Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RedSun

Please refrain from telling what folks should talk. It is open forum.
Absolutely. Which is why you telling me to refrain from posting is hilariously hypocritical.

Thanks for the laugh!
mhdena likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I work a block away from the original Saks Fifth Avenue, so this benefit is very easy to use. I bought a $100 gift that I usually buy once or twice a year, credit showed up within 48 hours. Super simple. IMO it is much simpler to use the credit for $50+ purchases you already have in your regular spending.
Statman, Diplomatico and JONJON451 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Please refrain from offering common sense rationale in this thread.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is reserved for FTers to bemoan the tragic ordeal they've had to overcome to order a simple $50 item from a department store website.

In the majority of first hand accounts, Saks has no reason to be in business and AMEX is a co-conspirator in this outrageous scam to offer their cardholders department store goods for no additional cost (other than minimal shipping charges for chocolate, apparently), and your blatantly biased viewpoint is damaging to the overall sub-forum zeitgeist. /s
Absolutely. Which is why you telling me to refrain from posting is hilariously hypocritical.

Thanks for the laugh!
Who is the first one to tell FTers to "refrain" from saying things they want to say? We like to say common things.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

Be assured, common sense is still welcome. Sarcasm, irony and dry humor can have unintended consequences on The Internet.
RedSun and APeverell like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:44 am

In the majority of first hand accounts, Saks has no reason to be in business and AMEX is a co-conspirator in this outrageous scam to offer their cardholders department store goods for no additional cost (other than minimal shipping charges for chocolate, apparently), and your blatantly biased viewpoint is damaging to the overall sub-forum zeitgeist. /s
This thread is amazing. Who knew Saks sold food?
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:41 pm

I have an Off 5th right by my office, but no convenient real Saks. Do I have it right that the only way to use the Amex credit at my Off 5th is buy gifts cards at an actual Saks and then use them at Off 5th?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I have an Off 5th right by my office, but no convenient real Saks. Do I have it right that the only way to use the Amex credit at my Off 5th is buy gifts cards at an actual Saks and then use them at Off 5th?
Yeah. You might be able to buy a GC on the website but the minimum is $150. If you shop at OFF Fifth normally, that might not be a big deal - and if you try do report back!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by rbw5t
You have it correct, that's what I did as I never shop at Saks but stumble into an Off 5th a few times a year to grab some ties and shirts at a huge discount. If you would spend $150 there easily, I'd just order the $150 Saks GC online. In my case, I was in Chicago and I was able to just slip inside the Saks a few blocks from my hotel to grab a GC.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:57 pm

I expect to visit NYC soon, and I already have my $50 Saks gift card. I recall hearing that there are restaurants/cafes in some locations. Do they accept Saks gift cards?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by trouble747
This thread is amazing. Who knew Saks sold food?
Chocolate and the like sold at Saks is not meant to be eaten, only displayed
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:57 am

Data point: made a purchase at Saks store o Oct 17, credit $50 posted October 20.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Purchased $50 gift card on 10/27 from Saks 5th ave store, received $50 credit on 10/29
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Purchased a shirt online for $51.94 with tax (Shoprunner provided free shipping) on 10/13, $50 credit posted on 10/15.

The shirt is Saks brand and fits badly in the shoulders, but at $1.94 I guess I can't complain.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Purchased a shirt online for $51.94 with tax (Shoprunner provided free shipping) on 10/13, $50 credit posted on 10/15.

The shirt is Saks brand and fits badly in the shoulders, but at $1.94 I guess I can't complain.
I'd prefer to get $50 candies for Halloween! The Saks shirt can rip in the shoulders.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beltway2A

imprssive you found a tshirt for $51 from sacks! Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.