Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

This thread at the end of Dec and now end of June makes me wonder why lots of people seem to leave these credits to the 11th hour. Same with the drama in the airline credit threads. Guys, we have ~182 days to use the Saks credit, why wait until the end?
Life gets in the way, etc, I don't keep up with the credit card game much. Besides, it's irrelevant, I bought the item on June 27th so it was clearly purchased in June. AMEX claims that I purchased on July 1st and the charge posted on July 2nd. Not true. Purchased June 27th. Everything is instantaneous these days, including credit card authorizations, but when it comes to these credits, AMEX acts like it's the 1980s and that the Saks employees took a carbon imprint of my credit card and it took multiple business days for them to find out about the transaction.

I'm sure there are plenty of "normal" customers that also leave it to the end of June, not just people on this forum
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
An authorization isn't a purchase, and not posting until shipped is pretty standard I think? I get why you're displeased because it worked against you here, but how many of the same people would also complain if the charge posted immediately and the item not shipped until a week later, or back ordered?

Also betting a lot of "normal" customers overlook the benefit entirely.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
So do the airlines charge your card when you purchase a flight or when you board and are “shipped” to your destination? Or theater tickets when ordered versus delivered at will call window?

Never had another vendor falsify the date of sale or suspend transaction until item was shipped. Obviously some others have dealt with vendors who delay charging. I will express my displeasure to AMEX and Saks. This is scammier than Uber credits.

If credit is only good for 5 months because Saks needs 30 days to process transactions to AMEX well then say so.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Segments
So do the airlines charge your card when you purchase a flight or when you board and are “shipped” to your destination? Or theater tickets when ordered versus delivered at will call window?

Never had another vendor falsify the date of sale or suspend transaction until item was shipped. Obviously some others have dealt with vendors who delay charging. I will express my displeasure to AMEX and Saks. This is scammier than Uber credits.

If credit is only good for 5 months because Saks needs 30 days to process transactions to AMEX well then say so.
Airline and theater tickets aren't mail order. Apples and oranges.

​​​​​​You night also be interested in page 50

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...-merchants.pdf

Best Practices for Websites
Suggested best practices for merchant website information include:
• Privacy statements.
• Information on when credit cards are charged. You should not bill the customer until merchandise
has been shipped.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:51 pm

I have, on a few occasions, bought purchases on the last day of a given quarter using my Chase Freedom card, only to have the final transaction post on the next day and thus be ineligible for that 5x category.

Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
Update: $50 credit posted this morning with a date of 7/5
Nothing here yet.

Interestingly, I noticed the transaction detail for Saks has changed since January. It's now "SAKSFIFTHAVENUE.COM - https://www.saksfifth, MD"
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Yeah, they might as well advertise it as "$50 to use between January 1st and June 15th, and an additional $50 to use between July 1st and December 15th"

Amex offers work based on the authorization date, there's no reason that this Saks thing shouldn't operate the same way.
Segments likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Never had another vendor... suspend transaction until item was shipped.
(my quote snip)

IME this only ever happens when an item is temporarily out of stock, and sometimes not even then. Otherwise, there's no delay in posting - I never once recall a merchant delaying posting until shipping, even if it's just the next day.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
(my quote snip)

IME this only ever happens when an item is temporarily out of stock, and sometimes not even then. Otherwise, there's no delay in posting - I never once recall a merchant delaying posting until shipping, even if it's just the next day.
Don't throw any rotten eggs, but Amazon always delays payments until item ships. The invoice will show the ship date as the credit card transaction date, however, it will show a different date when the order was actually placed.
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gengar
(my quote snip)

Happens all the time - depends upon the vendor. I use a couple of vendors that don't bill until a week after the item has shipped.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Happens all the time - depends upon the vendor. I use a couple of vendors that don't bill until a week after the item has shipped.
I literally just checked my last statement cycle across three CCs and every single online order posting is the order date. Granted, nearly all of these orders shipped the same day AFAICT and I also certainly agree that there could be variance, but this is just IME. I suppose if some vendors are simply very slow to post, then it's not a "delay-charging-until-shipping" issue either.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

At least for me, this was not a gift card order. Ordered clothing that was supposedly in stock at the time order was placed. Saks delayed shipping and then processed the charge based on ship date, not purchase date.
Sort of the same here, but my order for a final sale clothing item had the shipment and charge posting date as one day apart from each other and the $50 credit posting with a date of July 1st — which happens to be the day after the shipping date (per FedEx) of June 30th.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
Airline and theater tickets aren't mail order. Apples and oranges.

​​​​​​You night also be interested in page 50

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...-merchants.pdf

Best Practices for Websites
Suggested best practices for merchant website information include:
• Privacy statements.
• Information on when credit cards are charged. You should not bill the customer until merchandise
has been shipped.
This. I get pretty PO'd when I order something online and they charge me right away, but the thing doesn't ship for several days or weeks. Also why I generally don't participate in gofundme type orders.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Purchases on 7/3. statement credit on 7/6. Nice benefit. Worth about $35 to me (what I'd pay for the $50 statement credit were it for sale).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I bought several bars of the MorrocanOil soap and it's wonderful. The credit posted three days after purchase. And don't forget the 2% Rakuten rebate.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Bought new dress shirt on July 6th for 51.68. Free shipping via shoprunner.

Bought via eBates earning ~5 dollars in cash back (10% promo)

Saks purchase posted July 8th. Credit posted on July 9th.

Overall? Was given ~$4.50 to take a shirt from Saks. I like this benefit 😎 (yes yes I know, I technically pay for it via the annual fee...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.