Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I've got these recent purchases:
  • Category: Restaurant - Restaurant, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, 4X bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café, no bonus indicated.
1/4. 25% success rate. Not looking good here, Amex. The fact that my $195.00 renewal fee posted in between all of these transactions is just icing on the nasty cake.
I'm waiting to see how they post at the end of the statement. I went back and looked at past years charges on my PRG and 90% of the time things coded properly. There was a place here and there that would not give me my bonus but otherwise the rates were fine.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:34 am

Just wondering about opinions on MS velocity to hit 25k before end of 2018. I've already had a few transactions around the $1500 range, along with actual organic spends local grocery stores. Just paranoid if I keep this rate up, I could be an early DP for shutdown, but I'm guessing there's already someone out there who hit the max in a few days...

(This is past the MSR window, and I've mostly gathered Amex is less concerned once you're done with MSR).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by gengar
As a side note to this, I just noticed on my AMEX Plat recent activity that none of my seven airline ticket purchases this cycle show the 5x bonus, so this does seem to be a pretty common problem. But the bonus indicator always shows up after the statement closes and I have been receiving the bonuses in past months.
That's the same for me. My airline purchase last month wasn't showing the multiplier, but when the statement closed, the 5x points showed up without a hitch.

As for the new 4x restaurant multiplier, I am not going to be bother checking everyday to see whether or not a $7 sandwich I bought at a local takeout place is posting as 4x points. I will just wait until the statement closes.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Rose Gold replacement card ordered 10.6.2018, received 10.19.2018 in an envelope, in a folder, in a box. Initial impression of the color is favorable, I think it will range from gold to pink depending on the ambient light.

The card has a Contactless logo on both sides, but my phone can only read it from the back side.
linglingfool likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Rose Gold replacement card ordered 10.6.2018, received 10.19.2018 in an envelope, in a folder, in a box. Initial impression of the color is favorable, I think it will range from gold to pink depending on the ambient light.
Mine ordered on 10.04.18 over the phone came yesterday. It looks more like bronze to me than rose gold.

What surprised me is, it also came with a sheet that has annual fee $195 listed but my card is in its half year mark of the targeted first fee waived offer gotten in late May.

When I ordered the replacement card the phone rep read me the new T&Cs from annual fee to earning structure and required a Yes or No. Before I said Yes I specifically asked about when would be my annual fee being billed, and how much. She said it would be next year after the anniversary date which is beyond April 2019, so the AF would be at $250.
I dont believe the $195 on the sheet would be billed now because the card is still within its first year. But I also dont believe the AF at anniversary would be at $195 instead of $250.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:44 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Happy
....sheet that has annual fee $195.....
Same -and- I note that the sheet is dated 10.5.2018. It looks as if I opened this account in June 2018.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:21 pm

Finally got my card...anybody know if I can drop Chase metal cards in the envelop they provided for metal card returns? Would AMEX look down on that?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:09 pm

Cards are finally coming in. I wonder if Amex is still swamped
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
My wife got her PRG in the 3rd week of September. She requested her Rose Gold card on 10/6 and she still has to get it. Since I am also an AU on her account, Amex automatically shipped me my metal card, which I got on 10/15. Called Amex and they said that my wife's card was mailed on 10/12 and I should wait for three more days.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by jediwho
My wife got her PRG in the 3rd week of September. She requested her Rose Gold card on 10/6 and she still has to get it. Since I am also an AU on her account, Amex automatically shipped me my metal card, which I got on 10/15. Called Amex and they said that my wife's card was mailed on 10/12 and I should wait for three more days.
The card was asked for on 10/6 - but they shipped it out six days later, on 10/12. That's almost to the level of Citi-like pathetic-ness.

Even if the card was mailed the 12th, it doesn't take 11 days to go through the mail system, even with a cheap $0.50 stamp. Banks are very unaware of how the mail system works. The card transition from the manufacturing facility (when it leaves) to your house should take 5 days max, including weekends.

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I've got these recent purchases:
  • Category: Restaurant - Restaurant, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, 4X bonus indicated.
  • Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries, no bonus indicated.
  • Category: Restaurant - Bar & Café, no bonus indicated.
1/4. 25% success rate. Not looking good here, Amex. The fact that my $195.00 renewal fee posted in between all of these transactions is just icing on the nasty cake.
Ah, I see more embarrassing moments from AMEX.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Oct 20, 2018 at 5:30 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:29 am
mia

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
....transition from the manufacturing facility (when it leaves) to your house should take 5 days max, including weekends.
My card was mailed on the 13th and delivered on the 19th. Allowing a few extra days before duplicating an order seems to be prudent business practice.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
My card was mailed on the 13th and delivered on the 19th. Allowing a few extra days before duplicating an order seems to be prudent business practice.
Mine was ordered on 10/04 over the phone. Rep said it shipped on 10/14, and it arrived 10/18. The hold up largely was at the processing of the card due to high demand. USPS service is the usual days when it works. I would not go into when it does not work - which happens far more times than I can remember... (and I have then learned a lot on how the local post office works in delivering the mails, esp when your area does not have a regular carrier due to one reason or another...)

I have since signed up the free service of Informed Delivery - at least now I know what mails failed to deliver (images shown for today's delivery but they did not come until 2 or 3 days later, for example.)
The AMEX pack did not have an image due to it could not be auto-scan, nor being mentioned, fwiw. But it was in 10/18 mail delivery.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 20, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Bought a new Macbook 3 days ago online through Apple.com.

50k bonus points posted today for the spend.

Damn.....that was quick!!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
we changed from the old PRG to the rose gold. statement just closed, and there is no 2x multiplier on gas that posted after 10/4/18. i chatted with amex, and was told that once it was upgraded the new terms applied.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by pokeable
.... i chatted with amex, and was told that once it was upgraded the new terms applied.
Incorrect and explicitly covered in the FAQ linked in the Wikipost.

Part of the art of working as a customer service agent is the ability to invent an explanation that sounds plausible to end the conversation.

In October 2019, the 2X on U.S. Gas Stations will be removed from the Gold Card for all current Gold Card Members who were approved before October 4, 2018. All other existing benefits will remain on the Gold Card, such as: up to $100 Airline Fee Credit for incidental fees like baggage on your selected airline each year, access to The Hotel Collection, no foreign transaction fees, Personalized Travel Service, and membership to The Travel Collection by Travel Leader’s Group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.