Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by gooselee
Bought a GC in-store on 12/9. Credit posted 12/12.

I really was trying to find an actual product to buy as a Christmas gift or something, but everything in there was absurd. Even the gift card was absurd - the cashier insisted on fitting it in a little box and putting it in a big bag even though I said they could literally just hand it to me as it was going to get put inside a greeting card.
I was at the Sak's Fifth Avenue store at Tyson's Galleria on Saturday, they had these $17 dark chocolate bars... you could buy three of them, and just be a dollar out of pocket (plus sales tax in most places).
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I was at the Sak's Fifth Avenue store at Tyson's Galleria on Saturday, they had these $17 dark chocolate bars... you could buy three of them, and just be a dollar out of pocket (plus sales tax in most places).
For $17 each, they'd better be mega-king sized!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can we have an update on whether the credit posted?
I suspect the difference is that BUYATAB is the vendor for the electronic gift cards, while the physical gift cards go through the normal SAKS billing channel. Unfortunately, the minimum physical gift card amount online is $150.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
For $17 each, they'd better be mega-king sized!
Nope, 4 oz bars just like the ones you get at the grocery store for under three dollars.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
On my card, I got a Tumi umbrella for $73-50=$23. On my wife's card, we got two small boxes of La Maison du Chocolat chocolates for $60-50=$10. That's $33 (including tax & shipping) for stuff that's worth way more than that to us. Yes, both the umbrella and the chocolates are overpriced, but still very high quality. Great deal, I say.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
On my card, I got a Tumi umbrella for $73-50=$23. On my wife's card, we got two small boxes of La Maison du Chocolat chocolates for $60-50=$10. That's $33 (including tax & shipping) for stuff that's worth way more than that to us. Yes, both the umbrella and the chocolates are overpriced, but still very high quality. Great deal, I say.
I got a pair of Onitsuka Tiger athletic shoes for $85-50 = $35. Pretty happy with that deal.

The perspective of some posters (that if you have to spend even $1 "out of pocket" = some sort of atrocity) is baffling.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I got a pair of Onitsuka Tiger athletic shoes for $85-50 = $35. Pretty happy with that deal.

The perspective of some posters (that if you have to spend even $1 "out of pocket" = some sort of atrocity) is baffling.
I think the point is...only if you were going to buy those shoes anyways is it really a deal, right? Otherwise you're down $35 for shoes that you didn't really want or need, but decided to buy after browsing Saks.com and getting hooked in.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I think the point is...only if you were going to buy those shoes anyways is it really a deal, right? Otherwise you're down $35 for shoes that you didn't really want or need, but decided to buy after browsing Saks.com and getting hooked in.
I paid $60-50=$10 (including tax & delivery) for French chocolates that would cost that same price elsewhere (brand enforces its MSRP on retailers). Are you saying I'm "down" $10 because I hadn't intended to purchase those chocolates? I don't see it that way. I certainly wasn't going to pay full retail for those chocolates, but I was interested with an 83% discount.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:29 am

I paid $60-50=$10 (including tax & delivery) for French chocolates that would cost that same price elsewhere (brand enforces its MSRP on retailers). Are you saying I'm "down" $10 because I hadn't intended to purchase those chocolates? I don't see it that way. I certainly wasn't going to pay full retail for those chocolates, but I was interested with an 83% discount.
Ask yourself this question: Was i going to buy (any) chocolate regardless of the Saks credit? If the answer is yes, then you are up $50. Congrats!

If the answer is No, then yes, you are down $10.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Ask yourself this question: Was i going to buy (any) chocolate regardless of the Saks credit? If the answer is yes, then you are up $50. Congrats!

If the answer is No, then yes, you are down $10.
I'm down $10, but I'm up whatever the value of those chocolates is to me. That's way more than $10, even though I hadn't planned on buying them. We're going to gift these boxes to two people who do some service work for us. If I hadn't gotten these chocolates, I would have gotten items of comparable retail cost for the gifts. Roughly speaking, my cost of these gifts is $10 rather than $60 or so it would have been, absent the Saks credit.

Isolating whether you would have bought the particular item, absent the Saks credit, makes no sense. The question is what was your net cost, and what was it really worth to you.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:54 am

I'm down $10, but I'm up whatever the value of those chocolates is to me. That's way more than $10, even though I hadn't planned on buying them. We're going to gift these boxes to two people who do some service work for us. If I hadn't gotten these chocolates, I would have gotten items of comparable retail cost for the gifts. Roughly speaking, my cost of these gifts is $10 rather than $60 or so it would have been, absent the Saks credit.

Isolating whether you would have bought the particular item, absent the Saks credit, makes no sense. The question is what was your net cost, and what was it really worth to you.
I think we're in the weeds, and I like it. The point is you were going to buy a gift at some point for somebody at a particular value and the credit worked perfectly to hit near or above the value point, hence saving you money. So you're definitely up, congrats! The chocolate component is irrelevant to the gift component of this whole transaction.

I use my Saks credit for precisely the same thing - gifts for my mother-in-law. I know we have to get her something for mother's day or b-day, so we use the credit for a voluspa candle or some Kiehl's face cream, or whatever - and basically spend nothing out of pocket for a gift exchange where we normally would.

Edit to ADD: I should say that whatever you would normally spend for a gift for someone should be near, or above the $50. Like, if you normally buy these folks a massive $8 Toblerone bar and slap a bow on it but this year b/c of the credit you are getting them a $60 box of chocolates... then yeah, you're way down because you could optimize that gift towards someone who you normally spend near or above $50 on. My post above assumes you normally gift these folks something in this price value range.

Last edited by PHLondoner; Dec 20, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:16 pm

Like, if you normally buy these folks a massive $8 Toblerone bar and slap a bow on it but this year b/c of the credit you are getting them a $60 box of chocolates... then yeah, you're way down because you could optimize that gift towards someone who you normally spend near or above $50 on.
Even there, I don't think you're way down. If you up your gift to a service worker from an $8 Toblerone bar to La Maison du Chocolate boxes with a MSRP of $60 (net cost to you of $10), you just got a whole bunch of extra goodwill from that service worker for a mere $2 of added cost. And even if that doesn't result in any improvements in the service to you, there's the intangible value to you of giving a really nice gift to someone deserving of it.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I think the point is...
.....that some people really overthink this stuff.

"OMG! You used the Saks credit - did you calculate the opportunity cost of the points you didn't earn because you didn't spend that $50 on your Chase Freedom 4th quarter department store bonus category?"
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can we have an update on whether the credit posted?
No luck with the online GC

the actual posted charge was:
Saks Fifth A 8559729WILLMINGTON DE

but in the charge metadata, it lists the address as Online e-gift buyatab with a Canadian address so it seems they are savvy enough to filter that out from triggering a credit.
oddly the category shows up as Business Services - Conferences & Training
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.....that some people really overthink this stuff.
Overthinking stuff is almost a requirement here on FlyerTalk. I’m cool with that.

Here, I think some are failing to appreciate how this $50x2 Saks credit is a very valuable Plat benefit. It might be worth much less than $100 to some. Still, it’s hard to see it being worth less than $30 to anyone unless they place a huge value on the time it takes for them to place an order for say, chocolates, online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.