Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
There was recently a 25% discount for friends and family. Is this a sale that happens always around this time? I had just used my card before that sale, and want to keep my purchase till it comes around next time.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Accidentally reviewed the Sync thread then posted this there before Zorak pointed out I'm an idiot - so apologies if this is answered in the most recent pages of this correct thread. If nothing else, though, a DP on current shipping situation:

Anyone completed an online order from Saks recently? Curious how their order processing/shipping is doing during COVID.

I ordered something last week that was "in stock" per the website, but order status just shows "in progress" with an estimated delivery of Monday (two days ago). Product page now shows sold out. Nobody seems to be answering their customer service line today. Trying to decide how long to wait it out before writing off the $50 and just ordering from Amazon...
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow! I guess I overlooked this but I never use the benefit before. I understand it’s $100 broken down to two $50 increments over six months. If I believe. I went to the website, but I couldn’t see a way of looking for men and under $75. That would probably be the category I would look at to use the benefits
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K, DL GM , Hyatt Glob.
Originally Posted by gooselee

Anyone completed an online order from Saks recently? Curious how their order processing/shipping is doing during COVID.
Yes - ordered in October, took about about a week. Shipping location was in PA, and I was in NYC. Had ShopRunner (was delayed a day or two if I recall correctly)

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Wow! I guess I overlooked this but I never use the benefit before. I understand it’s $100 broken down to two $50 increments over six months. If I believe. I went to the website, but I couldn’t see a way of looking for men and under $75. That would probably be the category I would look at to use the benefits
You can filter by price once you're in the category.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
You can't search for under $75 but if you click on clothing you can search for under $50 or $50 to $150 only.

Pre-Covid I was buying $50 gift cards at a Saks store and am planning on using them at off 5th eventually.

No sure if I'll be able to make it to a physical Saks by December and love AESOP products and they have a hand soap I buy anyway and it ended up being just under $50 with tax so I did that for the credit this half.

If you like good skin care products of shaving or cologne/perfume this credit can be a good use for that.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by homegrowned
Yes - ordered in October, took about about a week. Shipping location was in PA, and I was in NYC. Had ShopRunner (was delayed a day or two if I recall correctly)
Hmm...appears mine is being drop-shipped from the vendor (it's a coffee pot) and thus wasn't eligible for Shoprunner. I'll give it another week or so before calling again to cancel, I guess.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Pre-Covid I was buying $50 gift cards at a Saks store and am planning on using them at off 5th eventually.
You were getting the credit?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
See the Wikipost at the top of the thread:

Things known to count for the credit:
Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
Physical gift cards purchased in-store
Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Rakuten is back to 2% on "everything else" (10% on women's apparel). TCB is at 4%.

Some other holiday chocolate/popcorn/etc. got loaded for pre-order so although it wasn't what I was originally looking at, I went ahead with that
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Up[ until this half, I have always done that to get the credit. You just have to go in the store to buy it if you only want a $50 card and buy it at Saks, not an off 5th (but the card will work at off 5th). There are no Saks by me and the only reason I'm not doing it for this period is I probably won't be near a Saks store since I'm not going to fly until the pandemic is under control.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I placed an order last Sunday night (with ShopRunner). It shipped Monday early morning from Tennessee (via Fedex). Received it Wednesday morning at my front door in NYC. I'd say they are operating quite well despite Covid online order volume and potential workforce impacts. Maybe I was just lucky. Received the 10% cash back from Rakutan (plus $10 new customer bonus) and expect the $50 Saks credit to apply soon.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave456
I placed an order last Sunday night (with ShopRunner). It shipped Monday early morning from Tennessee (via Fedex). Received it Wednesday morning at my front door in NYC. I'd say they are operating quite well despite Covid online order volume and potential workforce impacts. Maybe I was just lucky. Received the 10% cash back from Rakutan (plus $10 new customer bonus) and expect the $50 Saks credit to apply soon.
Ok, lesson learned. If ordering stuff online, give strong preference to things shipped directly from Saks (and thus ShopRunner eligible) vs. items that will get drop-shipped from the vendor.

Tried calling them several times yesterday and couldn't get through to a human. Tried DMs on twitter and never got past the bot saying "I'll have a live agent take over now". Finally got through this morning and the response was "your order has been sent to the vendor. They'll ship whenever they can and we don't control that."
Segments likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:57 am

I use the credit to treat myself twice a year to goodies I wouldn't ordinarily buy for myself. Special chocolate. New color lipstick.
mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Buying $50 GC in store for the benefit credit? I’ve asked this before and was assured no problem. But I see blogs with entire posts dedicated to the credit withdrawn bc of GC purchase. I successfully purchased a GC in store in March with no issue. Would like to get another for this half year benefit. But worried about clawback.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:19 am

I bought $50 gc in str on 10/21 & got sc on 10/23. It still works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.