Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR (USA) to Avios (BA/EI/IB) 40% transfer bonus 9.15.2018 - 11.15.2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR (USA) to Avios (BA/EI/IB) 40% transfer bonus 9.15.2018 - 11.15.2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by username
If one plans to book flights, especially on BA, out of HKG, read this: https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/09/ho...-flights-asap/ and book before November.
Would this mean higher prices (fuel surcharges) for Avios bookings on Cathay or AA metal out of HKG after November 1?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nyc112244
Is this as good as it gets for transferring points to an airline?
If all you care about is bonus, and not the ability to actually redeem for a desirable product at a reasonable cost.

If I had 2M Avios, I would not be transferring to BA. I'd be using them on SQ for F suites or AC for LH F.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, but there are issues with seeing CX availability within the last five days before the flight, sometimes BA doesn't have it or doesn't show it online.
I would say there is more generally an issue with CX now being excessively stingy with J and F award space intra-Asia.

I've got 35k orphaned Avios I haven't been able to use for over a year b/c CX now releases so little space. The days of easy intra-Asia awards are unfortunately long gone.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kacee

I've got 35k orphaned Avios I haven't been able to use for over a year b/c CX now releases so little space. The days of easy intra-Asia awards are unfortunately long gone.
Yeah, HKG-BKK used to wide open but now it can be really hard to find when I need to tack it on to an LAX-HKG award.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yeah, HKG-BKK used to wide open but now it can be really hard to find when I need to tack it on to an LAX-HKG award.
Exactly. I used to redeem Avios for HKG-BKK several times a year. Also did HKG-HKT, HKG-HND, HKG-NRT, HKG-ICN, HKG-TPE, and HKG-SIN. All those routes used to have very solid availability. Now I simply can't burn my orphaned Avios.

I now use KF and UA for SQ and TG redemptions instead. My last HKG-BKK I just bought J on TG for $600 US. HK is even cheaper (around $400). Whereas CX wants $750 for its crappy regional product. I used to really enjoy flying CX, but they've basically taken themselves out of the game for both award and paid tickets.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:09 am

I'm logging on this morning and see ratio is 1:1 (no 40% bonus). Am I missing something? I recently downgraded my Plat to Green, if it means anything.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt, Wyndham, National
Originally Posted by slice
I'm logging on this morning and see ratio is 1:1 (no 40% bonus). Am I missing something? I recently downgraded my Plat to Green, if it means anything.
I have checked yesterday and saw the 40% bonus. Just logged in, the bonus is gone. I have the Personal Platinum and the Gold Card. Really strange.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by larsbutzmann
I have checked yesterday and saw the 40% bonus. Just logged in, the bonus is gone. I have the Personal Platinum and the Gold Card. Really strange.
I called and was told they are updating system and to check back in an hour or two. The agent I spoke with wasn't able to make any transfers at all with her system. So hopefully just temporary.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt, Wyndham, National
Originally Posted by slice
I called and was told they are updating system and to check back in an hour or two. The agent I spoke with wasn't able to make any transfers at all with her system. So hopefully just temporary.
I just checked and its back
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Amex. united, southwest, alaska
Help PleaseWondering if someone can help me, I have been accumulating Amex points for a couple of years and now want to transfer to an airline. I see that Amex has a 40% premium if transferred to either Air Lingus or British Air. I would like to take my wife to Europe and keep some points for domestic US flights. I have heard that fees for Business Class are very expensive on Air Lingus, not sure of British Air and am a neophyte on booking award tickets so have no idea which program is better.
Please give advice, thanks,
Lobsterman
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by lobsterman
Help PleaseWondering if someone can help me, I have been accumulating Amex points for a couple of years and now want to transfer to an airline. I see that Amex has a 40% premium if transferred to either Air Lingus or British Air. I would like to take my wife to Europe and keep some points for domestic US flights. I have heard that fees for Business Class are very expensive on Air Lingus, not sure of British Air and am a neophyte on booking award tickets so have no idea which program is better.
Please give advice, thanks,
Lobsterman
I'm flying Business Class JFK-MAD on Iberia Avios. I think it was 36k Avios plus reasonable fees (not like BA). Note again that BA avios can be transferred to Iberia. I know nothing about Aer Lingus. Once in Spain its easy to get to the rest of Europe for very few points. I'm heading on to FCO after a few days in Madrid.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:17 pm

Folks I am looking for 3 tickets from LAX to Peru (LIM/CUZ). Is this a good xfer deal?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Folks I am looking for 3 tickets from LAX to Peru (LIM/CUZ). Is this a good xfer deal?
Only if you can find three award seats on LATAM's LAX-LIM nonstop flights.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Only if you can find three award seats on LATAM's LAX-LIM nonstop flights.
I checked BA website for availability in June 2019 and did not see any...should I look for avails on Iberia website? sorry I am new to this so not sure.. Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:35 pm

The reward doesn't make any sense. I am just checking a flight from San Francisco to London for next year, June, 2019

The website quote me 32500 Avios + $ 544.93.

I can easily get a ticket for around $500 US with United Airlines, why do I want to pay $544.93 and use 32500 Avios points to book a ticket from BA?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:23 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Racky
.... why do I want to pay $544.93 and use 32500 Avios points to book a ticket from BA?
You don't want to use Avios for transatlantic flights. Instead, you could use them for domestic USA flights operated by American Airlines or Alaska Airlines -or- other flights in North and South America -or- flights between the UK and other countries in Europe.

Begin by studying this thread in the British Airways forum:

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition
Racky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.