Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't know the answer to your question but there's a closer Saks in SF.
When you factor in driving/transit time, parking, etc. "geographically closer" and "more convenient" are not always the same thing

I live in RWC, and sure, if I were going to be in the area anyway and hadn't used the credit that half-year yet I could make a small detour to the SF location, but coincidentally I had a Manhattan stay 6 blocks away from the NY location which was much easier.

If OP makes several trips to NYC per year and they're strategically located...
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:24 pm

how come nobody is talking about the saks $50 clawback from amex? (Link)

if true, its gonna be a headache. i guess we need to wait for more DPs.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
how come nobody is talking about the saks $50 clawback from amex?
I have no doubt that FT members would report if they had experienced a clawback. Assume there's nothing to discuss at this point.
GUWonder and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I have no doubt that FT members would report if they had experienced a clawback. Assume there's nothing to discuss at this point.
yea. lets wait and see. just hope its not the beginning to the end.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
yea. lets wait and see. just hope its not the beginning to the end.
I’m not sure why this is such a big deal. There are plenty of inexpensive items on the Saks website which might not be the greatest deals but are perfectly reasonable uses of the credits (like underwear, etc.)
brosnan6 and Adelphos like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It appeared to be an issue regarding an online purchase. In the thread, other folks had purchased gift cards at roughly the same time at physical stores, with no claw back.
Zorak likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by synzero
I’m not sure why this is such a big deal. There are plenty of inexpensive items on the Saks website which might not be the greatest deals but are perfectly reasonable uses of the credits (like underwear, etc.)
the issue is not about how to move forward with the credits (although i vastly prefer GC vs forced to shop every 6 months). the issue deals with clawbacks. if possible, i dont want to pay amex back some multiple of $50. maybe you didnt participate in the multi browser staples giveaway party sponsored by the RAT not too long ago...

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It appeared to be an issue regarding an online purchase. In the thread, other folks had purchased gift cards at roughly the same time at physical stores, with no claw back.
no clawback for me either, but the details of that DP have nothing to do with online orders.

from OP:
"I purchased GC in store back in July, and the credit posted as usual. I just noticed a charge on my card October 4."

hopefully, its just an isolated DP, but doesnt make sense to me. one DP is too many.
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Oct 14, 2019 at 12:23 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
With Amex, if you buy any kind of gift card to trigger any kind of credit or meet any kind of sign up bonus minimum spend, there is a risk of a clawback. Solution? Use the credit as intended.
ijgordon, Statman, Yllanes and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
With Amex, if you buy any kind of gift card to trigger any kind of credit or meet any kind of sign up bonus minimum spend, there is a risk of a clawback. Solution? Use the credit as intended.
Wow, mountains of AmEx rules have just been replaced with 2 lines of text! Can we now shut down all AmEx related threads, and AmEx to abolish RAT?
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone tried returning an item that triggered the $50 credit? If yes, was the credit reversed?
I returned an item to a physical store that was purchased online and damaged in transit. The credit was not reversed.
margarita girl and akr1970akr like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:26 pm

just gonna leave this here. circumstances are not important. its about RAT DGAF...
AMEX RAT clawing back Saks credit after 8 months, even on a closed card - Miles per Day
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:36 am

just gonna leave this here. circumstances are not important. its about RAT DGAF...
AMEX RAT clawing back Saks credit after 8 months, even on a closed card - Miles per Day
That was one case where the circumstances were way more important than the click bait title
There was no purchase, thus hardly a reason to publish an article.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MaxVO
That was one case where the circumstances were way more important than the click bait title
There was no purchase, thus hardly a reason to publish an article.
Exactly.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Note to crappy clickbaiting bloggers (since I know you all read these forums for your topics):

If the word "TRICK" has to be used in describing the scenario, then it isn't a RAT sting operation, it's the system working as intended.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I had a thought, by the way -- but already used my credit for the year so I can't test it myself. Has anyone tried to use a Saks GC to buy another one? It's effectively combining them, but it could be a way to use the credit for online shopping. I've been told up to 9 GCs can be used for an order but not sure if you could order a $150 GC online, apply two $50 previous GCs, and put the balance $50 on Amex.

I have been told by the phone agent that you can't do multiple CCs on a phone/online order. I wanted to try that one to trade credits with my friend ($100 is more useful once a year than $50 twice, so we were going to trade off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.