Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
Any experience with the Saks credit being triggered and refunded back with the purchase of a gift card directly from Saks?
Mine did. Bought a $50 physical GC at Saks’ physical store in NYC in Feb of 2019. Credit was triggered and posted to my AMEX statement. I closed the Plat card a few months later (as I have another Plat card. AMEX mailed me a paper statement in November reversing the $50 credit.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by buschoi
Mine did. Bought a $50 physical GC at Saks’ physical store in NYC in Feb of 2019. Credit was triggered and posted to my AMEX statement. I closed the Plat card a few months later (as I have another Plat card. AMEX mailed me a paper statement in November reversing the $50 credit.
I sure wish we could use this credit at any of their stores worldwide. I'm constantly traveling, and not around the U.S., so I have to order online right before I arrive there. Saks is located in Manama, Bahrain, where I'll be in a few weeks
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This seems to indicate that the $50 credit was clawed back because you canceled the Plat card rather than because you bought a gift card. Has anyone else had the same experience? I’m planning on canceling my card when the renewal fee comes up at the end of the month.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did you have some reason for not sharing the above before now? I assume you check your accounts online too. I do understand that people are less likely to check accounts that they have closed out.

Going back 9 months to reverse an automatically-triggered credit seems rather extraordinary. Have you contacted Amex to find out what went on with the $50 credit reversal?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:23 am

Bought a $50 physical GC at Saks’ physical store in NYC in Feb of 2019. Credit was triggered and posted to my AMEX statement. I closed the Plat card a few months later (as I have another Plat card. AMEX mailed me a paper statement in November reversing the $50 credit.
Please mention how long that Plat card was open (at least if it was more or less than 1 year).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by margarita girl
This seems to indicate that the $50 credit was clawed back because you canceled the Plat card rather than because you bought a gift card. Has anyone else had the same experience? I’m planning on canceling my card when the renewal fee comes up at the end of the month.
How can they claw back the credit as long as the gift card was purchased before the account was closed? This has me concerned seeing I opened the account in the fall of 19 and took advantage of the credit last October, January 1 and planning on doing it again in July or August when I'm back in Chicago and closing the account in October right before the annual fee hits. I don't want Am Ex sending me a bill for $150 in November.

I used to start out the year with two delta plats, get in the minimum spend for the two MQM boosts and then upgrade to a reserve for the two mqm boosts and downgrade and since Delta no longer gives Diamonds a skyclub membership the only reason I opened up the platinum card was for lounge access during the months I didn't have a delta reserve card at the skyclub and lounge access at LAX. Figures not even a week after I opened this account Delta/Am Ex announced the enhancements to the reserve card so I no longer have any use for the Plat card.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
On what grounds? What else was in that statement that they sent you? They can't charge you for visiting Priority Pass or Centurion lounges just because you later cancel the card -- those benefits go along with the card and as long as the account is active and in good standing, you're entitled to receive them. If they decide at any point that they don't want to allow you to continue receiving the benefits, the most they can do is shut down your account. Furthermore, if you disagree with a charge, you have only 2-3 months to dispute it. It seems wrong that they'd essentially be able to "dispute" a charge that you made in February if it's all the way into November unless something exceptional happened.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:37 am

Location: Everywhere & Nowhere - living in hotels worldwide 365
Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat/IC Amb, Hyatt Globalist, GHA Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have to admit that I bought a $50 gift card at Saks Waikiki in Nov and put it in a safe place. I’ve been looking for it for 3 days and have run out of places to look!
I bought a $50 GC at that same store during a layover at the hotel across the street.

But rather than stare at it, I went online and traded it in for $40 of Amazon credit. Sure, it's a reduction in the benefit value, but it's value that I'll actually use. The site I used was www.cardcash.com The Amazon value arrived as an e-code which I applied immediately to my account. I then threw away the Sak's card. No need to mail it in or wait for a physical card to arrive in trade. No, I am not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo
... I then threw away the Sak's card. No need to mail it in or wait for a physical card to arrive in trade.
It was a bad idea to throw away the sold card right away. I don't know the exact terms of your transaction. But most likely you're guaranteeing the value of the Saks card until it has a new owner and they don't dispute anything. If the sold card gets drained in the interim, you may have to provide documentation, the physical card, or replace the value.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo
I bought a $50 GC at that same store during a layover at the hotel across the street.

But rather than stare at it, I went online and traded it in for $40 of Amazon credit. Sure, it's a reduction in the benefit value, but it's value that I'll actually use. The site I used was www.cardcash.com The Amazon value arrived as an e-code which I applied immediately to my account. I then threw away the Sak's card. No need to mail it in or wait for a physical card to arrive in trade. No, I am not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Maybe I'll do this with the two cards I have now. I was going to use them at off-fifth but they closed the store by the hotel I stay at in Chicago last year and there are no off 5ths near me. Thought about using them on Aesop soaps but I received plenty of their products for Christmas . Not a good return on the card, but I look at it like $40 free amazon shopping.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
1/4: Physical GC purchase in-store
1/7: Credited
LukeIronWall likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:53 am

Thanks for the 2020 data point. I wanted to verify before doing the same myself.

Originally Posted by STS-134
1/4: Physical GC purchase in-store
1/7: Credited
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:25 pm

I think they are clawing back GC purchases.

https://milestomemories.boardingarea...it-gift-cards/
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by theseeker
I think they are clawing back GC purchases.

https://milestomemories.boardingarea...it-gift-cards/
That article is from 3 months ago and there have been no other reports of clawbacks since then.
jamesteroh and krazykanuck like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had been rummaging around in my sock drawer trying to find my certs, being concerned that there were only three? Luckily, I thought to consult this thread where I was relieved to discover that the scheme only began in July 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.