Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Amex called me back today on a few transactions that I flagged to them as not having 4x points. They promptly gave me the 4x points for clear restaurants (and reassured me going forward it would be coded correctly) but said bars/cafes are ineligible because they are technically not a restaurant.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Amex called me back today on a few transactions that I flagged to them as not having 4x points. They promptly gave me the 4x points for clear restaurants (and reassured me going forward it would be coded correctly) but said bars/cafes are ineligible because they are technically not a restaurant.
How did you flagged them?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I don't think I have ever had a bar or cafe NOT give the bonus with Chase. Especially bars, there are lots of pubs that serve food and drink that could code as a bar. I'll keep this card because it's trivial for me to get the airline and food credits, but they're really not delivering on the 4x.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
What type of obnoxious answer is that? Almost all restaurants I eat at are “bar and grill” or “cafe” types and there are plenty of coffee houses and quick services places that don’t even have seats. Sounds like a completely ignorant CSR trying to shut you up so she has to field hopefully 1 less call in the future.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Fred Meyer, is a big chain but I have seen reports that that does not earn AMEX category bonus. My friend lives in Oregon shops at Fred Meyer, it is actually owned by Kroger. He said it did not earn category bonus on his EVP, and also not on the PRG. Go figure!

Now just why Fred Meyer does not earn category bonus? It is a multi-states chain, owned by Kroger, a full-service de facto supermarket chain.
Nothing wrong here... Fred Meyer is a superstore just as Walmart is, they sell clothing, electronics, automotive, outdoors/sport goods, home improvement and home goods. No reason you would earn the 4x there.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 pm

That sounds like a nonsense answer because Starbucks transactions get the 4x bonus. How would they explain that?

There's no conceivable way it's a mistake—Amex is processing thousands of Starbucks transactions per hour, and Starbucks is famously a coffee shop (no one could try to claim otherwise), so if Starbucks gets the 4x bonus then all coffee shops should qualify.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
New card member that applied at the end of the year so pretty basic question....used the card at Shake Shack on 12/29. The credit of $10 just posted but with a date of 1/2. I assume that this will count towards my $10 monthly credit in DECEMBER since that is when the original transaction occurred.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
How did you flagged them?
Flagged them using the online chat.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I don't think I have ever had a bar or cafe NOT give the bonus with Chase. Especially bars, there are lots of pubs that serve food and drink that could code as a bar. I'll keep this card because it's trivial for me to get the airline and food credits, but they're really not delivering on the 4x.
Originally Posted by jags86

What type of obnoxious answer is that? Almost all restaurants I eat at are “bar and grill” or “cafe” types and there are plenty of coffee houses and quick services places that don’t even have seats. Sounds like a completely ignorant CSR trying to shut you up so she has to field hopefully 1 less call in the future.
Originally Posted by ericnau
That sounds like a nonsense answer because Starbucks transactions get the 4x bonus. How would they explain that?

There's no conceivable way it's a mistake—Amex is processing thousands of Starbucks transactions per hour, and Starbucks is famously a coffee shop (no one could try to claim otherwise), so if Starbucks gets the 4x bonus then all coffee shops should qualify.
I don't go to bars that often so I didn't bother pushing that hard for the 4x. As long as restaurants count, I'll continue using the Amex for that and for any other place that could be dubious, I'll just use the CSR.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:29 am

i also flagged a couple transactions that were clearly marked as "restaurant" using the online chat. these went through square terminals. the rep said they escalated to the MR team and will get back to me.

guess we'll see what happens...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If someone applies for and is approved for the AMEX Gold, will they get an opportunity to use the airline credit next January before the annual fee is due? It's only January and I'm afraid if I get my gf to apply now she won't get to use the airline credit twice like me.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
If someone applies for and is approved for the AMEX Gold, will they get an opportunity to use the airline credit next January before the annual fee is due?....
YES. Whatever you decide, do not close any American Express card before the first anniversary annual fee is billed. Plenty of time even after it is billed to collect the airline reimbursement, ask about a retention bonus, etc. Closing early can have adverse consequences, discussed HERE.
Happy and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:41 pm

Amex is annoying. I'm looking through my charges for the last 3 months. I noticed I received 2x on Chevron charges and received 1x on others at the same gas station. He wants to list each one to him to submit a request. Lots of time consuming. Then there are 4 square restaurant charge the had the wrong award. I'll just use my BofA premium card for four square charges. Don't have time to do Amex homework
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:59 pm

at a small chain grocery store, contactless AND chip both failed multiple times.

had to fall back to swipe. strange. need to see how it posts

other cards worked fine before via chip
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If I added a complimentary gold card to my platinum account, do I still get all the gold card benefits, like $100 airline credit, dining credit, etc.?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chenalex
If I added a complimentary gold card to my platinum account, do I still get all the gold card benefits....
No. It's just a gold colored card on a Platinum account. It does not have the features of a Gold Card account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.