Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
You get shoprunner with Platinum. Shoprunner works with Saks. You get free, 2-day shipping with Shoprunner. So the $7.50 is moot. I used shoprunner for my Saks credit, saved the 7.50...and the product was at my house the next day, free of charge.
I was specifically replying to the poster who wanted to use his/her credit on food items that are not eligible for Shoprunner.

Originally Posted by trouble747
I feel like folks overthink some of these things...
+1
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'd rather AmEx do what Chase doing with the $300 CSR travel benefits. Benefits are given to us, not something we'll have to work hard to earn it. There should not be many strings attached to the benefits and difficult to claim.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedSun
I'd rather AmEx do what Chase doing with the $300 CSR travel benefits. Benefits are given to us, not something we'll have to work hard to earn it. There should not be many strings attached to the benefits and difficult to claim.
As long as the economy is strong, AMEX will never do that. AMEX is the king of breakage.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by RedSun
You could do what I do and not jump through the hoops. Life's way too short to be a min-max'er.
Statman and alvinroast like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Javier1704
I agree 100%. I don't care about expensive stuff and would never, ever, ever buy at Saks. The only reason I ordered something was to use up the credit. LOL.

Everyone, how long does it takes for the credit to post? Thanks!
Originally Posted by kapooncha
48 hours after the charge posted
I made a GC purchase at Saks on 10/2 and still haven't gotten the credit. Nothing in the coding of the charge shows up as a GC but I wonder if somehow it knows. Chatted with Amex and they said it would post within 2-4 weeks, which is what the terms of the offer say, but that would be the longest any credit has ever taken to post for me on any Amex card.

Guess I'll wait and see.

Last edited by RumPatrol; Oct 8, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
While not exactly the same, I had an Amex Offer for 1800PetMeds. Purchase met all terms and was well over the $ amount required. Got the email. Statement credit didn't post for 7 weeks.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I made a GC purchase at Saks on 10/2 and still haven't gotten the credit. Nothing in the coding of the charge shows up as a GC but I wonder if somehow it knows. Chatted with Amex and they said it would post within 2-4 weeks, which is what the terms of the offer say, but that would be the longest any credit has ever taken to post for me on any Amex card.

Guess I'll wait and see.
FWIW, my purchase posted on Oct. 3rd and the credit came through yesterday, Oct. 8th.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Dont Buy perfume or cologne

Don't buy any expensive perfume or cologne from Saks. I bought some expensive cologne and somebody at the warehouse switched it with something worthless (hair gel). The box was enclosed in cellophane so somebody went to the trouble to switch it out.
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just bought two pair of the most expensive socks ever , especially socks on sale. Got very quick delivery for my $7.50, and saved the hassle of driving to the Waikiki location.

Is there a community consensus regarding how long it takes for the credit to show? Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 747FC
Just bought two pair of the most expensive socks ever , especially socks on sale. Got very quick delivery for my $7.50, and saved the hassle of driving to the Waikiki location.

Is there a community consensus regarding how long it takes for the credit to show? Thanks!
Coupla days after the charge posts.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
FWIW, my purchase posted on Oct. 3rd and the credit came through yesterday, Oct. 8th.
Mine finally hit today for the full $50. Guess I'll be making a trip to Off 5th one of these days for a nice new tie.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by smith80678
Don't buy any expensive perfume or cologne from Saks. I bought some expensive cologne and somebody at the warehouse switched it with something worthless (hair gel). The box was enclosed in cellophane so somebody went to the trouble to switch it out.
It's possible that somebody bought the cologne, did the switcharoo, then returned it and the employee didn't look inside the box since it appeared sealed.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by canyoncar
It's possible that somebody bought the cologne, did the switcharoo, then returned it and the employee didn't look inside the box since it appeared sealed.
Please refrain from offering common sense rationale in this thread.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is reserved for FTers to bemoan the tragic ordeal they've had to overcome to order a simple $50 item from a department store website.

In the majority of first hand accounts, Saks has no reason to be in business and AMEX is a co-conspirator in this outrageous scam to offer their cardholders department store goods for no additional cost (other than minimal shipping charges for chocolate, apparently), and your blatantly biased viewpoint is damaging to the overall sub-forum zeitgeist. /s
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Coupla days after the charge posts.
Credit just posted..four days later.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:49 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Please refrain from offering common sense rationale in this thread.

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is reserved for FTers to bemoan the tragic ordeal they've had to overcome to order a simple $50 item from a department store website.

In the majority of first hand accounts, Saks has no reason to be in business and AMEX is a co-conspirator in this outrageous scam to offer their cardholders department store goods for no additional cost (other than minimal shipping charges for chocolate, apparently), and your blatantly biased viewpoint is damaging to the overall sub-forum zeitgeist. /s
I beg to differ. FT forum is a common place for folks to share experience. It may, or could be just common sense. We are all commoners.

For my own experience, I do not think $7.50 shipping for $50 goods is good. It may be minimal to you, but not to a lot of other people. The 2-day ShopRunner is also misleading since there are few items (at least the ones I was interested) qualify. The things at Saks are over priced and the ordering is even buggy (in stock vs sold out).

The only reason for both AmEx and Saks to do this is for Saks to generate more traffic to its store and online store (possibly to buy more over priced items). For AmEx, it can claim you get $100 benefit.....

Please refrain from telling what folks should talk. It is open forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.