Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Probably goes without saying but this is not a benefit on Business Plat nor personal Centurion
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So it appears the Saks credit does work on gift cards, at least if purchased in store. I bought a $50 one in store on July 1 and saw the credit post yesterday.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

TL;DR: 6 days from purchase at Saks until $50 credit posted.

I never set foot in a Saks before, so during a visit to Vegas I decided to check it out. I expected a premium shopping experience, instead it felt like I was in a ridiculously overpriced version of Marshalls. Bright white light, racks of discounted junk hanging everywhere. Shirts at $150 discounted down to $50, which is still about $30 too much. I have no idea who shops there, but it doesn't feel "premium" and it certainly ain't cheap.

In the end bought a shirt for $52 (after a 70% discount). Purchase was on July 1st, credit finally posted on the morning of July 7th. Right on time, so I could call Amex and cancel my Platinum account while I can still get the AF refunded.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by blaz
TL;DR: 6 days from purchase at Saks until $50 credit posted.

I never set foot in a Saks before, so during a visit to Vegas I decided to check it out. I expected a premium shopping experience, instead it felt like I was in a ridiculously overpriced version of Marshalls. Bright white light, racks of discounted junk hanging everywhere. Shirts at $150 discounted down to $50, which is still about $30 too much. I have no idea who shops there, but it doesn't feel "premium" and it certainly ain't cheap.

In the end bought a shirt for $52 (after a 70% discount). Purchase was on July 1st, credit finally posted on the morning of July 7th. Right on time, so I could call Amex and cancel my Platinum account while I can still get the AF refunded.
There is nothing premium about Saks, I never really understood where people got that impression other than the price tags, which are a premium indeed. Glad the credit is posting fast though, I may make a run up to the Saks in Boca to grab a gift card so I can use it on something useful at Off 5th. I'd do it online but I'm a bit concerned about it coding differently.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:36 pm

I've found the quality of products at Saks varies depending on the city. In some cities they have great buys and carry great designers in addition to an extensive tailored/mtm selection and in other cities its nothing more than what you'd find at most Nordstroms or Bloomingdales. Also some cities' Nordstrom and Bloomingdales have surprisingly good buys.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
I've found the quality of products at Saks varies depending on the city. In some cities they have great buys and carry great designers in addition to an extensive tailored/mtm selection and in other cities its nothing more than what you'd find at most Nordstroms or Bloomingdales. Also some cities' Nordstrom and Bloomingdales have surprisingly good buys.
I don't know how a $1000 shirt can ever be a good buy:

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Men/...o?Ne=399545537
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:08 am

This is exactly the kind of stuff I kept running across when glancing online.... I mean just crazy prices, not just "premium upper end" prices but flat out crazy. I think you could get away with a cheaper price if you covered yourself in $5 bills or something, lol

Anyway, some of the cologne options don't seem to be marked up too much (or at all) over places like Macy's. I found a handful of options for like $55 to $80, and that's something that I actually might use on a regular basis and would last awhile. If I end up spending ~$20 or something vs $70 at Macy's then it's a worth while deal.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

That is the definition of insane. I thought you were at least talking about a super fancy dress shirt or something.

And, for the types of people buying $1,000 t-shirts...are they really shopping at Saks? I'd think they have actual personal shoppers or are visiting the actual designer stores, not the crappy subset inventory of a mall department store.

Then again, that's a world I have no clue about.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I was expecting at least a dress shirt, not a t-shirt. Wow. I assume Saks keeps them in a bank vault somewhere?

Made in Italy. No wonder our trade deficit is so large if “we” buy $1250 t-shirt’s from the EU

I got my $15 t-shirt from Saks the other day. Hate it. Weird material. Will get donated with its tags still attached. :/
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I assume Saks keeps them in a bank vault somewhere?
They're certainly keeping a lot of something in a bank vault somewhere...along with Gucci and whoever else.

A bit OT, but I got a chance to go up to Bicester Village (high end outlet mall) outside London recently. The "sale" price for a pair of shoes at Prada was still 700 GBP. Judging by the bags walking back to the train, there's a good market for this stuff I guess. Fun people watching. I did succumb to buying a Burberry scarf for about 60% off MSRP, which made it essentially a fair price but with a fancy tag on it. Admittedly, part of that expense was to collect brownie points with Mrs. Lee, but when I got home she tossed the scarf aside as she was more excited about the sack full of Quavers I brought back. Good reminder of why we're married.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:32 pm

This goes for all department stores including Saks but the inventory for the webstore is separate from the physical locations so again, the quality of each Saks varies from city by city. And by good buys I was referring to their buyers choosing good items to buy for the store to sell.

If people are just looking for ways to blow the Saks credit I'd suggest picking up a candle or diffuser from the home fragrance section and use them as gifts.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:26 pm

A fool and his/her money are soon parted. Those shirts better come packed with $100 bills.

Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:30 pm

I’ll be purchasing a couple makeup items. Most of the higher end brands are rarely discounted and there’s a couple products that I use...so...score!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Saks charge posted on the Ameriprise Plat on 6 July; credit posted on 9 July.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: DL PM
^ same for me on my MB plat -- saks charge posted 7/6 and credit on 7/9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.