Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Hilton Aspire vs SPG Lux

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Value of Hilton Aspire vs SPG Lux

Hilton Aspire - Year 1
Fee - $450
100,000 Points - $500 at 0.5 cents per point
Free weekend night - Maximum value of 95,000 points (if redeemed for an expensive room), or $475
$100 Hilton On-Property Credit - Pretty easy to get
$250 Hilton Resort Credit - Not sure if I will stay at a Hilton resort in any given year
$250 Airline credit - can be used to purchase gift cards
Diamond Status - free lounge access and breakfast at basically all Hilton
Earnings - 7% on Hilton Stays, 3.5% on dining and flights, 1.5% on everything else

Year 2
Fee - $450
Everything except for the sign-up bonus

SPG Lux - Year 1
Fee - $450
125,000 Points (I have this targeted offer) - $1,000 at 0.8 cents per point
$300 resort credit - easily usable at all Marriott hotels
Earnings - 4.8% on Marriott stays, 2.4% on Dining and flights, 1.6% on everything else

SPG Lux - Year 2
Fee - $450
Free Anniversary night up to 50,000 Points - $400
Earnings - 4.8% on Marriott stays, 2.4% on Dining and flights, 1.6% on everything else

I'm not including Priority Pass benefits for either card because they are available with Amex Platinum
I'm also not including any value for Marriott Gold status it is also available with Amex Platinum

Even with the higher sign-up bonus for the SPG Lux, am I wrong in viewing the Hilton Aspire as more rewarding even in Year 1 provided that I can use the free weekend night?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Free weekend night - Maximum value of 95,000 points (if redeemed for an expensive room), or $475
I rarely value anything at maximum value, simply because it'll never happen. Points and what not should be used at my convenience... not the other way around.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
I rarely value anything at maximum value, simply because it'll never happen. Points and what not should be used at my convenience... not the other way around.
How would you value the weekend night certificate and the 50,000 point certificate, respectively?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:03 am

Well, after seeing all the points you mention, in my opinion I think the best option is the Hilton Aspire, but also depends on each person, I believe that in the end you will have to try both and decide you.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Sebas Candia
Well, after seeing all the points you mention, in my opinion I think the best option is the Hilton Aspire, but also depends on each person, I believe that in the end you will have to try both and decide you.
Bingo.

For me it wouldnt matter if the Aspire gave me a 150k signup bonus or 3 free nights because I don't enjoy staying at Hiltons. SPG and even Marriott and Hyatt have served me better than Hilton over the years to the point I wouldn't stay there even if the card gave me a few free nights. I did get the Aspire last year and SPG Luxurt last week and I think of dropping Aspire this year. Have a week at Hilton Curacao coming up and will make a decision based on that one goes.

At the same time I have a UK based friend who tells me he has had epic Hilton stays around Europe and he really likes the brand. For him the Aspire card would make more sense even if the signup bonus were worth less than the AF.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Even with the higher sign-up bonus for the SPG Lux, am I wrong in viewing the Hilton Aspire as more rewarding even in Year 1 provided that I can use the free weekend night?
I don't think you're wrong. I think the Aspire is a better value in year 1, and subsequent years too, assuming you can utilize the resort and airline credits. The new SPG Lux card is a pretty disappointing offering in comparison. It makes sense for a year for the bonus, and I got it for that, but I don't see it being a keeper card. A net $150 AF year over year for what? Most of its benefits are duplicated by other cards and the status it gives isn't very useful.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't think you're wrong. I think the Aspire is a better value in year 1, and subsequent years too, assuming you can utilize the resort and airline credits. The new SPG Lux card is a pretty disappointing offering in comparison. It makes sense for a year for the bonus, and I got it for that, but I don't see it being a keeper card. A net $150 AF year over year for what? Most of its benefits are duplicated by other cards and the status it gives isn't very useful.
I agree. Aspire is objectively a "better" card, whereas the AMEX SPG Luxury card provides little or no value above annual fee on an ongoing basis.

That said, Aspire only makes sense it you stay at enough Hiltons every year to pull the value from it. Also, if you're primarily looking at the value of promotional bonus, Hilton points aren't worth very much.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I agree with most thing in you analysis (this is my very personal opinion).
Several thing I disagree in this:

Hilton Aspire - Year 1
Fee - $450
150,000 Points - $750 at 0.5 cents per point NEW BONUS
Free weekend night - Maximum value of 95,000 points (if redeemed for an expensive room), I would pay $300 for a night in a top tier hotel.
$100 Hilton On-Property Credit - (Not gonna use it probably as it requires certain specific rate)
$250 Hilton Resort Credit - Very easy to use since you will use it with the free weekend night to stay two nights or to pay for food etc.
$250 Airline credit - Purchase AA gift cards very easy.
Diamond Status - free lounge access and breakfast at basically all Hilton and the occasional suite upgrade (I have received several)
Earnings - 7% on Hilton Stays, 3.5% on dining and flights, 1.5% on everything else

Year 2
Fee - $450

SPG Lux - Year 1
Fee - $450

SPG Lux - Year 2
Fee - $450
Free Anniversary night up to 50,000 Points - Next year new award chart comes and up to 50 means off peak on the nice properties (which cost $200 on the bad season) or peak on the low end properties (which also cost around $200). I would value this at most $100
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Up to $100 Hilton On-Property Credit - Tried to use at The London Conrad property in NYC and lowest available rates per night for the dates I selected were more than $50 per night less than the special rate code to receive the $100 On-Property Credit so it just seems like a marketing gimmick.
frankhi likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I agree with most thing in you analysis (this is my very personal opinion).
Several thing I disagree in this:

Hilton Aspire - Year 1
Fee - $450
150,000 Points - $750 at 0.5 cents per point NEW BONUS
Free weekend night - Maximum value of 95,000 points (if redeemed for an expensive room), I would pay $300 for a night in a top tier hotel.
$100 Hilton On-Property Credit - (Not gonna use it probably as it requires certain specific rate)
$250 Hilton Resort Credit - Very easy to use since you will use it with the free weekend night to stay two nights or to pay for food etc.
$250 Airline credit - Purchase AA gift cards very easy.
Diamond Status - free lounge access and breakfast at basically all Hilton and the occasional suite upgrade (I have received several)

Year 2
Fee - $450

SPG Lux - Year 1
Fee - $450

SPG Lux - Year 2
Fee - $450
Free Anniversary night up to 50,000 Points - Next year new award chart comes and up to 50 means off peak on the nice properties (which cost $200 on the bad season) or peak on the low end properties (which also cost around $200). I would value this at most $100
Regarding the resort credit, I am probably more likely to use the free weekend nights and points in general on city locations (Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills. Waldorf Astoria Paris, Hilton Paris Opera, Hilton or Waldorf Berlin, etc) than resorts, so not sure if I would use the benefit annually. Probably every other year.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
That said, Aspire only makes sense it you stay at enough Hiltons every year to pull the value from it. Also, if you're primarily looking at the value of promotional bonus, Hilton points aren't worth very much.
I don't completely agree. Between the resort credit, free weekend night, and airline credit, that more than pays up for the $450 af. If you spend that amount on this type of travel already, you are going to get some nice perks. Any other Hilton stays are gravy. You can get some expensive properties with that free night.

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Up to $100 Hilton On-Property Credit - Tried to use at The London Conrad property in NYC and lowest available rates per night for the dates I selected were more than $50 per night less than the special rate code to receive the $100 On-Property Credit so it just seems like a marketing gimmick.
Agreed. This benefit is a joke.

The Aspire has better spend return, more credits that are "easier" to hit, and gives you a better loyalty status. It is the better card. The SPG is the better churn. Now if you are a fan of SPG/Marriott, then the SPG is a better card for you, easily. There's also some uncertainty out there how SPG/Mariott will look after all of this merging.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Hi,
Has anyone been able to apply / sign up for the new offer on the Amex Aspire? I am checking my HHonors account > Credits cards but can only see the regular sign up bonus.

Also, I am checking the Aspire T&C but can't see anything about the Free weekend night certificate having a max value of 95,000 points. What happens if a hotel doesn't have standard rooms available and the only rooms available have a higher points cost. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't completely agree. Between the resort credit, free weekend night, and airline credit, that more than pays up for the $450 af. If you spend that amount on this type of travel already, you are going to get some nice perks. Any other Hilton stays are gravy. You can get some expensive properties with that free night.
You've kind of missed the point. if you don't stay at a Hilton resort, and/or can't use the Hilton free weekend night, you're not going to pull the full value from the card. Neither of these is a given for many people. It really depends on travel patterns and frequency.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Bingo.

For me it wouldnt matter if the Aspire gave me a 150k signup bonus or 3 free nights because I don't enjoy staying at Hiltons. SPG and even Marriott and Hyatt have served me better than Hilton over the years to the point I wouldn't stay there even if the card gave me a few free nights. I did get the Aspire last year and SPG Luxurt last week and I think of dropping Aspire this year. Have a week at Hilton Curacao coming up and will make a decision based on that one goes.

At the same time I have a UK based friend who tells me he has had epic Hilton stays around Europe and he really likes the brand. For him the Aspire card would make more sense even if the signup bonus were worth less than the AF.
Thanks and im agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.