Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:59 pm

Bought shoes from Saks Off 5th and paid with PayPal

7/9 PAYPAL *SAKSFIFTHAV 8775517257 NY $54.99
7/11 SHOP SAKS WITH PLATINUM CREDIT -$50.00
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bot a $100 GC in store Friday, split payment $50/$50 between my two Platinum cards. Credits posted today. See ya in January Saks.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Saks Off Fifth shipping

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
It's not risky. Because Saks Off Fifth codes for Saks Fifth Avenue going through PayPal. Nothing on the Credit Card receipt says Off Fifth. I found more products on Saks Off Fifth than regular Saks site for under $50. Before, I had search and search through all that junk sales stuff to fine something I would actually use on the day I planned on making a purchase. I never have plans to keep searching for a special product. The day I go to the site is when I buy, and Off Fifth is trouble free with lots of good stuff under $50 it takes only a few minutes to purchase something.
Is there any way to use shoprunner for free shipping when checking out through Paypal for Saks Off Fifth?
Never mind, figured it out

Last edited by JRV62; Jul 16, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JRV62
Never mind, figured it out
Can you share what you figured out?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Can you share what you figured out?
Just hit "edit" during checkout to change shipping address/shipping method then select free SR shipping
Old Aug 7, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Thanks to those who posted that using PayPal at Off Saks triggers the $50 credit. Just worked for me.

Order placed August 1, item delivered 8/3. Charge was pending until August 4 when it posted with an August 2 date. On 8/6 I saw the $50 credit with a post date of 8/5.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just confirming that regular Saks gift cards work at Off 5th stores, but not online?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:32 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Just confirming that regular Saks gift cards work at Off 5th stores, but not online?
I used a Saks gift card online at Off 5th.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I tried several times, but Off5th wouldn't let the Saks card "take" is why I asked.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I tried several times, but Off5th wouldn't let the Saks card "take" is why I asked.
I've done it successfully as well.
Be aware that if you have to return something, however, you'll get a credit that is only good at Off Fith.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Be aware that if you have to return something, however, you'll get a credit that is only good at Off Fith.
And annoyingly if you use a Saks physical GC code online and return something, you have to wait for them to ship a new physical GC card. It would save so much hassle for all if they just emailed a new code. Sigh.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I would expect that.

Updated to say I got the Saks card to go through yesterday; it was my thinking that it didn't look like it had "taken" that was the problem. Checked the cert after placing the order, and the correct, expected amount had been deducted.
Since I had a lot of credit banked, and we are having a sales tax holiday in FL on clothing items under $60, decided to get a second pair of the same shoes I already own. With my luck, they'd later be out of stock in my size, if not discontinued!
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
In chicago for the weekend so walked to says to buy my gift card. As soon as I said I wanted a gift card and the clerk saw it was an am ex she said “I bet. You want it for $50 and don’t care about type of card”. She said she has had a lot of $50 am ex gift card sales this month. She agreed with me it’s free money. Wish they still had the off fifth on state street so I could use these cards
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
FYI--there is currently an Amex Offer of $30 off of $150 at Saks Off Fifth. Might be a good time to use your accumulated Saks gift cards. I'm going to wait until I get an email about a sale. It's good until 9/30.

ETA: Oh, wait a minute. You'd have to spend $150 MORE than the gift cards to get the credit. Never mind.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
In chicago for the weekend so walked to says to buy my gift card. As soon as I said I wanted a gift card and the clerk saw it was an am ex she said “I bet. You want it for $50 and don’t care about type of card”. She said she has had a lot of $50 am ex gift card sales this month. She agreed with me it’s free money. Wish they still had the off fifth on state street so I could use these cards
SaksOff5th online with free Shoprunner shipping?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.