Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by friedablass
What shipping service did you use for the return? For me it always generates a FedEx label and it takes just 2 business days for the package to be delivered back to them and the return and credit is processed within ~2-3 days
FedEx. Here's a record of its route. It's scheduled to be delivered today - 9 days later.

I did another return via Saks (not ShopRunner) - says 10 days this time...

Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
well, if it’s another data point, not for a return, but I ordered an item on Nov. 28, using ‘2-day’ shipping through Shoprunner, and I’m still waiting. That was a Sunday night. It initially said it would arrive by Dec. 1. Now we’re at what, Dec. 11? It eventually shipped on Dec. 1 to me in Bay Area, I think from TN somewhere, with an estimated arrival date of today. Since changed to Monday (Dec. 13). Not even clear on the shipping company - seems to be mostly unbranded. Tracking shows it was in LA on Dec. 4 and finally arrived in the city we live in in East Bay on Dec. 9. Like I said, still not delivered. Did they decide to walk it over from TN.

anyone know if this is par for the course for Saks or Shoprunner? I mean, I get the day or two to process it, but is it really supposed to be that bad. 2-day to 13-day shopping seems really bad - luckily, it’s not something I need so fast, but would have been nice.
That's crazy! ShopRunner for me has always arrived in 2-3 days after shipping.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
FedEx. Here's a record of its route.
If the carton has more than one scannable barcode this can cause a package to be misdirected.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
That's crazy! ShopRunner for me has always arrived in 2-3 days after shipping.
Finally arrived yesterday. Debating whether to chat with Shoprunner to see what happened. Like I said, not really sure how the shipping company was - was not Fedex/UPS/USPS, or even DHL.

FedEx. Here's a record of its route. It's scheduled to be delivered today - 9 days later.

I did another return via Saks (not ShopRunner) - says 10 days this time...
Fedex, at least here by me in East Bay, has had a lot of delays recently. Not sure if its widespread across the US for Fedex itself, or more widespread across the country, but I think they're way understaffed for the holiday rush. I've had problems both with Ground and Express recently. Noticed one ground package that was at the local station for three days before they put it on a truck for the last mile part of the delivery.

On a potentially related note, I know ground has been sending out flyers every couple of weeks or so for recruiting ground handlers, for at least 2 or 3 months. So that kind of amplifies my suspicions.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the carton has more than one scannable barcode this can cause a package to be misdirected.
True. I always cover the old barcodes or cross them out evenly with a permanent marker.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 11:19 pm

Anyone has a recent data point on how soon SAKS ship out an item, with or without Shoprunner?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ordered at about 1am earlier this week, and the shipment went out at 5pm the "same" day. I used Shoprunner.
nunogomes likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Anyone has a recent data point on how soon SAKS ship out an item, with or without Shoprunner?
I ordered an item for $62 without Shoprunner on Friday and it shipped the next day on Saturday with free shipping. I didn't care about getting 2-day free shipping with Shoprunner, so that was OK by me.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:32 am

I ordered a physical gift card on Dec 20 with ShopRunner that was shipped Dec 21.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by nunogomes
-Item is still in progress- no Shoprunner

I ordered something a couple days ago and it said “ships from vendor” on the checkout page. Click on the icon and it says “This item may incur slight delays in shipment.”

If it doesn’t ship/get charged by 12/28, I will cancel the order and buy something in-store.

I got a late shipment from an order last December and it burned up my first half 2021 Saks credit.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by radiolarian
-Item is still in progress- no Shoprunner

I ordered something a couple days ago and it said “ships from vendor” on the checkout page. Click on the icon and it says “This item may incur slight delays in shipment.”

If it doesn’t ship/get charged by 12/28, I will cancel the order and buy something in-store.

I got a late shipment from an order last December and it burned up my first half 2021 Saks credit.

Even in-store can be dicey. Last year I made a purchase online to pick up in-store and picked it up on 12/30, but it still did not post till Jan 3rd, which burned up my first half credit.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This reminds me to go to Saks tomorrow or Sunday and buy another gift card.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I totally forgot about the Saks credit this half of the year with the dozens of credits Amex pounded down our throats (grr Amex won).

Bought a three pack of underwear (today Dec 31) on the app via shoprunner and got a notification that the charge posted immediately, I suppose I’ll be the data point for this year wish me luck
jamesteroh, radiolarian and bizum like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by pbjag
Even in-store can be dicey. Last year I made a purchase online to pick up in-store and picked it up on 12/30, but it still did not post till Jan 3rd, which burned up my first half credit.
I got the shipping notification Wednesday and the item Friday. There’s still no sign of the Saks charge on the card.

I have a feeling the charge will be posted for 2022. This will be the second year in a row I got burned in December.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here: Personal Platinum (USA) Saks 5th Ave $50 credit Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec each year.

Last edited by mia; Jan 9, 2022 at 12:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.