Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Got GC a physical Saks store. Reimbursed 2 days later.

Plus it seems like I am able to use the GC at Saks Off 5th. This is a good work around since I can't directly get the credit here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I know it's only one credit per account and not per card, but can an AU's card trigger the $50? Or does it have to be the primary cardholder?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Purchases by both the enrolled Basic Card Member and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is only eligible for up to a $50 statement credit from January through June and up to a $50 statement credit from July through December for a total of $100 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account
Johnny O likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thanks for finding the relevant T&C for me, mia.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:34 am

Does buying from Saks Off Fifth website work as well?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Does buying from Saks Off Fifth website work as well?

Thanks
No.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:04 am
Suspended

Didn't see anyone mention this but from the OP link:

The benefit will not apply to the business version of the Amex Platinum card, but will apply to all variations of the consumer Platinum card.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:05 pm

Purchased a $150 Saks gift card in store on 2/9. Was able to split the purchase using three separate Platinum cards. All three cards received $50 credit on 2/12.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Bought another bottle of perfume for GF. Reimbursed $50 a couple business days later.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Don’t have any Saks stores near me. Can I order $50 GC online? Still that still trigger plat credit?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by BarryL
Don’t have any Saks stores near me. Can I order $50 GC online? Still that still trigger plat credit?
You can, but e-gift cards don't work. The minimum physical gift card available online is $150.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:24 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Registered for the benefit and then picked up some nice Kiehl’s products this past week. Haven’t gotten the reimbrusement yet, I’ll update once I get that with the timeline.

Way overdue update: Reimbursement came in a week or so after purchase.

Last edited by Xlr; May 29, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Do the gift cards expire?

I picked up a gift certificate the other day while visiting Naples, Florida. When I got back to the car in the parking garage, my mom asked in a horrified tone, "You didn't actually buy something (at those prices) did you?" She was thrown by the small shopping bag they pack the tissue-wrapped gift box into - sales clerk reminded me that I should put the recipient's name and value of the cert on the card before she wrapped it up, but I declined.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:01 pm

Got a $50 gc from Saks in-store, and got the credit after about 2-3 business days.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Talking Ask Aristotle

Originally Posted by mia
Why is a "free" $50 item more valuable than saving $50 on a $200 item?
My wife and I will give you two different answers. Follow her if you want to go bankrupt. To stay on topic: My answer will give you no MR points. Hers will give you 150.

As a good Flyertalk fan you will of course be comparing your Saks purchase to an Asian market that you will visit at no cost - well mileage only. Anything you can buy at Saks will cost you <25% in Bangkok's Chatuchak market. It might even be the same thing smuggled out the back door. It might well not of course. But your friends who shop at Saks won't know the difference. Nor will your friends who shop at the market. So we are really talking about marginal income and benefits. The $200 Saks purchase will cost you $150 cash and you will have a $50 item. A loss of $100. The market purchase will cost you $50 and you will have you will have a $50 item. Net zero. And the $50 Saks purchase with rebate will cost you $zero and you will have a $50 item. A gain of $50.

I vote for the $50 purchase at Saks. You will also feel like you went to Vegas for zero miles and won the jackpot.

My wife would disagree, But she likes to disagree. Probably like you do. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.