Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Is a food truck a restaurant?

Last edited by Diplomatico; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I suppose it's not completely clear from the posts if the MCC is a restaurant.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:54 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I understand the MCC part (which is why I edited my post) and that that's the overriding factor.

I was trying (poorly) to convey that it shouldn't be surprising that a food truck wouldn't classify as a restaurant.

You're too quick on the draw, gengar. ^

Last edited by Diplomatico; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:58 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I understand the MCC part (which is why I edited my post) and that that's the overriding factor.

I was trying (poorly) to convey that it shouldn't be surprising that a food truck wouldn't classify as a restaurant.

You're too quick on the draw, gengar. ^
Got it - edited my post accordingly.

Square is always going to be a problem because it seems far more likely that merchants don't set MCCs appropriately. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, many Square merchants neglect to choose an MCC at all.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by zorbachs
Which color? Do you have an expected delivery date on your account?
Rose Gold, and no, there isn't an expected delivery date on my account.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Yes according to the CSR, no according to the Amex Gold 🤣
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
DP: applied/approved on 10/13. Received Shipment notification on 10/21. UPS notification I have a shipment from FDR on 10/22, currently showing it’s on a truck for delivery today (10/23)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Rose Gold, and no, there isn't an expected delivery date on my account.
Things must be pretty backed up then. It looks like it's taking a week or more for the card to even ship. Since I'm an existing card holder, I may be waiting at least another week.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by LouNanne
the Amex site now shows 50k MR after $2k spend offer.. I guess all the referral links floating around isn’t as exclusive now. Is anyone else seeing the offer? I am on mobile, not private.
I saw the same. Tried to apply but got a screen that the offer is not available and then forwarded me to the 25k offer.

Last edited by AlexTheMan; Nov 28, 2018 at 9:16 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Contactless payment worked as expected at Whole Foods Market. (Cashier was astonished. )
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
Contactless payment worked as expected at Whole Foods Market. (Cashier was astonished. )
It is so fast too... I use at safeway and other than a reader that seemed to not be working well it accepts even before the metal touches the machine.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by mia
Works at Denny's too!

I'm on the road working so I figured I'd try it.

The cashier was in awe....haha/
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 pm

Not sure if someone already posted success for $10 Shake Shack credit if you order via the restaurant's app, but there's a promo going on right now for $6 off with code SHAKEITUP. Exp 10/26. If my Amex credit posts, I just got a free meal for 2 people today.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
I read roughly the last 15 pages but nobody seemed to have mentioned the limited offer "Pick up the tip", where Amex credits you up to 20% of your bill up to $100 during the first three months. Is this limited to the dining credit restaurants (e.g. Shake Shack, Grubhub etc.) or applies to any restaurant?

Also, can I please hear a couple of opinions on the Rose Gold version for a man? I already read that it is more bronze than pink. Personally I think the gold one looks a little bit showy.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HeartFist
I read roughly the last 15 pages but nobody seemed to have mentioned the limited offer "Pick up the tip", where Amex credits you up to 20% of your bill up to $100 during the first three months. Is this limited to the dining credit restaurants (e.g. Shake Shack, Grubhub etc.) or applies to any restaurant?

Also, can I please hear a couple of opinions on the Rose Gold version for a man? I already read that it is more bronze than pink. Personally I think the gold one looks a little bit showy.
My understanding was you'd get 20% back up to 100 in the first 3 months for anything that coded as restaurants (which you'd get 4x on).

I got the rose gold as a guy and it's not as pink as the website shows. Personally, I don't like yellow gold so I decided to take the rose gold. In very bright light you can see the pink-ness. In most light, it looks bronze-ish.

Looks bronze-ish in most light
brc01 and HeartFist like this.

Last edited by JHake10; Oct 23, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.