Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: roberto99
Wiki Link
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...date-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Oct 6, 18, 5:04 am
  #361  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
Originally Posted by RichardMannion View Post
I have a Centurion account in the UK and another one in the US. For the UK product, the main cardholder gets issued a 2nd card on their account (it's called the Additional Card) - idea is that you can use it to separate spending between business/personal. The AC is issued in plastic, which also helps with the automated machines at train stations and car parks that 'ingest' your card as the metal versions had a tendency to get stuck in the mechanism.
its interesting outside US amex gives portfolios of cards

Originally Posted by smith16john View Post
A bit shocked that they won't even do centurion holder a small favor of 'differently colored card'.
i would be shocked they did
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 6:20 am
  #362  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,462
Originally Posted by twkidM3 View Post
Use an incognito window.
That's not the issue - it's already showing me the offer and I can just apply without logging in. My post was just a complaint about the bait+switch-iness of it, and that AMEX is making me jump through hoops to get a welcome offer they're giving pretty much everyone else.

Originally Posted by mia View Post
50,000 point offers are readily available here:

American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).
Ditto, as above.
gengar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:25 am
  #363  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,643
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
The AF on my Plat just posted and I’m planning on canceling it. I want this card now. I have 5 AMEX credit cards and the Plat charge card. Should I cancel my Plat first, then apply for Gold? Or get Gold first, then cancel Plat?
Originally Posted by Mict View Post
Call to downgrade the Plat, they might offer you a bunch of miles, someone said they got 50k by calling and saying they want to downgrade to Gold in the retention thread.
I would say the downgrade, if available to you and has a similar bonus, is by far the safest, and applying before closing is the second safest, because of this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:44 am
  #364  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,344
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I would say the downgrade, if available to you and has a similar bonus, is by far the safest, and applying before closing is the second safest, because of this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
I imagine it's very rare to get a substantial bonus for a downgrade. The whole point of retention bonuses is to keep you as a customer. If you're just downgrading, you're not going anywhere.
DaveInLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:27 pm
  #365  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by ezak View Post
Agreed. If all the rumors around the PRG are true, then airline spendings go to the Platinum (which many people keep) and dining goes to PRG, with only travel (hotels, rental cars, etc.) left on the CSR, it becomes much harder to justify the $150 AF. Did a simple math here: assuming UR points are valued at 1.5 cent, and the CSR earns 2 more points than other cards, you'll need to spend $5,000 on travel for the AF to break even. That translates to "not worth it" for many people.

I remember my first CSR renewal last year, as I calculated how many points I would have lost if I cancel the card, and the conclusion is to keep it. But for this year, it's the opposite answer. For me, now the value of the CSR is mainly an outlet of UR points, by transferring to various airlines. Still deciding, but it's likely that I'll cancel the CSR and let my UR points just sit there. When the time comes to use them, I can always get a CSP and simply pay the $95 AF for transfer availability. The real challenge of cancelling the CSR is actually breaking the habit of using it for almost everything.

It's crazy how two years ago, everyone's calling the CSR a no brainer. Now, everyone's discussing whether to keep it. For people who only carry one card in their pocket, it's still the best. But for most people on FlyerTalk, who wouldn't mind using different cards on different purchases, 4x dining from PRG definitely changes everything.
I agree 100% with you.

There is no reason for me to keep the CSR other than that I own a very small business where I earn 20,000 UR a month using my Chase Freedom Unlimited and that I can transfer those points directly to United Airlines which has really good international deals with low fees (Washington to Seville is never under $1,200 and with United is only 60,000 points and $120 fees, same for a lot of cities in Europe). I would use AMEX for my business but none of the merchants where I buy stuff accept it and 1.5 UR per dollar is the best I can do. So, I'm basically paying $150 for the ability to transfer these points to United Airlines and 1.5x redemption. If I had no business, I don't think this card would be justified, Not even with 3x on international dining and travel.

Now for personal expenses, the Gold card is a no brainer if you are in the AMEX ecosystem:
1) 5x on flights with Amex Platinum
2) 4x on dining and grocery store (I think this accounts for 70% of my credit card spending) with Amex Gold
3) 2x on everthing else with Amex Blue Business Plus

For the annual fees, as far as I'm concerned, the math checks out: $800 ($550 plat + $250 gold) - $300 airline credit (gift cards on southwest) - $120 dining credit - $200 Uber credits = $180 for Platinum benefits? Totes worth it.

The most interesting thing is that I used Uber and GrubHub regularly before having any of these cards. Now, if the airline credit stops working for gift cards then that would be me wasting $300 because I never have any incidentals. I'm ok flying economy with only a carry on.
Javier1704 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:40 pm
  #366  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BAY AREA
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by Javier1704 View Post
I agree 100% with you.

There is no reason for me to keep the CSR other than that I own a very small business where I earn 20,000 UR a month using my Chase Freedom Unlimited and that I can transfer those points directly to United Airlines which has really good international deals with low fees (Washington to Seville is never under $1,200 and with United is only 60,000 points and $120 fees, same for a lot of cities in Europe). I would use AMEX for my business but none of the merchants where I buy stuff accept it and 1.5 UR per dollar is the best I can do. So, I'm basically paying $150 for the ability to transfer these points to United Airlines and 1.5x redemption. If I had no business, I don't think this card would be justified, Not even with 3x on international dining and travel.

Now for personal expenses, the Gold card is a no brainer if you are in the AMEX ecosystem:
1) 5x on flights with Amex Platinum
2) 4x on dining and grocery store (I think this accounts for 70% of my credit card spending) with Amex Gold
3) 2x on everthing else with Amex Blue Business Plus

For the annual fees, as far as I'm concerned, the math checks out: $800 ($550 plat + $250 gold) - $300 airline credit (gift cards on southwest) - $120 dining credit - $200 Uber credits = $180 for Platinum benefits? Totes worth it.

The most interesting thing is that I used Uber and GrubHub regularly before having any of these cards. Now, if the airline credit stops working for gift cards then that would be me wasting $300 because I never have any incidentals. I'm ok flying economy with only a carry on.
You can always get the ink business for 95 a year and be able to transfer points
trikotret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:49 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by trikotret View Post


You can always get the ink business for 95 a year and be able to transfer points
You're right. But the difference is only $55 more and I get to keep primary car insurance and put my travel expenses like hotels, Expedia purchases, etc., on my CSR. I think that is worth the extra $55.
Javier1704 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:04 pm
  #368  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,729
Does Trader Joe’s count as grocery spend?
355F1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:08 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Does Trader Joe’s count as grocery spend?
Trader Joe's shows as Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries and Description
GROCERY STORES,SUPE on my Amex BBP.

My guess is that it does.
Javier1704 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:10 pm
  #370  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 10,414
Big question is: how will Chase respond? I suspect it will want to act quickly, as it appears that many people are rethinking the CSR now... I guess it just goes to show that nothing is "forever."
cuthroat likes this.
ESpen36 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:13 pm
  #371  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,456
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Does Trader Joe’s count as grocery spend?
Discussion here:

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 2:52 pm
  #372  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 127
Also, to stop posting a lot in here, one last question:

Have anyone received their Gold card yet? I applied Thursday night and it says "Pending", Shipping Method: UPS. Didn't know that Amex would also expedite it as they do with the Platinum.

Added it to my Apple Wallet and started using it already.
Javier1704 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:02 pm
  #373  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Posts: 3,729
Originally Posted by Javier1704 View Post
Trader Joe's shows as Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries and Description
GROCERY STORES,SUPE on my Amex BBP.

My guess is that it does.
Awesome.

Thank you for checking!
355F1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:08 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
its interesting outside US amex gives portfolios of cards



i would be shocked they did
If I'm running any business I'd happily give a gold colored card and a rose gold colored card (these are anyways already manufactured in the quality of hundreds of thousands) to someone paying me thousands in annual fee as well as bringing me tens of thousands of interchange fees per year. That's not even counting other potentially even bigger (profit) opportunities if I can keep him/her happy

What are you shocked about?

Last edited by smith16john; Oct 6, 18 at 4:13 pm
smith16john is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 4:18 pm
  #375  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by Javier1704 View Post
Also, to stop posting a lot in here, one last question:

Have anyone received their Gold card yet? I applied Thursday night and it says "Pending", Shipping Method: UPS. Didn't know that Amex would also expedite it as they do with the Platinum.

Added it to my Apple Wallet and started using it already.
Mine shows delivery by Thursday 10/11 - it also does not look like you can request a metal Gold card anymore...they must have hit a limit after 10/4
lax01 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread