Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by miamiparis
...So who is right?
We use this thread for sharing actual experiences on how this benefit worked. Sometimes there's no conflict with the written terms, other times there may be differences. You've asked a blunt question several times, and got no certainty out of the process. Perhaps that approach was not most productive. I suggest you read actual posts here, and see if that will help with your decision.
Old May 15, 2021, 5:53 pm

It works in store despite the terms. Sometimes we get lucky this way.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: miamiparis
This thread has many posts and I had difficulty finding the response to my question, but you gave it to me, thank you very much.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This thread has many posts and I had difficulty finding the response to my question, but you gave it to me, thank you very much.
Sometimes it helps to read the last couple pages of a thread. e.g. there were 4 reports of actual real-world data points in the 15 most recent posts before yours.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:34 pm

I see now, you're right, sometimes I read in a hurry and I miss things
Old May 15, 2021, 6:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... many posts and I had difficulty finding the response.....
You might reduce the number of posts to read by using the Search this Thread tool with the keyword: "gift card"
imnotalawyer and miamiparis like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:45 pm

Thank you for the tip
Old May 18, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by murphy
I’ve had a really frustrating experience with Saks customer service. My package was never delivered for an order I placed back in February, and I still haven’t been able to get a refund. I had to file a claim with FedEx, and three times I’ve called and they said I would receive a refund in 10-15 business days. At this point I’m thinking I should just file a chargeback. Honestly I don’t even really care about the money, but it’s pissed me off enough to stick with it.

I mostly shop online at Amazon, and the customer service experience at Saks is just so much worse, it’s really surprising to me, I would have guessed that an expensive store like this would have great service.
Amex will probably ask you if you’ve contacted the merchant and what they said, and will thus ask you to wait the 10-15 days. Definitely dispute on day 15. And I agree with you, Saks is a joke of a “luxury” retailer. I went to buy a candle in store at the Tom Ford counter and they tried to sell me on their new store card that is a world elite MasterCard with no AF that included “Airport Priority and lounge access” I read the pamphlet and said hey man, this for sure does not offer any of that and you get a phone concierge. He said his boss said it did. Like how deceiving…..

Last edited by AAdamE; May 18, 2021 at 9:42 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 19, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can we still use the Saks benefit to purchase Saks gift cards? I just looked at the T's and C's and see this...

Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at Saks OFF Fifth outlet locations (in stores and online).

Is that new or am I misinterpreting?
Old May 19, 2021, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can we still use the Saks benefit to purchase Saks gift cards?
Yes, scroll back to post 960 and read forward. (I moved your post into this thread.)
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Amex will probably ask you if you’ve contacted the merchant and what they said, and will thus ask you to wait the 10-15 days. Definitely dispute on day 15. And I agree with you, Saks is a joke of a “luxury” retailer. I went to buy a candle in store at the Tom Ford counter and they tried to sell me on their new store card that is a world elite MasterCard with no AF that included “Airport Priority and lounge access” I read the pamphlet and said hey man, this for sure does not offer any of that and you get a phone concierge. He said his boss said it did. Like how deceiving…..
Yeah, I wound up disputing it after 2 months. Amex asked me to submit proof that Saks had promised me a refund. I attached a copy of the email Saks had sent, and Amex approved the dispute and removed the original charge. So all’s well that ends well. Saks could stand to take some customer service lessons from Amex.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Just a data point: used plat to purchase $50 GC at a Saks store location a few days ago. Credit posted 3 days later.
Old May 27, 2021, 8:20 pm

It also worked for me
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And the $250 version worked for me recently. Thanks.
mia and Stgermainparis like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:20 am

What is this $250 version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.