Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 18, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Jan 7, 19, 12:56 pm
  #1126  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: LA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,065
Originally Posted by mia View Post
No. It's just a gold colored card on a Platinum account. It does not have the features of a Gold Card account.
Oh... thanks. Does that mean the extra points for dining/groceries/airfare also don't apply?
chenalex is offline  
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:02 pm
  #1127  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 46,805
Originally Posted by chenalex View Post
Oh... thanks. Does that mean the extra points for dining/groceries/airfare also don't apply?
Correct. Bonus categories should match Platinum, not Gold, but I do not think we have confirmation that a supplementary Gold card on a Platinum account earns 5X for airfare.
mia is online now  
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:50 pm
  #1128  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Correct. Bonus categories should match Platinum, not Gold, but I do not think we have confirmation that a supplementary Gold card on a Platinum account earns 5X for airfare.
I can confirm that, or at least, that an AMEX person told me that it should work that way. I had to call them when I meant to get an authorized user gold card (new gold) and ended up with a platinum-gold card instead. They said that all of the purchases on the plat-gold will code bonus categories, but has none of the platinum benefits. The gold-gold card will also code bonus with no benefits.

The bonus is why I'm here - I'm finding restaurants where the charge is not square, shows as a restaurant even (category restaurant-restaurant) and no 4x points. The wait for chat was too long for me to talk to them today, but I will try tomorrow, found at least 3 purchases where this happened.
FlyerStef is offline  
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:35 am
  #1129  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 46,805
Moderator action

Discussion of a declined referral offer application moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
mia is online now  
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:36 pm
  #1130  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,611
Ate at a restaurant Flames Eatery inside SJC airport. I expected to receive 4x and I did, but what is interesting is that expanding the transaction details reveals - Category: Merchandise & Supplies - General Retail
Troopers is online now  
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:29 pm
  #1131  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 10,906
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Ate at a restaurant Flames Eatery inside SJC airport. I expected to receive 4x and I did, but what is interesting is that expanding the transaction details reveals - Category: Merchandise & Supplies - General Retail
Yes, that is correct. Restaurants inside airports typically do NOT code as restaurants, and charges often do not post with the name of the restaurant, even if the restaurant has chain branding. The reason why is because airport restaurants are typically not owned or operated directly by a restaurant brand, but instead by a third party food service licensee on behalf of the airport terminal/management. HMS Host, Sodexo, and Aramark are the most common food service contractors. You sometimes can tell by their ID tags....even if they are wearing green Starbucks aprons, their nametags say HMS Host. In fact, some airport restaurants in the same terminal might have different branding and different menus but operate one common kitchen to prepare all of the food.

It is unlikely that airport restaurants would code properly for this reason. Frankly, even a lot of airport retail locations are operated by third party management companies too. For example, Brooks Brothers stores in airports are operated by Paradies Lagardčre Travel Retail. Nobody has heard of Paradies, but the way it operates is to license the Brooks Brothers (and other big-name) brands to sell merchandise in airports and other locations.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:48 am
  #1132  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,611
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Yes, that is correct. Restaurants inside airports typically do NOT code as restaurants, and charges often do not post with the name of the restaurant, even if the restaurant has chain branding. The reason why is because airport restaurants are typically not owned or operated directly by a restaurant brand, but instead by a third party food service licensee on behalf of the airport terminal/management. HMS Host, Sodexo, and Aramark are the most common food service contractors. You sometimes can tell by their ID tags....even if they are wearing green Starbucks aprons, their nametags say HMS Host. In fact, some airport restaurants in the same terminal might have different branding and different menus but operate one common kitchen to prepare all of the food.

It is unlikely that airport restaurants would code properly for this reason. Frankly, even a lot of airport retail locations are operated by third party management companies too. For example, Brooks Brothers stores in airports are operated by Paradies Lagardčre Travel Retail. Nobody has heard of Paradies, but the way it operates is to license the Brooks Brothers (and other big-name) brands to sell merchandise in airports and other locations.
Right. The restaurant did not code properly but I DID receive 4x as a restaurant.
Troopers is online now  
Old Jan 10, 19, 5:40 pm
  #1133  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,731
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Right. The restaurant did not code properly but I DID receive 4x as a restaurant.
I think it was already obvious from the opposite examples (people getting 1x at places that coded as restaurants) that Amex is using something other than just coding to judge what's a restaurant and what's not. What's totally unclear is what it is that they go by.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:19 pm
  #1134  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 590
Is this considered a new card for sign-up bonus purposes? Had it about 3 years ago.
kapooncha is offline  
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:40 pm
  #1135  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 46,805
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
Is this considered a new card for sign-up bonus purposes? .....
Here are the terms of the public offer:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
kapooncha likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 10, 19 at 6:45 pm
mia is online now  
Old Jan 10, 19, 8:37 pm
  #1136  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,611
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I think it was already obvious from the opposite examples (people getting 1x at places that coded as restaurants) that Amex is using something other than just coding to judge what's a restaurant and what's not. What's totally unclear is what it is that they go by.
But I haven’t read any? many? DP where 4x was earned on non-restaurant coding. That’s the point.
Troopers is online now  
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:40 pm
  #1137  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DC
Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 27
Was auditing my account and also have a huge amount of charges that aren't coding as 4x. Extremely frustrating, and it's the inconsistency that gets me. The phone rep told me that stuff in airports might not code correctly because it's "in another establishment." First of all, half of Amex's entire marketing strategy is to travelers, so that's absurd (and my CSR codes just fine in airports). Second, an actual sit-down restaurant in that place didn't code as 4x, but Pinkberry did!

They claim they'll get back to me in 7 days, but after reading this I don't have much faith. Makes me want to cancel the card after a year since who knows how any particular thing will code.

I have a $750 charge from Tock (the restaurant booking site that does high-end restaurants like French Laundry, Alinea, and Minibar in DC) which only coded as 1x. Technically it is listed as "Business Services - Professional Services," but it's very clearly a restaurant. Has anyone else had issues with Tock? Huge amount of points - I don't know for sure, but would guess CSR would code it correctly.
Mainline777 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:07 pm
  #1138  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 46,805
Originally Posted by Mainline777 View Post
.... stuff in airports might not code correctly because it's "in another establishment."
Well explained in THIS post.

Chase has the same problems.
mia is online now  
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:12 pm
  #1139  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,140
Originally Posted by Mainline777 View Post
I have a $750 charge from Tock (the restaurant booking site that does high-end restaurants like French Laundry, Alinea, and Minibar in DC) which only coded as 1x. Technically it is listed as "Business Services - Professional Services," but it's very clearly a restaurant. Has anyone else had issues with Tock? Huge amount of points - I don't know for sure, but would guess CSR would code it correctly.
Tock is a restaurant just like Expedia is an airline. From the Tock website:

"Tock’s mission is to provide amazing, innovative software to the restaurant and hospitality industries. We’re proud that some of the best chefs, restaurateurs, and industry professionals have chosen to not only work with us to make Tock great, but also invest personally in our efforts."

Not surprising that a charge at Tock doesn't code as a restaurant.

https://www.exploretock.com/join/team
farwest101 likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jan 13, 19, 8:09 pm
  #1140  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS ORD
Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Posts: 5,992
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Tock is a restaurant just like Expedia is an airline. From the Tock website:

"Tock’s mission is to provide amazing, innovative software to the restaurant and hospitality industries. We’re proud that some of the best chefs, restaurateurs, and industry professionals have chosen to not only work with us to make Tock great, but also invest personally in our efforts."

Not surprising that a charge at Tock doesn't code as a restaurant.
Note that Tock codes as something like 'Online - Food and Drink' on Chase, and qualifies for 3x.

It'd be interesting to know whether Tock chose that MCC or AMEX assigned it.

In any case, another clear example of how AMEX wants to have it both ways.
gengar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread