Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:22 am

Update as I appear to be the only one bummed about Safeway and their other stores they own (like Tom Thumb) coding as gas with AmEx:

The Citi purchase coded as Grocery, Supermarket. Only got 1x back.
My wife's purchase on her Gold Card came back Fuel Center. 1x back.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by MfingStarBoy
Currently, my fuel purchases at the pump at Tom Thumb do code as gas and I get the 3x back. This might also be another value boost for the Ink Cash card across all Safeways. It seems this is a nationwide occurrence from other forums I am reading. Rather than complain about it, I'll adapt and use it to my advantage. I can always get gift cards at Albertsons or Kroger with my Gold Card.
Do you mean 2x on the Ink Cash on fuel?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm experiencing the issue at two different Safeways.
One of the two Safeways is now coding correctly as groceries.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Anyone have experience with whether Shake Shack orders placed through the web or app qualify for the $10/mo credit?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by strife
Anyone have experience with whether Shake Shack orders placed through the web or app qualify for the $10/mo credit?
If they code as Shake Shack it shouldn't be a problem IMHO. Just to be sure, why not just order when you get to the location? As an aside, I just checked to see if Shake Shack even still participated since a recent dine seems to be taking a long time to issue the $10 credit.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by christianj
If they code as Shake Shack it shouldn't be a problem IMHO. Just to be sure, why not just order when you get to the location? As an aside, I just checked to see if Shake Shack even still participated since a recent dine seems to be taking a long time to issue the $10 credit.
My February credit took about a week to post - ordered from GrubHub on 13 Feb, credit posted today.

In other words, it's probably not a Shake Shack thing, it's an AMEX thing.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Credit from the Shake Shack app takes about a week to post. In store maybe 4 days.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by strife
Online orders credited fine when I tried last year (don't have any recent data points as I no longer have the card).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:46 am

Does anyone know if the $10 dining credit will apply to the new Grubhub+ and Seamless+ services? They are both now offering a $9.99 a month subscription for unlimited free deliveries and 10% cashback on orders of $12 or more.
sdsearch, GTITAN and lax01 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Any thoughts what AmEx might do with monthly dining credits now that so many participating restaurants are closed?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ebusch
Does anyone know if the $10 dining credit will apply to the new Grubhub+ and Seamless+ services? They are both now offering a $9.99 a month subscription for unlimited free deliveries and 10% cashback on orders of $12 or more.
A post on reddit yesterday said it the $10 credit did apply to Grubhub+ https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2020/fkori45/

Originally Posted by Tanic
Any thoughts what AmEx might do with monthly dining credits now that so many participating restaurants are closed?
My guess is nothing will change, at least not yet. At least here in NYC, those restaurants are for the most part still open, just delivery/takeout only.
Tanic and sdsearch like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:31 pm

Closed? Most are still available for pickup
sdsearch, lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:44 pm

I came here wondering the same. Even though many restaurants are open for take out and delivery, right now many people are hesitant to do even those dining activities. I think Amex should let the credits accumulate for the time being, so that if and when things return to normal we can use accumulated credits.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by sdnativeboy
I came here wondering the same. Even though many restaurants are open for take out and delivery, right now many people are hesitant to do even those dining activities. I think Amex should let the credits accumulate for the time being, so that if and when things return to normal we can use accumulated credits.
Or they should just make a general $10 dining credit. You would be able to use it to fill Starbucks app
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
AMEX Gold proving its worth. Whole Foods spending going up significantly as dining spend goes down (but still spending on dining through takeout restaurants and Grubhub)., is
sdsearch and GTITAN like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.