Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
In the same way that a free Toyota is way more valuable than 10% off a Rolls. Unless of course you are Bill Gates and don't care. But he probably does care, which is why he is still rich.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nanirina
darn my first half year $50 credit was wasted. Couldn't make it to a store and bought some stuff from Saks on June 29th and used 2da shipping. Unfortunately item didn't ship till July 1st and credit got given for July 1st
Shipment date and credit date is less important than purchase date. Whether Amex needs to do it manually or not, you can use your initial purchase transaction date as grounds for Amex to adjust things when you aim to go for the second half credit on a SAKS’ purchase.

This time I saw a June 29th Saks pending transaction for which final charge posted on June 30th and the credit got posted on July 3rd. And that was even as 2 day shipping had the shipment arrive on July 2nd.

The periods before I saw even more 11th hour things, and yet the credits ended up working out fine.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 6, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:02 pm

Ugh, Saks is pretty incomptent...they shipped half my order and I already got it - the other half of the order has been processing since 7/2 and hasn't even shipped yet (despite ShopRunner 2 day delivery window).

I have 4 days until payment is due on the Platinum and I want to cancel (or maybe downgrade) the card. I wanted them to just charge the credit card but they can't tell me when that will happen - and they can't just execute the transaction so it can post.

Anyone know what happens if I cancel the card and then they tried to charge it? I assume it will decline the charge and that will cause a mess...really trying to avoid that
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by nanirina
darn my first half year $50 credit was wasted. Couldn't make it to a store and bought some stuff from Saks on June 29th and used 2da shipping. Unfortunately item didn't ship till July 1st and credit got given for July 1st
Same here. Mine still hasn't shipped from June 29th and yesterday got an email about "system issue at distribution center".
lax01 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Same here. Mine still hasn't shipped from June 29th and yesterday got an email about "system issue at distribution center".
Yeah, I actually canceled part of my order and I think they still shipped it...the Saks charge finally posted to my account too (for the lesser amount)
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I did another round of La Maison du Chocolat boxes on my Plat and my wife's. They were $100 each, including shipping. July 8 the $100 charges posted; July 12 for the $50 statement credits. My wife is very happy about this. She's quite the chocolate connoisseur, and she considers these the very best.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:27 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey;32529962.
...including shipping. ....
What type of shipping do they use in summer?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
What type of shipping do they use in summer?
You have to select the overnight shipping for the chocolates ($15). Box had an insulated wrap and an ice pack inside. Chocolates arrived in good condition. This might not work if the box sits outside for long in a hot location.
mia and akr1970akr like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
does saks online offer the option of splitting payment methods? I normally buy a $50 gift card when I travel but with covid who knows if I'll be able to before December.

There's a couple things I want online and have some gift cards but only want to charge $50 on the Am Ex for the credit and the balance using my gift cards.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by dhuey
You have to select the overnight shipping for the chocolates ($15). Box had an insulated wrap and an ice pack inside. Chocolates arrived in good condition. This might not work if the box sits outside for long in a hot location.
I melted a bag of chocolate popcorn in the trunk of my car in just 45 min !
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Bought a GC in-store during the weekend of 7/4 (due to fears of retail stores getting shut down again) and the credit posted a few days later. I highly recommend that people just go to the nearest Saks store and buy a GC rather than trying to order stuff online since you don't have to deal with potential problems about the billing/shipping date, if you can get there for less than $20-30 in gasoline/electricity.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I melted a bag of chocolate popcorn in the trunk of my car in just 45 min !
Heh. Yes, even with the insulated wrap and ice pack inside, it's a roll of the dice to order these chocolates in July for delivery in a hot location. That's not usually a concern here in Berkeley, Cal., though we do get occasional heat waves when high pressure sends in hot air from the east.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
does saks online offer the option of splitting payment methods? I normally buy a $50 gift card when I travel but with covid who knows if I'll be able to before December.

There's a couple things I want online and have some gift cards but only want to charge $50 on the Am Ex for the credit and the balance using my gift cards.
Yes: and it defaults to drawing all the funds from the gift card before charging the remainder to the Amex card. Amex credit posts automatically for such situations too.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes: and it defaults to drawing all the funds from the gift card before charging the remainder to the Amex card. Amex credit posts automatically for such situations too.
Darn, the item I want is around $80 and wanted $50 charged to Am Ex and the balance to the gift card
happychic likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Darn, the item I want is around $80 and wanted $50 charged to Am Ex and the balance to the gift card
Yeah, I was in a similar situation and there wasn't a way to just apply a portion of a gift card.

I ended up finding another item to bump up the total to just over $100 in order to use up the entire $50 gift card & 1H $50 credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.