Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Gig103
Can you be the data point for the thread for us? It isn't like the phone agent is going to force you to commit to the purchase if the answer is "only one payment type allowed". I need to know too but don't have an item in mind.
Definitely will, it's just a matter of being able to find the time to call, which is very difficult for me these days with nonstop meetings/travel. I'll get around to it one of these days before 12/31 (or whenever I decide I really need new sunglasses, whichever comes first)...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lax01
A purchase from that link would not be reimbursed - it's a link to Saks Off 5th.
justdoinjjs likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hrm. Buy an EdT from Saks for $95, or buy a $50 GC and get the same EdT from Perfumania for $68 after a credit I have.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold, Hertz Platinum
Does AMEX credits on purchase of online $50 EGC for SAKS?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
Does AMEX credits on purchase of online $50 EGC for SAKS?
No, it's covered in the Wikipost.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
A purchase from that link would not be reimbursed - it's a link to Saks Off 5th.
Solid point! Totally thought I was clicking a Saks email
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:43 pm

Ordered perfume for GF online. Credited $50 a couple days later. Also had a $10 Saks offer from AMEX, which posted in 3 days.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Those of you buying giftcards, what are you doing with them? Are you then selling them?

I'm wondering how I can take advantage of this offer since I never shop at Saks and literally ignored the offer all last year, leaving $100 on the table.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Have two so far, planning on getting another on a December visit to FL. Probably will use them at Off5th if I see something worthwhile.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Those of you buying giftcards, what are you doing with them? Are you then selling them?

I'm wondering how I can take advantage of this offer since I never shop at Saks and literally ignored the offer all last year, leaving $100 on the table.
You can use them at Off 5TH as others have noted. For me personally I just got some boxer briefs. They're pricey but high quality so I figure they'll last a while. Better than forgoing the $100 entirely. There are also kids' toys that are reasonably priced, etc. Lots of stuff at the low end.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir

Well, you're not leaving $100/yr on the table if there's nothing you'd ever buy at Saks anyway - or if you'd need to spend the time/money to go out of your way just to get the GC.

I only ever pick up the GC because I'll invariably walk right by the Saks in either Chicago or NYC a couple times a year. I do have a Saks in my metro area but it's in an area I never go and at least 15-20 mins out of the way, so I'd never go to the one in my city just to redeem this benefit.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

I don't buy gc, No need for an additional transaction. I just find something off the online sale list. I have purchased some nice socks and a shirt this way. Nothing I needed, but things I now use.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP

Saks.com? There's no Saks in Seattle and I have no problem using the credit across 3x Plat cards. Aside from simply not trying at all, I find it very difficult to believe that an individual could not find anything to use the credit on. Just because one doesn't normally shop at Saks doesn't mean one can't shop at Saks. There's a website with free shipping (and don't forget free 2 day shipping with your Amex Shoprunner benefit). They sell many common skincare (Kiehls, Jack Black, etc) brands and nearly all major fragrance brands. They sell socks, undershirts, and underwear. You can buy a nice skincare product as a gift for somebody. I won't say the possibilities are endless, but they are many and varied.

Originally Posted by gengar
Well, you're not leaving $100/yr on the table if there's nothing you'd ever buy at Saks anyway - or if you'd need to spend the time/money to go out of your way just to get the GC.
I'll note it's one thing to be suckered into spending more than you normally would because some people mentally justify "well I'm getting $50 off so let me buy more". But to not spend it at all, even up to $50 on the dot 2x/year, seems ridiculous to me. Just because you can't buy a gift card online doesn't mean you can't make use of the benefit one way or another.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by brosnan6
But to not spend it at all, even up to $50 on the dot 2x/year, seems ridiculous to me.
What I find ridiculous is spending $30 on a pair of socks just to use up the benefit (note: someone in this thread actually said he did this).

That we disagree on what's ridiculous is precisely the point of my last post, which is that everyone's valuations and situation are going to be different - which is why the actual value lost by OP by forgoing the benefit is not going to be $100/yr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.