have had the experience of ordering Seamless on the last day of the month and the transaction posting on my statement with a date on the 1st of the following month, and got the credit in the following month. So I wouldn't necessarily make a habit of waiting that late. (In that case, I'd already gotten the credit for the prior month, so it worked out fine for me.)
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:23 pm

I agree with you. But I did it because I was out of the country and came back home on the last day of the month. And I ordered it during the day. So the transaction was posted the same date I ordered. I guess if you order food at night time, the transaction might be posted the next day date.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I have had the experience of ordering Seamless on the last day of the month and the transaction posting on my statement with a date on the 1st of the following month, and got the credit in the following month. So I wouldn't necessarily make a habit of waiting that late. (In that case, I'd already gotten the credit for the prior month, so it worked out fine for me.)
I agree with you. But I did it because I was out of the country and came back home on the last day of the month. And I ordered it during the day. So the transaction was posted the same date I ordered. I guess if you order food at night time, the transaction might be posted the next day date.
i can confirm the same experience w/ @bgriff. when you dine the last day of the month and it posts next day, you will get credit for the next month. not the month prior. this happened to me a few times and had to call for manual adjustment. amex agent had mentioned this to me many times. matter of fact, that is how its supposed to work based on the T&C. you must care about the POST date of the transaction. not the original charge date.

$120 Dining Credit
American Express relies on the merchant to process transactions within the same calendar month that you made the purchase in order to apply the $10 monthly statement credit in the month that it was intended. For example, if you make an eligible purchase on the last day of the month and the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, the transaction date will reflect the next day's date and the statement credit would be applied in the following month.

therefore, @joytatee should double check and verify which month the $10 credit was for. you could always be getting the next months credit unknowingly. but maybe things have changed recently and now amex relies on charge date? TBD.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:44 pm

My dining credit from Jan-Aug is $80.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:52 pm

Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:10 pm

Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:33 pm

My dining credit from Jan-Aug is $80.
i appreciate the screenshots. nice. your DP is very interesting. i guess the last day of the month actually works if done early enough? not sure. since you have done it multiple times, i assume its not a lucky break. my grubhub orders were done in the evening around 7PM PST and posted next day. this was back when it first started. i kept forgetting about it until last minute. now I do it 1st of every month along with my uber credit to get it off my action list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.