Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I keep points earned from canceled card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: CO Plat (former), US Gold (former), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver (former)
Do I keep points earned from canceled card

I have a Gold and Everyday card. My AF anniversary is 11/15. If I cancel on the 16th, to avoid the 12 month rule since it was a new card, do I keep the points "pending" from recent purchases?

I have an Everyday card so I know I won't lose previously earned points. And if I cancel the card the day after the 12 month anniversary I should get a refund on the new year AF and avoid a claw back of the sign up bonus points. My question is on "pending" point loss close to a card closure.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NationalCCW
I have a Gold and Everyday card. My AF anniversary is 11/15. If I cancel on the 16th, to avoid the 12 month rule since it was a new card, do I keep the points "pending" from recent purchases?

I have an Everyday card so I know I won't lose previously earned points. And if I cancel the card the day after the 12 month anniversary I should get a refund on the new year AF and avoid a claw back of the sign up bonus points. My question is on "pending" point loss close to a card closure.
First of all, Amex usually waits until the 13th month or so to bill your second year AF. So why not wait until you get billed for the second year AF to close? Then you'll be clearly at 13 months, which is not 12 months. We don't know closely Amex counts 12 months.

Pending points are likely to disappear. So if you really plan to cancel, you have to stop using the card a couple months earlier.

But are you intending to apply for other Amex cards int future? Because, if so, cancelling the Gold may prevent you front getting a bonus on the next Amex card you apply for:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html

So you may want to see if you can get a retention bonus by calling:

Retention department:

before you decide to cancel. (But again, results on that may better if you wait until the annual fee is billed.)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Location: CO Plat (former), US Gold (former), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver (former)
So you recommend waiting for the 13th month when the AF is billed and it will be refunded when I cancel? I can also check the retention line you provided.

I have the Hilton Ascend card that I will pay the AF for. As for losing out on new offers, I've gotten a lot of points trying 4 new Amex card this past year, I am willing to keep 2 the Ascend card and the Everyday card, but I don't see value in keeping the Gold and Green card for those AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.