Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Kind of annoying that some people are getting their cards overnighted to them while others are 7-10 days via USPS. I ordered mine Thursday morning, I got an email Monday saying it had shipped via USPS and won't arrive until the 16th.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I wonder what is the advantage of Square over other payment processing services? Square is not cheap, charges a flat rate of 2.75% for either chipped or swiped transactions. Manual key in incurs higher fee at a whopping 3.5% + 0.15cents.
A few reasons I notice:
-It's a good UX and seems to work really well in high transaction environments like lunch spots and cafes: insert chip, sign, done.
-Because it's so ubiquitous, at least where I live, everyone knows how to use it, and use it quickly. There's a lot of Boomers out there who get behind a different format POS machine at different stores and they look like they are trying to read Greek, or figure out how to change the input on the TV ("Doesn't it need to be on Channel 3? Not since 1986 dad.") - which of course isn't great in high transaction environments with people in the queue.
-It's a nice looking set up, with the iPad rig. It feels clean, sleek, compact. I think you can customize the "skin" based on your brand, too.

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Kind of annoying that some people are getting their cards overnighted to them while others are 7-10 days via USPS. I ordered mine Thursday morning, I got an email Monday saying it had shipped via USPS and won't arrive until the 16th.
I agree! I ordered mine at 9am EST on Oct 4th - and to my knowledge - it still has yet to be shipped. It says USPS on the website but there's no tracking number associated with it and i have not received an email notification.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....some people are getting their cards overnighted ...
Are these replacement cards or cards for newly opened accounts?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure. I read some reports of people ordering AUs on existing cards to get the card early. I don't know when my replacement card actually shipped, just that I got the email Monday. It's possible it shipped before then. I'm on the east coast, so I'll check my mail today to see if anything arrived.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Too bad Amex US still refuses to offer PIN on their non-business cards. And anyone know if the new metal card contactless will be processed MSD-only (like my current Gold card) or will it finally allow EMV contactless ? It is kind of annoying having to insert it all the time because the contactless isn't read in Europe- always directing me to insert.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I wonder what is the advantage of Square over other payment processing services? Square is not cheap, charges a flat rate of 2.75% for either chipped or swiped transactions. Manual key in incurs higher fee at a whopping 3.5% + 0.15cents.

The only advantage seems that the merchant gets the device for free, without having to invest in a POS processing system.
Kiosks at the Malls are the merchants I see use Square almost universally. I have not come across Square payment method at a regular restaurant, but seen it being used at some ethnic grocers which all impose a minimum $10 to use credit cards.

I can confirm I never get category bonus at those ethnic grocers but I only shop there when I really in need of some ingredients, so it does not matter.
My favorite Poke places uses Square. And so does a bakery I go to.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by mia
mine was a newly opened account.

applied Friday. Card received ups overnight yesterday.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

The only advantage seems that the merchant gets the device for free, without having to invest in a POS processing system.
As you mention, no upfront device purchase costs. No long-term contract required, no monthly fees, etc. So it's easier, coupled with Square being cheaper until getting into the 10k-15k+/mo territory.

Recently some of the budget payment processors have started offering low promotional fee schedules for what they consider 'small restaurants', showing that they're trying to get more competitive with Square.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mlin32
Too bad Amex US still refuses to offer PIN on their non-business cards. And anyone know if the new metal card contactless will be processed MSD-only (like my current Gold card) or will it finally allow EMV contactless ? It is kind of annoying having to insert it all the time because the contactless isn't read in Europe- always directing me to insert.
AmEx contactless cards issued in the US have been EMV mode for a while now. Mobile wallets are still MSD only though.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:51 pm

Kiosks at the Malls are the merchants I see use Square almost universally. I have not come across Square payment method at a regular restaurant, but seen it being used at some ethnic grocers which all impose a minimum $10 to use credit cards.

I can confirm I never get category bonus at those ethnic grocers but I only shop there when I really in need of some ingredients, so it does not matter.
I think they like how theres a giant tip prompt which makes people feel guilty.

No, youre not getting a 22% chip for handing me a muffin....but some people do push yes, and that more than offsets their fee.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I think they like how theres a giant tip prompt which makes people feel guilty.

No, youre not getting a 22% chip for handing me a muffin....but some people do push yes, and that more than offsets their fee.
That probably is why every small restaurants incl basic noodle places we went in recent trips to Canada (Calgary and Toronto) were using this tip prompt set up. lol.
The European counter part is far more customer-friendly - you tell the wait staff how much you pay after s/he hands you the bill - there is no hassle to navigate the display. The wait staff almost universally courteous and thankful when you add tips to round up the final bill.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:41 pm

Granted mine was a replacement card...but the AMEX site still says Expected Delivery by 10/11 (tomorrow) but I haven't gotten a shipped notification. Also requested early PST on 10/4

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I agree! I ordered mine at 9am EST on Oct 4th - and to my knowledge - it still has yet to be shipped. It says USPS on the website but there's no tracking number associated with it and i have not received an email notification.
Yup, I'm in this boat as well...unless it magically shows up this week...I'm guessing I'll get it next week. Annoying
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

I'm one of the unlucky people that doesn't have Grubhub or seamless in my town, nor do I have a Cheesecake factory, Ruths, or Shake shack. What are my options or am I SOL?

Has anyone tried buying an online gift card yet to see if it triggers the credit? Cheesecake Factory and Shake Shack allow you to buy $10 gift cards where Ruth Chris has a $25 minimum.
vbscript2 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

where on amex site are people finding info on delivery dates?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
DP: I applied on 10/4, got an email 10/7 saying it shipped, and received UPS envelope on 10/9. This was a net-new account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.