Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
So, what is Amex's rationale for giving 4x US Dining/groceries to the Gold Card vs Plat Card? After reading the plat card thread, seems a lot of people would have liked to see a dining bonus over there, let alone groceries. I would have seriously considered the plat if these benefits were added, instead I'm glad to be basically paying 30 dollar net annual fee for an easy bonus (2k in 3 months is great!) and a dining & grocery benefit that now adds an Amex back into my day to day wallet (while my poor SPG Amex collects dust, sitting in my sock drawer just hoping I can get more than 95 in value from the certificate so I don't cancel the card)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
while my poor SPG Amex collects dust, sitting in my sock drawer just hoping I can get more than 95 in value from the certificate so I don't cancel the card)
(Off topic but Amex sent me a spend offer once I upgraded to the Luxury card [for 100k points] which basically restored the old earning rate for $25k of spend.)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:29 pm

Has anyone tried Uber Eats? Wonder if it would get 4x as a "restaurant" or 1x like Uber.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jw461
Has anyone tried Uber Eats? Wonder if it would get 4x as a "restaurant" or 1x like Uber.
With the CSR, it codes as Uber and receives 3x for transportation but not dining. It also counts towards the CSR's 300 dollar travel credit. My best guess is it'll code as 1x for the Gold
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
So, what is Amex's rationale for giving 4x US Dining/groceries to the Gold Card vs Plat Card?...
Different market segments. Amex's target market for the Platinum card is a consumer that spends enough and has a high enough income to not really care about various earn rates. I mean the number of people willing to pay a $450, now $550, annual fee is pretty limited. Also I would guess that Platinum card members are already spending a lot on dining without the incentive of 4x earning.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Different market segments. Amex's target market for the Platinum card is a consumer that spends enough and has a high enough income to not really care about various earn rates. I mean the number of people willing to pay a $450, now $550, annual fee is pretty limited. Also I would guess that Platinum card members are already spending a lot on dining without the incentive of 4x earning.
Net airline credit ($200) and Uber credit ($200) it’s $150. I basically only use the Plat for the FHR benefit, which more than covers the AF for me. Used to use it for big ticket purchases but the Gold now has the same protection benefits.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
I don't think it was from lack of trying on Amex's part - moreso beyond their control. As for the physical cards, I think the data from other markets would suggest otherwise. In Canada for example, when contactless was just starting to become more universal, people would still face issues tapping occasionally, but eventually they will keep trying to use it as it becomes more widespread. (Even today Amex contactless worldwide is more spotty than Visa and MC).
I think it also helped that contactless on Visa/MC worked fairly reliably and that there were cards being issued en masse for those networks. That's still not quite true for the US, though it is slowly improving.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Depending on how much you place value on the Saks Fifth's credit, net AF for Amex Platinum is less than CSR. Throw in FHR, IAP, toeing service and medical evacuation, this car more than pays for itself.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Working on some
Not eligible for welcome offer but really are

Has anyone run into an issue where the online application says your not eligible for the welcome offer due to past history, having an offer in the past, and so on, but non of those are true?

I've never had product (have to other amex non charge cards) and have a great history with amex. I called customer service yesterday and spent approx 30 min on the phone with them. They confirmed that nothing precluded me from the offer, nor should it from the referral offer. That said, their was nothing they could do on their end outside note it in my account. I would have to call back after applying and they could take a further look at the application and what might have happened.

I weighted my options and decided to apply and give them a call today.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No. Just hold the card near the sensor.
where is sensor on reader or thing on card?
literally 'never' working at multiple stores, except once

will be interesting if either one of my two new cards will work easily, if so then clearly a case of a bad card/thing though odd it worked once

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 15, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Using a contactless card is not a precision skill. I believe there is an antenna (wire) that surrounds the entire perimeter of the card, but technical aspects are well covered in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...artphones.html

See also here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ess/index.html
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Using a contactless card is not a precision skill.
americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/contactless/index.html
did not work at 2 of the places they list

like i said, ~5 years ago it worked every time with no problem. actually for the entire ~5 years i had starwood amex with expresspay

with current / newish metal contactless, it has only worked once. perhaps its a bad card/thing but bad in such a way that it occasionally does work.

there was discussion upthread about it, so i posted here

im guessing one difference is old MSD vs new EMV

some mentioned (old system?) not working

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
FWIW, the contactless chip on my SPG Luxury card is inoperative. The new rose gold PRG contactless works. So I'd test it somehow first (I used an Android phone I had lying around with the NFC Tag app).

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 15, 2018 at 10:12 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Hi everyone,

So, I finally received my gold card (after 10 days of applying) thanks to UPS losing it and taking a week to find the package.

I applied through a referral link that gave me an offer of 50,000 MRs after spending $2,000 within the first three months of account opening. Looking at my card member agreement, I noticed that the annual fee says $195 instead of $250 (I applied on October 4th). Does anyone knows if this is a system error or if that will be the annual at least for the first year?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by holyPockets
It's kind of annoying that they seem to quickly give 4X to national chain restaurants, but a lot of my local cafes and restaurants in the city do not receive the bonuses. I mean, I got 4X at freaking Rita's Water Ice for my kids $2.50 ice... but not at a high-end gastropub where I dropped $75 the other night.... Seems like their coding system is a little flawed.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
....their coding system is a little flawed.
The coding system is the same at American Express, Mastercard and VISA. The merchant's acquirer (the company that processes their card transactions) chooses an MCC (merchant classification code) when the account is opened. It is not assigned by the card network or the card issuer, and it's not likely to be changed. Many small companies operate more than one type of business, and they often use the same merchant account for all of them. This means the MCC may be correct for the original business, but not for those that piggyback on the account later.

If you expand the entry you can see the classification. What does your gastropub's entry say?
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.