FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   PRG - Buying tickets thru Amex travel or Airline website (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1930613-prg-buying-tickets-thru-amex-travel-airline-website.html)

abhilife2001 Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am

PRG - Buying tickets thru Amex travel or Airline website

Hello,
Am aware that PRG gives 3x points if tickets bought directly from airline websites & 2x if bought thru Amex travel site.
If we are getting the same fares on both places, any reason we should book thru Amex travel?

Basically, am not sure why someone would book thru Amex travel if prices are similar, so wanted to reconfirm.

Thanks,

Statman Sep 14, 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 30203789)
Hello,
Am aware that PRG gives 3x points if tickets bought directly from airline websites & 2x if bought thru Amex travel site.
If we are getting the same fares on both places, any reason we should book thru Amex travel?

Basically, am not sure why someone would book thru Amex travel if prices are similar, so wanted to reconfirm.

Thanks,

PRG does not give you 2x MR when booking through Amex travel. It only gives you 3x MR when booking directly on an airlines website.

abhilife2001 Sep 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 30203899)
PRG does not give you 2x MR when booking through Amex travel. It only gives you 3x MR when booking directly on an airlines website.

Their website with benefits seems to say it does.. https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-rewards-gold/

And if it doesn't, then unless someone gets a deal which is not available anywhere else, why go thru Amex travel at all?

Statman Sep 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 30203943)
Their website with benefits seems to say it does..https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-rewards-gold/

And if it doesn't, then unless someone gets a deal which is not available anywhere else, why go thru Amex travel at all?

Interesting. Had no idea that PRG gave 2x MR for purchase using Amex Travel.

But to answer your question, I never book through Amex Travel using my PRG. Their fares are usually identical to the ones found on the airlines' own website.

mia Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm

If you click through from that page to the actual terms you will read:

Extra Membership Rewards® points at amextravel.com

2x Points
Membership Rewards-enrolled Card Members get at least 1 Membership Rewards® point for every eligible dollar spent on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card. Those same Card Members will also get at least 1 additional point for each dollar of eligible travel purchases made on amextravel.com on their Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card. Eligible travel purchases include all travel purchases made with your Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express® Card on amextravel.com, including air, prepaid hotels, vacation packages (flight + hotel packages) or cruise reservations, minus returns and other credits. Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members are only eligible for 1 additional point on cruise reservations. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, ticketing service or other fees, or interest charges. Bonuses you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer, such as 5X bonuses for Platinum and Business Platinum Card Members. Any portion of a charge that you elect to cover through redemption of Membership Rewards points is not eligible to receive points. If you have an Amex EveryDay Card product, additional points awarded under this offer will not be included in the extra points benefit. Additional points will be credited to the Membership Rewards account 10-12 weeks after final payment is made.
I read this to mean that we can no longer stack the PRG 3X feature with the Amex Travel 2X feature to receive a total of 4 points per dollar on airfare.

HOWEVER, American Express practice frequently differs from written policy in the customer's favor. I would make a single purchase through Amex Travel and see how it plays out. Bear in mind the points could post at three different times:

1 base point for spending a dollar
2 bonus points for buying an airline ticket
1 bonus point for booking through Amex Travel

abhilife2001 Sep 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30204253)
If you click through from that page to the actual terms you will read:

Extra Membership Rewards® points at amextravel.com

I read this to mean that we can no longer stack the PRG 3X feature with the Amex Travel 2X feature to receive a total of 4 points per dollar on airfare.

HOWEVER, American Express practice frequently differs from written policy in the customer's favor. I would make a single purchase through Amex Travel and see how it plays out. Bear in mind the points could post at three different times:

1 base point for spending a dollar
2 bonus points for buying an airline ticket
1 bonus point for booking through Amex Travel

If this is the experience of folks, then it makes sense..

mia Sep 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 30204322)
If this is the experience of folks, then it makes sense..

It was (past tense) the experience, provided the travel agency passed the transaction through for the airline to bill. See this thread from 2013:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-via-ota.html

Since then, American Express added the 5X airfare feature to Platinum, and they amended the terms to specify 5 points total, not 5+1. I expect they also built a software check to implement this, and if it also picks up Gold cards you might no longer earn 4 points per dollar. To be clear, I do not know the answer, and suggest a test.

Gig103 Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 30203943)

There isn't a reason to. Amex Travel is run by Orbitz, so it's like choosing them, or Expedia, instead of booking direct. Heck, over on the Platinum travel desk, they charge $39 to book tickets that sometimes are the same price as direct.