Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:49 am

I bought a Saks shirt, and saw the typical $50 AmEx credit marked as "Shop Saks with Platinum Credit"
But then a few days later I also got this odd additional charge:

$17 charge (not a credit) that is also marked as "Shop Saks with Platinum Credit"

Has anyone else seen this?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by baronworm
$17 charge (not a credit) that is also marked as "Shop Saks with Platinum Credit"
A charge with that name sounds like a clawback. In that case your last purchase may not even be relevant. That amount may be from as far in the past as your history goes.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Shipment date and credit date is less important than purchase date. Whether Amex needs to do it manually or not, you can use your initial purchase transaction date as grounds for Amex to adjust things when you aim to go for the second half credit on a SAKS’ purchase.

This time I saw a June 29th Saks pending transaction for which final charge posted on June 30th and the credit got posted on July 3rd. And that was even as 2 day shipping had the shipment arrive on July 2nd.

The periods before I saw even more 11th hour things, and yet the credits ended up working out fine.
I had the same issue as the above poster - placed order June 28 with 2-day shipping, but the item didn't ship until July 2 and that was the bill date. I already contacted AmEx twice, once via chat and once via phone, and both times they told me they have to go by the date the merchant bills AmEx; the purchase date in June doesn't matter. Is there an alternate course of action you suggest to get the additional $50 credit?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I had the same issue as the above poster - placed order June 28 with 2-day shipping, but the item didn't ship until July 2 and that was the bill date. I already contacted AmEx twice, once via chat and once via phone, and both times they told me they have to go by the date the merchant bills AmEx; the purchase date in June doesn't matter. Is there an alternate course of action you suggest to get the additional $50 credit?
it's not an Amex problem. And how is 2-day shipping relevant here? You cut it too close. Likely be a loss of $50.
jamesteroh and Segments like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think your SOL. You should have received the credit for July to Dec though. If you made the purchase just to use the credit you can always return it to a Saks store and ask for a store credit to use in the future.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
does anyone know if there is a "tracker" on my amex account that shows how much of my credit has been used?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by cfabar1
does anyone know if there is a "tracker" on my amex account that shows how much of my credit has been used?
No, but you can just look at your statement over the past month. You are allotted a $50 credit for Jan-June and another from July-Dec.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
I'm in the same boat. Regarding Aesop, it looks like the brand is not being sold at Nordstrom's: https://www.nordstrom.com/brands/aesop--13490

I have sent an email to Saks.
Well, it took a month, but this is the answer from Saks. And indeed, their inventory has been replenished since last month:

Thank you for your recent comments.

Our goal is to consistently succeed in delivering personalized style and service to our customers whether they are shopping online, through our catalogs, or in a Saks store. We strive to present the most important and exciting merchandise mix possible. At times, we are limited by the designers themselves as to whether their products can be made available online, and at this time, we are sorry to say that we have limited inventory to offer to our online customers.

We do hope that at some time in the future this merchandise will be available to you online; until then, we sincerely hope that you will continue to shop with us at Saks.com, and that we will have the privilege of presenting many items that meet your shopping needs. We look forward to hearing from you again, and to many opportunities to be of assistance.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I ordered the AESOP shower gel I love Monday and received it yesterday using the free shoprunner. Worked out great because with tax it was $48.27 so great way to use the credit. Credit hasn't posted yet, great way to get the shower gel I love for free.

I have always bought a physical gift card in the past and was my first time buying online and made the mistake of signing up for their emails. I'm getting a ton of spam now.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
I have had this happen and spoke with customer service. I ordered well before the end of June but the charge was held for almost a week. They applied the credit for me.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Tumi on sale at 30% off
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
You could search the transaction for "SAKS".
It will show the credit for the year as well.

Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Woke up today to see a charge on each of my Platinum Cards “Shop Saks with Platinum”.

Not complaining, I knew this was a possibility. Just reporting that Amex RAT is up to no good.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Woke up today to see a charge on each of my Platinum Cards “Shop Saks with Platinum”.
Not complaining, I knew this was a possibility. Just reporting that Amex RAT is up to no good.
Could you please clarify? What did you do that created such possibility, e.g. return of a reimbursed purchase?
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Could you please clarify? What did you do that created such possibility, e.g. return of a reimbursed purchase?
Yes. I’ve been ordering online and returning at the store. Never had a clawback until the purchases and returned made for the first half of 2020.

I’d have to switch to a gift card strategy. Does that still works?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.