Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by halamadrid
The dining credit goes by calendar month and not by statement cycle. If you use your January credit now and the February credit on Friday, you'll have two $10 credits on your next statement. I was in the same boat as you and then in my next statement I got the two credits. You'll be fine.
thanks! I'll make sure to charge the card today to make sure it posts by the 31st.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
So the annual fee for my refreshed Amex Gold Card posted the other day at $195, whereas I was expecting it to be $250. Was I mistaken? Lucky? Does Amex selectively give some people an unsolicited "break" on annual fees if you are a lucrative customer? Just curious -- thanks!

EDIT: Just double checked and realized the higher AF doesn't kick in until around April...

Never mind!

Last edited by YYZtoDCA; Jan 30, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:21 pm

ppl who have the 20% tipping on Amex up to $100, has it been coding very randomly for u?

My Taco bell meal was $11, but i got $15 back for it.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:28 pm

Just a quick update from MR Rep. She called me and said I'm getting the 4x points that weren't given to me on some restaurant charges. She said I will still get 4x at those places if I use card again. Kinda annoying if I have to keep calling.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:37 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret
[....She said I will still get 4x at those places if I use card again. Kinda annoying if I have to keep calling.
Confused. Did she tell; you that you would, or would not, automatically receive 4 points per dollar at those merchants in the future?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Confused. Did she tell; you that you would, or would not, automatically receive 4 points per dollar at those merchants in the future?
She told me I'll receive 4x at these merchants in the future. But told her I don't want to keep calling about other new locations I go. They need to fix their crap.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Just received an e-mail saying the Gold card will now give a $100 hotel credit instead of $75 at Hotel Collection hotels.

Ive never actually used this credit but nice to know they are still adding benefits.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
thanks! I'll make sure to charge the card today to make sure it posts by the 31st.
It doesn't have to post by the 31st right? I mean, if I charge it tomorrow, but it post in February, then I should still get the $10 for January right?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Put Aug 31/Sep 1 and Nov 30/Dec 1 on your calendar. Those are the two months this year where Saturday is in one month and Sunday is in the next month. So if you use it while traveling to somewhere where Grubhub or Seamless operates, you can use them twice in the same weekend in different months, and thus get 2 credits each time.

That doesn't solve the whole year (unless you're able to do such travels in the middle of the week).

And remember, GrubHub / Seamless can be used for pickup, not just delivery, so you don't have be "staying" in an area (with a delivery address) to use it, though you do have to be within reasonable "pickup" distance.

Another possibility: While Grubhub always tells me I'll need to present an ID to pick up the food, that's never been the case for me yet. I just mention my name, and they give it to me. So perhaps you could use it for friends or family who live in GrubHub / Seamless areas?
I have never used Grubhub or Seamless before. I just quickly went to Grubhub's website and it's asking for delivery address. If I can do a pickup, then that would be awesome!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
I have never used Grubhub or Seamless before. I just quickly went to Grubhub's website and it's asking for delivery address. If I can do a pickup, then that would be awesome!
So they can display which restaurants near you participate. (Some restaurants allow pick-up, some don't.)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
i did mine through yelp. yelp's ordering system is through grubhub. it coded correctly as well.
yelp is able to order for pickup.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
i did mine through yelp. yelp's ordering system is through grubhub. it coded correctly as well.
yelp is able to order for pickup.
This might not always be true.... I don't have GrubHub or Seamless in my area but I DO have a couple places that offer ordering via Yelp.... I've never done that, but it seems odd GrubHub would support places around me with Yelp but NOT their own service...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
This might not always be true.... I don't have GrubHub or Seamless in my area but I DO have a couple places that offer ordering via Yelp.... I've never done that, but it seems odd GrubHub would support places around me with Yelp but NOT their own service...
not sure then... but it worked for me... says online order powered by grubhub.
heres a press release --> https://media.grubhub.com/media/pres...n/default.aspx
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
How does everyone find out if the restaurant payment is processed by Square?

One kebob restaurant nearby didn't post 4 points and it looks like you pay via a tablet type of register.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vincewy
How does everyone find out if the restaurant payment is processed by Square?

One kebob restaurant nearby didn't post 4 points and it looks like you pay via a tablet type of register.
One suspects that one could inquire at the restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.