Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Various
As per others, my wife wanted the new rose gold option (she has a supp card on my legacy Gold PRG account); I had to get the rose gold card too for my card as the primary (basic) cardholder on the PRG account - my Centurion RM took care of all of this for us, and cards are on their way. Card number doesn't change. but expiry and CVV does so will need to update any re-occurring payments.

Got an email notification via Apple Pay last night that new card is issued, and the card image in Apple pay updated already to reflect the new Rose Gold option:
Statman likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
As per others, my wife wanted the new rose gold option (she has a supp card on my legacy Gold PRG account); I had to get the rose gold card too for my card as the primary (basic) cardholder on the PRG account - my Centurion RM took care of all of this for us, and cards are on their way. Card number doesn't change. but expiry and CVV does so will need to update any re-occurring payments.

Got an email notification via Apple Pay last night that new card is issued, and the card image in Apple pay updated already to reflect the new Rose Gold option:
Hot Damn! 3 centurions
​​​​
Statman, lax01, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Explorer789
I'm guessing the rose gold is going to very similar to the iPhone rose gold. It's a collector's item. Get the Rose Gold now. If you really don't like it, you can always ask them to send for the standard gold one later.
It's a collector's item the way that Batman cups at McDonalds are collectors items.

I don't care for the color myself.

My Capital One card used to ask me to personalize the image on it. But every photo I sent in they rejected, claiming it was copyrighted. They were all photos I took myself. I could go for a personalized Amex.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

had you not seen rose gold before?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hotturnip
It's a collector's item the way that Batman cups at McDonalds are collectors items.

My Capital One card used to ask me to personalize the image on it. But every photo I sent in they rejected, claiming it was copyrighted. They were all photos I took myself. I could go for a personalized Amex.
That's funny.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hotturnip

I still keep my old Citibank card issued in 1990s. It gets my picture on the front Super nice.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
.... card issued in 1990s. It gets my picture on the front ....
Do you submit an updated image?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
When I did the chat to get the rose gold, the CSR pasted some legalese about it being a “product change”, which I found odd. It seems in the system the rose gold gold card is its own product. I guess that’s how Apple Pay can display the right image etc.

It also says all future replacements will be rose gold, past the 1/9 deadline.

I mainly got the rose gold because I also have the BGR in my wallet and it’s annoying that they’re almost identical. I don’t mind the color though.

Already switched all US restaurant spending to it from the CSR. Not sure how long 4x will last.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by wco81
What do you mean your AMEX page?

You just logged in and it popped up there?

Or did you click links? For instance, I log in, see my existing Amex cards. Scroll down to the bottom and I can click Credit Cards and it shows "Featured" cards but then I can click Rewards card and it will show the Gold card but with the 25k offer.

The Platinum card offer is for 60k points.

I had the Platinum Amex last year and I canceled it earlier this year. But I had the PRG through early 2017 when I upgraded to the Platinum.

So maybe too soon for them to offer me the bigger offers.
The 50k MR for $2k spend on the new AMEX GOLD popped up on my pre-qualified cards page on my AMEX.com profile. I also got an email inviting me to apply. I applied for the card today and was approved. I got the Rose Gold.....haha....even though it looks pink.

I check card match tool once in awhile to see if I can get the 100k MR for the PLT but it has never showed up--until yesterday. I didn't jump on it, and it is no longer showing on the website with the 100k MR SUB.

I think I will be better off with this GOLD card as I already get membership to the One World First Class lounges at LAX, LHR, & HKG, which is most of my travels--all of my travel is for fun, not business.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
It's pretty annoying that when I go to the AMEX website, the default offer for PRG is 50k MR for $2k spend. But when I log in to apply, it tells me the offer is no longer valid and has me click through to a page that only offers 25k. AMEX definitely not showing me the love!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by gengar
It's pretty annoying that when I go to the AMEX website, the default offer for PRG is 50k MR for $2k spend. But when I log in to apply, it tells me the offer is no longer valid and has me click through to a page that only offers 25k. AMEX definitely not showing me the love!
Use an incognito window.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Hot Damn! 3 centurions
​​​​
I have a Centurion account in the UK and another one in the US. For the UK product, the main cardholder gets issued a 2nd card on their account (it's called the Additional Card) - idea is that you can use it to separate spending between business/personal. The AC is issued in plastic, which also helps with the automated machines at train stations and car parks that 'ingest' your card as the metal versions had a tendency to get stuck in the mechanism.
twkidM3, cuthroat and JONJON451 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:04 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mia
Do you submit an updated image?
Unfortunately that original Citibank card was closed and the history got lost....
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
As per others, my wife wanted the new rose gold option (she has a supp card on my legacy Gold PRG account); I had to get the rose gold card too for my card as the primary (basic) cardholder on the PRG account....
A bit shocked that they won't even do centurion holder a small favor of 'differently colored card'.

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2018 at 4:57 am Reason: Please do not "quote" images.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
...default offer for PRG is 50k MR for $2k spend. But when I log in to apply, it tells me the offer is no longer valid and has me click through to a page that only offers 25k.....
50,000 point offers are readily available here:

American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.