Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:46 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mia
If the transaction is scheduled to earn bonus points an icon will appear next to it shortly after it posts to your account (not while still Pending). These icons are not completely reliable. Once the statement is generated the icons vanish. A month later, after the points post from pending, you will be able to find a definitive list of transactions that earned a bonus on membershiprewards.com > Points Summary > Activity Detail > Click [+] > See Card Bonus Detail.
This is actually the opposite of how it appears for me. I don't see any 4x icons on my recent activity page, but once my statement closes, I do see the 4x icons on my Current Statement view.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The phrase that you bolded from my post does not refer to the icons that may appear in the Statements & Activity area. I am referring to the Card Bonus Detail list that is not visible until a month after the statement is generated.

American Express seems to be working to make the Statements & Activity icons more reliable, but the lists that are here are the final word on what you really received:

membershiprewards.com > Points Summary > Activity Detail > Click [+] > See Card Bonus Detail.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Has anyone had any follow up from Amex regarding 4x points for restaurant bookings through Tock? I was told that a rep was opening a case and that they would call me, but it's been over a week and I haven't heard anything.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:53 am

I'm supposed to hear back from AMEX regarding my investigation into a bunch of TOAST charges that didn't post today...will provide an update once I hear from them
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
The restaurant did not code properly but I DID receive 4x as a restaurant.
Another interesting DP. I occasionally eat at Specialty's and have earned 4x on all meals regardless of how I order. Orders at the cashier counter codes as "Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café". Orders placed via website, app and the in-store iPad kiosk codes as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase". I know that Specialty's earned 3x on the CSR only if I ordered at the cashier.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Hello Mia,

The last post was from 2015. It would be great if we have a dp from 2018 especially after AMEX revamped their card.
I know you are asking for a DP for the revamped Amex Gold, but I had a brain fart recently and purchased a fare on Expedia for Hong Kong airlines with my Platinum and I still ended up getting 5x MR points.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare
I know the Platinum cards are the best to book directly with airlines due to the 5x accelerators, but I'm just wondering how many people are actually getting and keeping the Platinum just for that? I think the Gold is the better overall card as I do shopping at grocery stores and dining. Booking directly with airlines get me only 3x, but am I really losing much if I spend $2-$3k in airfare per year?

Also, just want to confirm that when AMEX meant booking directly with airlines, it means with any airlines in the world through their websites? What about using Expedia or Orbitz?

Thanks!
I see a ton of Amex Platinums in use in New York at restaurants, stores, etc. It is a very popular card, and people not super focused on maximizing spend use ot regularly.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lax01
Granted this was the Platinum card, but I got 5x MR when booking Eva Air flights through the AMEXTravel.com site....which is considered a 3rd party agency
I think AMEX mentions that you'll get the bonus when purchasing through AMEXTravel as well.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:54 pm

So I just got off the phone with a rep from membership rewards. He made a one-time exception and awarded the 4x points for my recent booking through Tock, and suggested that in the future I should pay at the restaurant instead. I tried to explain how that's not possible, as only way to pay for a meal at these restaurants is by booking a pre-paid reservation through the Tock service. I'm still not sure he understood that point, but he did say that he was aware of others that had made the same inquiry and it sounded as though they may be open to changing this policy. For now it's frustrating that you can't use one of the main benefits of a card marketed specifically as having "foodie rewards" at many of the top restaurants across the country.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ebusch
So I just got off the phone with a rep from membership rewards. He made a one-time exception and awarded the 4x points for my recent booking through Tock, and suggested that in the future I should pay at the restaurant instead. I tried to explain how that's not possible, as only way to pay for a meal at these restaurants is by booking a pre-paid reservation through the Tock service. I'm still not sure he understood that point, but he did say that he was aware of others that had made the same inquiry and it sounded as though they may be open to changing this policy. For now it's frustrating that you can't use one of the main benefits of a card marketed specifically as having "foodie rewards" at many of the top restaurants across the country.
Thanks for reporting back. I'm surprised that Amex gave you a one-time 4x for your Tock purchase.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I called American Express to follow up on the 50,000 MR bonus points as I fulfilled the spend requirement.

The agent said my card was coded for the bonus, but the reason it was not credited was due to receiving a Welcome Bonus last year on the SPG Luxury card.

Apparently, they deny the bonus to some members even after sign up for reasons such as this.

I asked the agent why I was not informed upon enrollment and why I was not informed about the denial. She did not know why and opened up a case to investigate.

This is absolute BS. I would not have opened the account and paid the $250 AF if I knew this in advance.

Last edited by chix; Jan 24, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by trikotret
The rep said she'll submit a request and she'll still give me the 4x points if the request didn't get approved. However she said it's just a one time courtesy. I won't be compensated the 4x at those locations again if I use my card there and only earn 1x. At that moment I decided to go back to by BofA premium card for restaurants until Amex gets their stuff fixed. I don't have the time to keep calling over points.
Originally Posted by ebusch
Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks for reporting back. I'm surprised that Amex gave you a one-time 4x for your Tock purchase.
I'm also surprised about the manual Tock adjustment since the MCC is not for a restaurant, and because the purchase amount probably isn't that small. It seems more reasonable that they'd be willing to do so for Square purchases.

In my case, they refused to issue even a courtesy or one-time exception for any of the purchases in question, so I've been wondering if there is some threshold where the front-line phone agents are allowed to make manual adjustments.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chix
.... coded for the bonus, but the reason it was not credited was due to receiving a Welcome Bonus last year on the SPG Luxury card.
Is the SPG Luxury card still open?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
Just wanted to add on the overall frustration with 4x points at US Restaurants not posting correctly. I had three fairly large charges in a billing cycle at merchants that show up as "Category: Restaurant - Restaurant" in the Amex system. After 4 rounds of phone tag with Amex, they gave me points on two of the three, saying that the 3rd was a bar (they serve food and code as a restaurant in Amex IT, so what gives?). The phone rep gave me a vague definition of what would code as a restaurant.

This seems like a tremendous failure by Amex management to understand the target market for the card. Coming in with 4x points was a clear shot at customers who use the Chase Sapphire Reserve heavily. But Chase never has any such issues of merchants not coding correctly for bonus categories. Very disappointing on the part of Amex. This along with the value destruction on business platinum (wework, seriously??) has me moving the bulk of my spend away from Amex for the foreseeable future.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by deltaflyer256
But Chase never has any such issues of merchants not coding correctly for bonus categories.
While Chase is certainly quite loose in coding for dining (and travel), Chase certainly DOES code incorrectly for dining (and travel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.