FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   $50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1927690-50-credit-saks-5th-ave-every-6-months-plat-card-2018-2021-a.html)

Diplomatico Jun 26, 2018 3:48 pm

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Starting in July 2018:

"The consumer version of the American Express Platinum card is getting a new benefit addition: an annual $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit. $50 to spend from January to June, and $50 for July through September.

The new program, which will begin on July 1, is called “Shop Saks with Platinum.” This benefit does need registration in July at this link, similar to the way we register for the $200 airline credit."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...venue-benefit/

Edit: I'll be the first to say it: I'm whelmed.

Statman Jun 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29909804)
Starting in July 2018:

"The consumer version of the American Express Platinum card is getting a new benefit addition: an annual $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit. $50 to spend from January to June, and $50 for July through September.

The new program, which will begin on July 1, is called “Shop Saks with Platinum.” This benefit does need registration in July at this link, similar to the way we register for the $200 airline credit."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...venue-benefit/

Very nice. I have the Platinum mainly for IAP, FHR and the Delta SkyClub access.

This additional $100 credit at Saks is just icing on the cake for me.

kennycrudup Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29909804)
I'll be the first to say it: I'm whelmed.

*sigh* ... I'll probably now at least head in there just to look around- so there'll possibly be a sale of some kind, where there was none before. Damn you AmEx! :)

RumPatrol Jun 26, 2018 4:38 pm

What is with Amex and dividing up their benefits by month? Just give us the full credit to use whenever.

I don't really shop at Saks as there isn't one all that convenient to me, but I do stop in at Off 5th quite often to see if they have any good quality overstock items (mainly ties). If this would work for Off 5th, I'd use all $100 of this without any difficulty whatsoever. Does the credit not work from October to December though? The DoC article quoted above says $50 from January to June and $50 from July to September.

I guess any benefit is a good benefit but this seems really random.

Diplomatico Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29909963)
What is with Amex and dividing up their benefits by month? Just give us the full credit to use whenever.

I don't really shop at Saks as there isn't one all that convenient to me, but I do stop in at Off 5th quite often to see if they have any good quality overstock items (mainly ties). If this would work for Off 5th, I'd use all $100 of this without any difficulty whatsoever. Does the credit not work from October to December though? The DoC article quoted above says $50 from January to June and $50 from July to September.

I guess any benefit is a good benefit but this seems really random.

I'll hazard a guess that's a typo and it's going to be a $50 credit for each of the periods Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec.

I can foresee the secondary market for discounted Saks $50 gifts cards gaining momentum soon.

Shall we begin speculating on what benefit is going away on the Plat due to this Saks credit?

Statman Jun 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29910012)
Shall we begin speculating on what benefit is going away on the Plat due to this Saks credit?

If I were a betting man, I would go with the Uber credit going away seeing how they are launching their own credit card.

Diplomatico Jun 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 29910209)
If I were a betting man, I would go with the Uber credit going away seeing how they are launching their own credit card.

Launched their own credit card. But yeah, that'd be my (completely uninformed, totally speculative, personal opinion) about what will be axed.

acarney Jun 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Well I certainly hope the Saks perk can be used online since I don’t have a store remotely convenient to me....

I’ll probably burn this credit on cologne or something... and still have to cough up $15 to $20.... oh well at least they participate in ShopRunner, I’ll finally end up using that perk some....

edit: oh! I didn’t see the “Cotten face mask” for $100 that’s coming soon.... *rolls eyes*

notquiteaff Jun 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Looks like I get a pair of clean new undies courtesy of Amex every six months :/

Never used the Uber credit, but Uber Eats just started here in my area and I thought that was maybe a way to get some value out of it.

RumPatrol Jun 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29910012)
I'll hazard a guess that's a typo and it's going to be a $50 credit for each of the periods Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec.

I can foresee the secondary market for discounted Saks $50 gifts cards gaining momentum soon.

I figured it was probably a typo but you never know with Amex. I'll say this though, I'll absolutely get some use out of this credit, which is more than I can say for the Uber credit and Global Entry credit 4 out of 5 years. If they did away with either, I wouldn't be sad.

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 29910209)

The Uber credit card is awfully attractive too but as someone who has never once used Uber stateside, I don't have a need for it, or the Uber credit from Amex. Now, if they'd make it so the Uber credit could be used overseas, as if it were, you know, a travel card, I'd be all in.

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29910614)
Well I certainly hope the Saks perk can be used online since I don’t have a store remotely convenient to me....

I’ll probably burn this credit on cologne or something... and still have to cough up $15 to $20.... oh well at least they participate in ShopRunner, I’ll finally end up using that perk some....

edit: oh! I didn’t see the “Cotten face mask” for $100 that’s coming soon.... *rolls eyes*

Shoprunner is another "perk" that I think I've used once. I'm sure the Saks credit can be used online, finding something that is under $100 or two things under $50 on the other hand...

krazykanuck Jun 26, 2018 11:26 pm

I really like the Saks add, and it's something I can see myself getting good value out of. I easily spend a $200-500 a year at saks and off 5th, so if they don't include off 5th, as long as we can buy GCs at real Saks who cares.

worldwidedreamer Jun 27, 2018 12:41 am

It seems like American Express views many benefits almost like an insurance policy it underwrites. It costs little to offer a benefit when receptions are low.

E.g United discontinued gift card sales last year; they were my designated airline. Meant that I only used $175 of the $200 credit.

The more difficult to make a claim on the benefit, the less people will use it. A Saks $50 credit used in a six month period seems straight to this thinking. Would not be surprised if Saks ate the entire cost, too.

acarney Jun 27, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29910913)
It seems like American Express views many benefits almost like an insurance policy it underwrites. It costs little to offer a benefit when receptions are low.

E.g United discontinued gift card sales last year; they were my designated airline. Meant that I only used $175 of the $200 credit.

The more difficult to make a claim on the benefit, the less people will use it. A Saks $50 credit used in a six month period seems straight to this thinking. Would not be surprised if Saks ate the entire cost, too.

Considering the prices at Sak, I would bet they’re eating the cost as well, or at least a significant portion of each, or a yearly total amount before Amex then picks up any. This is basically a coupon to get I known and targeted demographic to come shop there.

That said, a $50 credit twice a year isn’t going to get me spending $500+ on a belt or something... but the cologne might actually be something nice (instead of simply trying to burn the credit) and in a quick glance I saw at least a couple between $65 and $80. Free ShopRunner means I’m willing to spend $15 to $30 twice a year for some nice cologne :P

gmt4 Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am

Saks is a decent perk, I'll take any free credits I can get.

I always can use new neckties so that's where $50 twice a year can go.

Brian Chen Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

I like where this is going. I hope this is a start of more cross promotions with retailers and other benefits