Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Hmm ok thanks. Maybe just this one store or one funky gift card.
More DPs are needed. You said that you tried a couple of days ago as recent, the other people's experiences were from Aug and Sept. A lot can change in a couple of months... It could be a recent change. Hopefully we can get people chiming in who have done this within the past week..
​​​
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
More DPs are needed. You said that you tried a couple of days ago as recent, the other people's experiences were from Aug and Sept. A lot can change in a couple of months... It could be a recent change. Hopefully we can get people chiming in who have done this within the past week..
​​​
This is directly from the Saks Fifth Avenue gift card page on their website:

Terms for Gift Cards
This Gift Card may be used only to purchase merchandise and services sold at Saks Fifth Avenue and OFF 5TH stores, through 877.551.7257 or at Saks.com and saksoff5th.com. It may not be used to purchase Gift Cards.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Coincidentally checked rakuten while trying to burn my credit. 10% cash back on saks as of now.
Originally Posted by Zorak
thanks! Had just been planning my purchase for this half of the year and was sitting on it waiting for something like this
10% of $50 is what? A cheeseburger's worth? For God's sake...
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mama
1. I'm spending $100, not $50, since I have a GC from the first half of the year
2. My purchase wasn't time-sensitive so there was no particular rush anyway
3. Is this the greatest thing since sliced bread? Obviously not, but it's the little things in life
​​​​​
renila, miles4CDG and volabam like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:16 pm

Please send me 10 percent of $50 on a regular basis since it's nothing more than a cheeseburger in value.
renila and jamesteroh like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by gnomie
This is directly from the Saks Fifth Avenue gift card page on their website:

Terms for Gift Cards
This Gift Card may be used only to purchase merchandise and services sold at Saks Fifth Avenue and OFF 5TH stores, through 877.551.7257 or at Saks.com and saksoff5th.com. It may not be used to purchase Gift Cards.
I'm just going to add that it's important to let the Saks OFF 5TH cashier know at the outset you'll be using a gift card, not a credit card.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by antonius66
Please send me 10 percent of $50 on a regular basis since it's nothing more than a cheeseburger in value.
Please don't be a beggar like this on a public forum, especially on Amex Plat forum. You are embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 21, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 21, 2021, 12:06 pm

Please don't be a beggar like this on a public forum, especially on Amex Plat forum. You are embarrassing yourself.
You are in the company of people who pay their taxes plus 1.96% fee using a 2% card. Not sure why 10% cash back with almost no effort is suddenly an issue. If someone hands me a 10% off coupon on my way into a store; I'll most definitely use it. No where in the plat membership agreement stipulates that I must turn my nose up at free money.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Lol, it's up to 12% for Black Friday (but effective now). Oh well.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Free money is free money? I guess if I was given the choice between spending $40 or $50 for the same exact item...10 times out of 10 I'd spend the $40...

I think this is of particular note on the AmEx Platinum forum as the Platinum has become a coupon book more-so than any other card. It used to be a $450 AF for some status and perks but now it's $695 and you have to work to utilize the narrowly-tailored credits. Don't get me wrong, I still think their customer service and perks are above average but not impressed how AmEx has taken to nickel and diming "premium" customers.
Mama and m907 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
Lol, it's up to 12% for Black Friday (but effective now). Oh well.
Saks will have a Black Friday promo of "spend $150 get a $75 gift card". So if someone hasn't used the $50 credit yet, then the $50 credit and the $75 gc combined with 12% cash back will be a great deal on a $150 purchase.
ijgordon, gnomie, volabam and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Saks will have a Black Friday promo of "spend $150 get a $75 gift card". So if someone hasn't used the $50 credit yet, then the $50 credit and the $75 gc combined with 12% cash back will be a great deal on a $150 purchase.
I'm seeing 15% back now...
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:02 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dszrew
Dang. Should have waited!

LAX
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dszrew
Let's hope it stays for tomorrow.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
Let's hope it stays for tomorrow.
According to a Rakuten email, SFA is one of many stores offering 15% back today only - Black Friday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.