Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: roberto99
Wiki Link
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...date-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 17, 19, 10:38 pm
  #1381  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
You are looking for this thread: Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex's criteria are different from Chase's and have nothing to do with X/24. More to do with history of opening and closing accounts it seems and with less obvious hard-and-fast rules; that other thread has much more speculation.

But to answer your last question, I have a data point of being able to apply (and getting the bonus) from a mail offer after receiving a "you've had this card before" pop-up during a standard application. I don't know if any data points exist of overcoming the "history of opening/closing" pop-up though. That other thread would probably be the best place to look.
After the rejection from the incognito offer of 50k miles, I logged into my Amex Blue account to see what pre-approved offers I had and to my surprise the same 50k miles/2k spend showed up (it had previously been a 35k offer). I clicked through the application and applied and got an instant approval. I'm not sure why the incognito link didn't work. But I'm guessing that had I received another mail offer, the app would have went through fine.
pdragn78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:01 am
  #1382  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 579
I really don't understand Amex with their point awards. They are very inconsistent. I'm grandfathered in 2x gas until Oct this year. I always go to the same gas station for the 3 family cars and 2x is hit or miss. The charges clearly state gas with 1x and others have gas 2x for same gas station. Then there are other restaurants which are true restaurants and I still get 1x. It's really annoying to have to keep chatting with them to get it fixed. 🤷🏻.♂️
trikotret is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 19, 8:35 am
  #1383  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 944
Yeah, I just looked at my last statement on the website and for the same exact restaurant I was given 4x points on one occasion and 1x points on another. Same kind of discrepancy on a nearby gas station I frequent.
trouble747 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:11 pm
  #1384  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
Yeah, I just looked at my last statement on the website and for the same exact restaurant I was given 4x points on one occasion and 1x points on another. Same kind of discrepancy on a nearby gas station I frequent.
How close to the statement date were those 1x charges? I've noticed the same situation you mention for charges that happened close to the statement closing date, but when I check several days later everything is adjusted and the 1x correctly show up as 4x (or 3x for airlines).
halamadrid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:15 pm
  #1385  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
How close to the statement date were those 1x charges? I've noticed the same situation you mention for charges that happened close to the statement closing date, but when I check several days later everything is adjusted and the 1x correctly show up as 4x (or 3x for airlines).
Mines are 3 weeks apart. It normally takes 4 days to show your earnings with the new web layout. It clearly shows 1x and 4x.
trikotret is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:13 pm
  #1386  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by trikotret View Post


Mines are 3 weeks apart. It normally takes 4 days to show your earnings with the new web layout. It clearly shows 1x and 4x.
Yes, then that's an issue. I guess I should consider myself lucky as I'm getting consistent 4x credit on restaurants (Toast included), even getting credit for restaurants at arenas, within hotels and airports. I wonder if the issue is related to those who were transitioned from the PRG to the current Gold vs those who got the Gold by applying after the change had taken place (as in my case). It'd be interested to get that additional piece of information in the data points.
halamadrid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 19, 9:39 am
  #1387  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
Yes, then that's an issue. I guess I should consider myself lucky as I'm getting consistent 4x credit on restaurants (Toast included), even getting credit for restaurants at arenas, within hotels and airports. I wonder if the issue is related to those who were transitioned from the PRG to the current Gold vs those who got the Gold by applying after the change had taken place (as in my case). It'd be interested to get that additional piece of information in the data points.
I was transitioned from the PRG card to Gold. I still get inconsistent MR. Doesn't make sense to earn 2x at the same gas station and then 1x. Lol
trikotret is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 1:07 pm
  #1388  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,456
Anyone else have issues with the $10/mo dining credit at the Shake Shack at the Westfield Century City in LA?
gengar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 19, 3:31 pm
  #1389  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Anyone else have issues with the $10/mo dining credit at the Shake Shack at the Westfield Century City in LA?
Just as a follow-up, called in and got this manually credited.

I keep telling myself not to cancel this card until right before the AF, but it is really way too much trouble.
gengar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 11:51 am
  #1390  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 379
Headed to Puerto Rico next week. I assume this card still earns 4x dining/groceries in Puerto Rico as a US territory, correct?
maxp0wers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 12:04 pm
  #1391  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,435
Originally Posted by maxp0wers View Post
.... correct?
Yes, according to THIS post.
mia is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 19, 12:32 pm
  #1392  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by maxp0wers View Post
Headed to Puerto Rico next week. I assume this card still earns 4x dining/groceries in Puerto Rico as a US territory, correct?
Last month they did.
mia likes this.
Snick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 19, 11:23 am
  #1393  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 935
Any data points on how many Gold cards you can have?
farwest101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread