Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:45 pm

12/8 - Purchased 2 physical $50 giftcards on 2 plats in store
12/14 - Credit posted for both. Last few times I did it the credit posted within 2-3 days but this one took a whole week so got me a little worried, but worked out.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Purchased gc on Mon Dec 9th, went from pending to final a couple of days later, $50 credit appeared on Mon Dec 16. Day after charge finalized triggered a 10% (department store) sync credit. No sign of a clawback from my gc purchase last spring.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:10 am

If you are about to order something online for the credit there's free shipping with the code FREESHIP.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by notebooko
12/8 - Purchased 2 physical $50 giftcards on 2 plats in store
12/14 - Credit posted for both. Last few times I did it the credit posted within 2-3 days but this one took a whole week so got me a little worried, but worked out.
I thought this perk was just $50 per six months? Did you get the full $100 when buying the cards at once?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I thought this perk was just $50 per six months? Did you get the full $100 when buying the cards at once?
He bought two gift cards using different eligible credit cards ($50 each).
Hikmer01 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by FlugE
If you are about to order something online for the credit there's free shipping with the code FREESHIP.
Platinum comes with ShopRunner benefit which gives free shipping without a code.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Platinum comes with ShopRunner benefit which gives free shipping without a code.
exactly. There were some great offers recently with $150 spent and a $75 gift card & each order one could get 16% cashback plus the $50 so in the end I got merchandise for $240 (which was on sale anyway) and paid $75.

A nice benefit if one can stack things
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Any experience with the Saks credit being triggered and refunded back with the purchase of a gift card directly from Saks?

Last edited by mia; Dec 26, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Any experience with the Saks credit being triggered and refunded back with the purchase of a gift card directly from Saks?
This question is answered in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Purchases of electronic giftcards are not reimbursed. Purchases of physical giftcards are reimbursed, and the (online) minimum order is $150.
Points Scrounger likes this.

Last edited by mia; Dec 26, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mia
This question is answered in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Purchases of electronic giftcards are not reimbursed. Purchases of physical giftcards are reimbursed, and the minimum order is $150.
I've been buying $50 cards twice a year, at the store (so, directly from Saks) and the credit posts a few days after the transaction. The poster didn't specify they were doing online transactions so I thought I'd mention my experience.
mia likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
This question is answered in the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Purchases of electronic giftcards are not reimbursed. Purchases of physical giftcards are reimbursed, and the (online) minimum order is $150.
I originally posted my question in another Amex reimbursement forum as there was a reply referencing not to forget about the upcoming deadline for Saks credits. A moderator moved my post to this forum. I am glad it was moved as I have not read anything here previously. I went through the Wiki and now I have a better understanding of how to proceed. Sorry if it seemed as though I essentially just ignored the wiki initially.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:49 am

Question Will a transaction today still counts for 2019?

I see that the transaction date is what counts for credit. Does anyone know if today 31st is a good time to still try? I still have some credits left.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by curiousGal
I see that the transaction date is what counts for credit. Does anyone know if today 31st is a good time to still try? I still have some credits left.
Either it will count for 2019, or you'll be done with 1H20 already, so either way I don't see that you have much to lose by trying...
Statman, notquiteaff and gooselee like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
In store purchase... likely to count for 2019. Online purchase... likely to show shipping date as transaction date. (and therefore likely 2020)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Nothing like using the 2020 credit while it's hot!
$55 aftershave, less 10% coupon = $49.50
Then 10% Rakuten rebate (495 Membership Reward points)
Zorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.