Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: roberto99
Wiki Link
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...date-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 27, 18, 6:50 am
  #1096  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 301
Just to add another toast data point: a $30.78 TST* charge received 1x. I was unfamiliar with Toast and this bar had a standard looking computer monitor/cash register setup. No way of knowing it was not a traditional POS system. I’m going to chat to ask for the points. Fortunately not a place I usually go to.

Category: Restaurant - Restaurant
Description: Restaurants
jags86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 18, 8:12 am
  #1097  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Marriott/SPG (New) Plat
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
Just to add another toast data point: a $30.78 TST* charge received 1x.
What’s bizarre is that so far, about half of my restaurant charges processed via Toast have earned 4x points, with the other half 1x. Of course all show up on the statement coded as Restaurants. Unlike with Square, I’m not sure why there is this inconsistency (obviously for the better, but still perplexing).
dw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 18, 11:31 am
  #1098  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 943
Maybe also let the locations know that you might not visit as often or won't return because they're not coding as restaurants or aren't earning bonus points on your Amex. I know a lot of businesses kind of roll their eyes at Amex and actually seem to dislike customers that hold that card (or at least I've experienced that a few times), but if Amex is getting it both from customers AND businesses then maybe they'll either make an official announcement on which 3rd party systems don't earn bonus points (and maybe suggest businesses add a little sticker saying "Processed with Toast!" or something to the POS) or get their act together and just award 4x on all restaurants.

I would of course be polite about it and offer it up more as information and that you're "sorry you won't be coming as often" rather than being mad at them...
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 18, 12:40 pm
  #1099  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Standard Discover offer since 2015, double points on all purchases during first year instead of a new account bonus. I would rather earn two Membership Rewards points than three Discover "miles".

Discussion is here:

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year
My statement was less in disbelief that the Discover product exists...and more that he was trying to compare a premium AMEX card to some basic Discover card that offers pretty average benefits
lax01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 18, 5:21 pm
  #1100  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by rmk1825 View Post
Does Whole Foods not count as a grocery store? I used Samsung Pay at Whole Foods and did not get 4x. I used Samsung Pay at a fast food restaurant and got 4x.

Out of 5 transactions, only 2 got the 4x. I just went to a steakhouse and spent some significant money. I do not understand why a steakhouse did not count as a restaurant. When you click on the actual transaction, it shows up as a restaurant. Same for all of my other transactions....either restaurant or Grocery. Yet, only 4x on 2 of the transactions.

I'm about to call them. This is unacceptable!
Sadly, in the terms of service for both Samsung Pay and Google Pay (the only two I've used), when you add a credit card, it tells you that you may not get the bonus points normally offered with said card. Perhaps you're seeing where the "may not" enters in.
Xelodia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 18, 7:28 am
  #1101  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Marriott/SPG (New) Plat
Posts: 4,456
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Agreed that this is most likely a bug/issue in their codebase...but if users aren't willing to speak up and provide their teams with feedback, they may also never know...I suggest everyone contact AMEX if you are having MR issues
I finally had a sufficient number of Restaurant charges that did not earn 4X points that I finally reached out to Amex today via chat. I was prepared to highlight each charge for them, but instead they immediately responded that they were having "technical issues" on their end and would have my charges reviewed. Will post back when/if I hear back (though based on the response some others have received, not expecting much... but I agree it's gotten to the point where it's important for cardholders to bring this to Amex's attention.)
lax01 and robchow like this.
dw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 18, 10:23 am
  #1102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by dw View Post
I finally had a sufficient number of Restaurant charges that did not earn 4X points that I finally reached out to Amex today via chat. I was prepared to highlight each charge for them, but instead they immediately responded that they were having "technical issues" on their end and would have my charges reviewed. Will post back when/if I hear back (though based on the response some others have received, not expecting much... but I agree it's gotten to the point where it's important for cardholders to bring this to Amex's attention.)
Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect much...I did not have good results when using the online chat with MR issues

I am seeing multiple Toast transactions reporting 1x in my recent activity...which should be 400-500 MR - gonna be another fun call to AMEX
lax01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 18, 4:54 pm
  #1103  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
My statement was less in disbelief that the Discover product exists...and more that he was trying to compare a premium AMEX card to some basic Discover card that offers pretty average benefits
well I have a bunch of hiht % earning Amex cards @%% grocery and the Amex Gold. Got the Gold in Nov, completed the 25k grocery spend yesterday. The 3% Discover Miles (which is sent by check at end of 12 months) is used at WM for items and BJ that sells OV cards. Of course the Amex cards can be used for 5% in drugstores, but the convenience of the miles card can not be understated. I also use it at Doctors and dentists for copayments and paying ins premiums. Does this help you?
Amazon Amazon
barrytuneup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 18, 4:54 pm
  #1104  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 222
meant 5% earning
barrytuneup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 18, 5:28 am
  #1105  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 1,822
This is a little ridiculous. My card was ordered on the 27th and the customer service rep said, "while the expedited option has been chosen, it's still in process due to high demand for the card." Uh, the card was released almost 3 months ago... They should have enough cards to go around by now.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 18, 4:52 pm
  #1106  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Posts: 3,404
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect much...I did not have good results when using the online chat with MR issues

I am seeing multiple Toast transactions reporting 1x in my recent activity...which should be 400-500 MR - gonna be another fun call to AMEX
I actually had a pretty good experience reaching out via chat. I pointed out a handful of restaurant charges that didn't get 4x and a few days later received a call from Amex where the rep went through the charges I had flagged (without me needing to re-explain or anything) and said he had added the missing points for each one. So, would have been nicer not to have to do it, but worth the small hassle of submitting the issue via chat if it will work like that again, and if it hopefully pushes Amex to come up with a better / more permanent fix.

That said, to avoid having to worry about it, I have also been consciously using my CSR at Square establishments so as not to have to deal with it, which will mean I will have fewer issues to report, which will mean Amex will get fewer data points that there is anything wrong ... a vicious cycle.
lax01 likes this.
bgriff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 18, 6:47 pm
  #1107  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3
Wanted to add my voice to the chorus of very unhappy customers.

On my last two statements, 23 of my restaurant purchases (about 1/3 of my transactions in the restaurants category) didn't receive 4x credit despite being correctly coded as restaurants.

Is there consensus yet as to whether Square purchases are eligible to receive credit? What about Toast? (And why wouldn't these be the same?)

And Cafés/Coffee Shops seem to be in a gray area too. Most of my coffee shops I frequent use square, so it's hard for me to tell if they would get the 4x bonus otherwise. But I DO know that Starbucks, Blue Bottle, and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (all national coffee shop chains) received 4x on my statements. So I don't see how Amex could claim that coffee shops are ineligible. There's no way that Starbucks is coded incorrectly, and it's definitely receiving 4x, so by basic rationale all coffee shops should quality (excluding other circumstances, like Square).

I can't help but feel Amex is arbitrarily applying their policies to their benefit at our expense.
ericnau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 18, 8:18 pm
  #1108  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by ericnau View Post
Wanted to add my voice to the chorus of very unhappy customers.

On my last two statements, 23 of my restaurant purchases (about 1/3 of my transactions in the restaurants category) didn't receive 4x credit despite being correctly coded as restaurants.

Is there consensus yet as to whether Square purchases are eligible to receive credit? What about Toast? (And why wouldn't these be the same?)

And Cafés/Coffee Shops seem to be in a gray area too. Most of my coffee shops I frequent use square, so it's hard for me to tell if they would get the 4x bonus otherwise. But I DO know that Starbucks, Blue Bottle, and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (all national coffee shop chains) received 4x on my statements. So I don't see how Amex could claim that coffee shops are ineligible. There's no way that Starbucks is coded incorrectly, and it's definitely receiving 4x, so by basic rationale all coffee shops should quality (excluding other circumstances, like Square).

I can't help but feel Amex is arbitrarily applying their policies to their benefit at our expense.
Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble is code as B&N so no 4x.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 18, 9:05 pm
  #1109  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble is code as B&N so no 4x.
Since that's a licensed location owned by Barnes & Noble I suppose that actually makes sense. I suspect Barnes & Noble didn't code it as anything other than a bookstore purchase.

Also, took another look at my statements...
I can confirm that two coffee shops that use square (Blue Bottle and Four Barrel) both received 4x automatically (without me having to call). And after calling MSR I received credit for two restaurant transactions that were through Square. So, it appears that some Square transactions WILL post with 4x, and depending on your rep you may be able to get credit for Square transactions by calling.
lax01 likes this.
ericnau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:01 am
  #1110  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 39
I thought I would add a small datapoint here about a bakery with in an Hmart. When i checked the transaction it showed as groceries, so i thought i would be getting 4x for it sadly I didn’t and only got 1x.

For those who don’t know Hmart is a Korean Supermarket, it has always counted as a grocery store for me no matter if i use Apple Pay or google pay with an EDP or gold card. There is a bakery that inside the hmart that is separate from the regular super market. I wasn’t sure what that would count as, under Amex transactions its a grocery store but somehow it didn’t count for 4x.
cm007d is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread