So, I just cancelled my SPG Amex card. What now?

Old Sep 5, 18, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
So, I just cancelled my SPG Amex card. What now?

After 7+ years with this card - never my main card, but rather my exclusive for Starwood - I'm finally out. I've been using Chase Sapphire Reserve as my main card pretty much since it launched and love it. Yes, the annual fee is $450, but I really think I get the value for that fee. I also have the Amazon card with Chase - strictly for Amazon purchases - but am wondering whether I should get a new Amex card. The Platinum seems overkill given my happiness with Chase (even with that 100K point bonus offer I often get in the mail).But perhaps I'm missing something.

I'm leaning to just keeping the Chase SR as my "only" card, what does this expert group think/recommend? BTW, my guess is that I receive about 300,000 points a year from my CSR. And oh, I have no interested in churning cards.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:15 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
How much of your Sapphire Reserve spending is on airfare?

Recommended reading:

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-referral.html
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have the CSR and AMEX Platinum and like both. They are different cards. The AMEX Platinum is a perks card while the CSR is a points card. However, Chase just lost Korean Airlines as a partner. It seems the CSR is moving more towards being more of a glorified cash back card for travel. The only two unique Chase partners that are worthwhile is United and Hyatt. Their other partners aren't unique to Chase (Avios, FlyingBlue, KrisFlyer) or are revenue based systems (JetBlue, Southwest). I've been slowly moving more spend to AMEX as I get better value from AMEX MR. Chase also never has had transfer bonuses like AMEX and Citi.
Old Sep 5, 18, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks mia, I will absolutely look through both of your links later today or tomorrow. The first link is exactly for me (!) and the second one also seems relevant (though I'll confess I don't quite understand the title)

Separately, my airfare spend is about $15,000 per year. Enough to keep me at United 1K and a little extra to Southwest and a couple of other airlines.
Old Sep 5, 18, 3:22 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by princetonflyer View Post
....the second one also seems relevant (though I'll confess I don't quite understand the title)
It's simple, American Express offers a free card that earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar on ALL spending, capped at $50,000 per year. It might make sense to use that card outside the Travel and Dining categories which earn3 points with Sapphire Reserve

.... airfare spend is about $15,000 per year. ....
If you moved that spend from Sapphire Reserve to American Express Platinum you would net 30,000 additional points per year. Factor that into your assessment of whether it makes sense to have both cards.
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:04 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

I'm keeping my AmEx Plat, Chase CSR, RC CCs and all the Marriott and SPG cards. I'm cutting the AmEx Gold cards.

The only airline card I want to keep is the United. Cutting both AA and Delta to base no fee cards. Already cut Southwest CC.

With Chase CSR and AmEx Plat, I do not see much needs to keep airline CCs, except to keep the status. The card earnings are bad.
Old Sep 27, 18, 10:44 am

Should I cancel Amex SPG?

I'm currently rethinking paying the $95 AF for my Amex SPG. My other Primary cards are: Amex PRG for Groceries and Gas, and the Chase Sapphire Reserve for Travel/Dining. I use the SPG for all non bonus spending.

My 3 questions:

1. Would my credit take a hit by closing this account? If so, should I downgrade to a different American Express no fee card with this credit line?
2. Would my SPG points stay open?
3. What card would be recommended to replace this spend?
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:45 am
mia

1a. Closing an account has "an" effect on your credit history and score. It is unlikely to be an important effect unless you have a short credit history with few other cards.

1b. There is no downgrade possibility. See HERE.

2. Closing the credit card has no direct effect on points already in your SPG/ Marriott accounts, but make sure you understand their expiration policy. These are hotel points, not credit card points.

3. There are many, many, threads discussing which program(s) or card(s) to replace SPG. To answer the question for yourself you need to know your spending -and- redemption patterns. Did you redeem points for hotel stays, convert to airline miles or something else?
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:48 pm

Redemption is typically for miles, or hotel stays.
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:55 pm
mia

Points are still valid for hotel stays, and Marriott has carefully orchestrated parity between the cards issued by American Express and Chase. If you are changing to another chain, that will tell you which cards to consider.

Choosing an alternate card program for airline miles primarily depends on which airline(s) you transfer to.
Old Sep 27, 18, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Points are still valid for hotel stays, and Marriott has carefully orchestrated parity between the cards issued by American Express and Chase. If you are changing to another chain, that will tell you which cards to consider.

Choosing an alternate card program for airline miles primarily depends on which airline(s) you transfer to.
The existing miles would still be eligible for transfer to airlines miles as well, correct?
Old Sep 27, 18, 6:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JEStarr View Post
The existing miles would still be eligible for transfer to airlines miles as well, correct?
Yes, at the new Marriott transfer ratios:

3000: 1000
60000: 25000

Search this Thread
Search Engine: