Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
purchase submitted evening of 6/27, shipped 6/29, transaction showed pending until 7/1 when it posted with a transaction date of 6/29. $50 credit posted today with a date of 7/1.

Similar to a report above, I confirmed with a chat agent that the transaction posting date is what matters and I have $50 remaining for the second half of the year.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by dhuey
My wife is really digging this Amex Plat benefit. We just placed two orders for various Maison du Chocolat selections. Total cost $149 - $100 (two cards) = $49 for some pretty high-end chocolates. Not my thing, but it is hers.
Dhuey, how did you manage to use two cards - was it two separate orders, or an over the phone order?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Gig103
Dhuey, how did you manage to use two cards - was it two separate orders, or an over the phone order?
The former. I wish I could have combined the two orders (a bit wasteful the way I did it), but I didn't see any way to do that and still get the $50 statement credit per card.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Saks online purchases made by me on June 28th showed as pending until June 30th, but then they posted with June 29th for the date on the online statements/transaction lists. The shipment date, as with Fedex tracker, was June 30th. I still haven’t seen the Amex credits come in for those.

I wouldn’t be surprised if getting the full credit for this calendar year will require a call for a fix sometime after the next $50+ Saks purchases.
$50 credits for the above purchases posted with a July 1st date on them.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:50 am

I checked my Plat account and it says I am signed up for this. I signed up earlier in 2019. Is this not a promo that requires us to sign up every 6 months
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I checked my Plat account and it says I am signed up for this. I signed up earlier in 2019. Is this not a promo that requires us to sign up every 6 months
I have signed up only once for this. No need to do it again .

The 10% Cashback rebate is back on Ebates. I have submitted another order, this time using the standard checkout (as opposed to the "Amex Express Checkout" – which did not result in the $50 credit being automatically applied). I will report back here.

Btw, how can one start a wiki page attached to this thread to capture all this knowledge?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one that actually went *into* a SFA store to buy something and get the credit?!?
(Some Kiehl's product if you must know, lol)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Am I the only one that actually went *into* a SFA store to buy something and get the credit?!?
Personally, I would rather shop in person at Saks, but I'm out of the country and those purchases don't get reimbursed. And my home city doesn't even have a Saks. What's funny, is I'm going to be Dubai in a few months and with a search of Google maps, shows the only Sak's store has been closed
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
Btw, how can one start a wiki page attached to this thread to capture all this knowledge?
In the full desktop interface of FT, go to Thread Tools > Create Wiki. However this is only available to users who have been on FT 90+ days and made 90+ posts.

I made a first draft, inviting others to update/refine
mia and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:35 am
Suspended

If the opportunity were sensible for me, I would have bought a gift card inside an SFA store. Instead it was the .com store for a “final sale” item.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I walked into the 5th Ave store and bought a gift card. Does that count?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I walked into the 5th Ave store and bought a gift card. Does that count?
It counts as a way to use the $50 benefit even if it’s not ultimately worth $50 to you.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It counts as a way to use the $50 benefit even if it’s not ultimately worth $50 to you.
I'll end up using it over at Off 5th which is only a few blocks away. One nice thing about NY, is that it's tax free weekend all year here. Clothing under $110 per item is always sales tax exempt, which for me covers just about everything short of buying a new suit or dress shoes, which thankfully I don't have to do very often.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
If, like me, you've put this off until now, ebates has 10% off at Saks right now (and also 10% off first order for signing up for emails)

$5 is $5
You missed the 20% I used mine 5/5 when they had a 20% cashback special
Zorak likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Saks online purchases made by me on June 28th showed as pending until June 30th, but then they posted with June 29th for the date on the online statements/transaction lists. The shipment date, as with Fedex tracker, was June 30th. I still haven’t seen the Amex credits come in for those.

I wouldn’t be surprised if getting the full credit for this calendar year will require a call for a fix sometime after the next $50+ Saks purchases.

$50 credits for the above purchases posted with a July 1st date on them.
Same here. Purchased online 28 June, showed as pending, shipped on July 1st, and now charge posted as July 1st. Waiting to see how the credit gets posted but this is feeling like a real bait and switch if Saks is allowed to “pick” transaction date based on random ship dates. Wonder if challenging the July 1st transaction date as a charge back will be necessary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.