Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 19, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jun 29, 18, 4:49 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Why is a "free" $50 item more valuable than saving $50 on a $200 item?
See below:

Originally Posted by acarney View Post
It isnít... if you already shop there. If you donít shop there, then spending $200 just to *save* $50 isnít a great deal...
Bingo. I've probably spent money at the main Saks once in a decade. Absurdly over priced, saving $50 on something that is $200 at Saks that I could get for $100 online or at an Off 5th if I just have patience isn't useful. If you shop at Saks, then you're in good shape. If you're just looking to get value out of the credit without spending any extra dollars, finding something that's $50 every 6 months is going to be a tough task.

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
It *says* no gift cards, but they say that with the airline credit too. Not sure I'm going to be the one to test that out. $100 once a year would be more useful than $50 x2.

I'm honestly going to see if my buddy wants to let me use his $50 in July, and then he can have my $50 in January.
I'm really curious about this too, hopefully we see some data points on people who bought a Saks GC and did/did not get a credit. Amex says no GC for all their credits but obviously we all know there are workarounds. I'm not going to be the guinea pig but we should get some data points pretty quickly. I have no idea how they'd tell the difference between a GC and non-GC purchase, especially if done in-store. Shame Off 5th doesn't work though, would make using this credit way easier.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:52 pm
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,140
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Does anyone have insight as to whether this can be used in < $50 increments? I might not get the full value but if I find something that is under $50 but useful I'd rather get that for free than have to spend $50+ to save it.


The T&C's state that you can receive "up to $50 statement credit" during those two six month periods so - though IANAL - I'd interpret that as you'd get a statement credit for $38 if you bought something for that amount.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 4:54 pm
  #33  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,140
Originally Posted by RumPatrol View Post
See below:



Bingo. I've probably spent money at the main Saks once in a decade. Absurdly over priced, saving $50 on something that is $200 at Saks that I could get for $100 online or at an Off 5th if I just have patience isn't useful. If you shop at Saks, then you're in good shape. If you're just looking to get value out of the credit without spending any extra dollars, finding something that's $50 every 6 months is going to be a tough task.


Not really. I don't shop at Saks - ever - but after I enrolled today I went to the Saks website and you can filter search results by dollar value. Several pages of items for less than $50 today. Now, whether you'd actually want any of those items is a matter of personal preference; I found a few items that I wouldn't normally buy but would happily accept for free.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 5:23 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,004
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Amex Blue Business Plus. 2x up to $50k annually
Doesn't really help with the concept of carrying more cards
lax01 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 7:11 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Does anyone have insight as to whether this can be used in < $50 increments? I might not get the full value but if I find something that is under $50 but useful I'd rather get that for free than have to spend $50+ to save it.



They do exclude "Off 5th", and the terms say no GCs. If you shop at Saks regardless of this credit, hopefully you can go buy a GC and report back if you were credited?



The Uber credit can be used in smaller increments, that sounds more like a function of your area and rides. I've had $7.50 and $9 fares credited appropriately. I do find I like the Uber credit and I will get my money out of Saks, overall I think I agree with your sentiment.
Youíre totally right about the Uber, and I guess if youíre in a decent sized city and just going a short distance then it is a free ride type deal. Just every time Iíve been traveling and kinda pre-priced an Uber (so without factoring in any potential surge pricing) its always been like a $30+ trip. So then Iím like, might as well just rent a car if round trip is going to be $60... or usually end up taking a light rail or something like that. Thatís why I really wish it was a yearly allowance. Three or four times a year I might use an Uber, especially if I had a credit, but each time the fare has been more then $15 for me.

OR, itís been ďok, great, Iím traveling for three days and took uber instead of getting a car, I have $15 credit and I didnít use uber at all the past four months... >.< ď
acarney is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 8:48 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Not really. I don't shop at Saks - ever - but after I enrolled today I went to the Saks website and you can filter search results by dollar value. Several pages of items for less than $50 today. Now, whether you'd actually want any of those items is a matter of personal preference; I found a few items that I wouldn't normally buy but would happily accept for free.
I should have clarified. Things under $50 that aren't garbage. Having a little experience in that industry, I know all too well that the items in that price range or routinely on """""sale""""" are either house brand items which are the worst possible quality or basic items from designers who just flood the market with pure **** products that you can find for $10 anywhere else (Michael Kors, Diesel, Armani, Calvin Klein and Polo/RL being the biggest offenders). I guess a free pair of $30 socks that you can buy for $15 online is something.

If this credit was actually usable at Off 5th, you'd be *far* more likely to find a good deal on an actual quality product. Hopefully we get some data points on if gift cards actually work ala the airline credit. If so, then it can be used at Off 5th and I'll happily grab a couple Brioni ties for the price of one. If not, well, I guess a guy can't have too many dress socks.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Jun 29, 18, 9:19 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH
Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,076
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
They do exclude "Off 5th", and the terms say no GCs. If you shop at Saks regardless of this credit, hopefully you can go buy a GC and report back if you were credited?
I'll try to give this a go on Sunday or Monday and report back, because honestly I'm curious and might have to resort to the GC thing anyway. I try to group my clothing purchases into as few trips per year as possible A $55 Saks GC will get used up easily next time I go to Off 5th...
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Jun 29, 18, 10:49 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 4,321
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
The T&C's state that you can receive "up to $50 statement credit" during those two six month periods so - though IANAL - I'd interpret that as you'd get a statement credit for $38 if you bought something for that amount.
Now that I'm home and logged in, I see that it says "up to" as you pointed out. That should be like the Uber and airline credits then.

Originally Posted by acarney View Post
<snip>
So then I’m like, might as well just rent a car if round trip is going to be $60... or usually end up taking a light rail or something like that. That’s why I really wish it was a yearly allowance. Three or four times a year I might use an Uber, especially if I had a credit, but each time the fare has been more then $15 for me.

OR, it’s been “ok, great, I’m traveling for three days and took uber instead of getting a car, I have $15 credit and I didn’t use uber at all the past four months... >.< “
I hear you about the break-even point on rental cars and that the annual credit would be better for Uber too. Most months my credit is used for Uber Eats. The highest delivery fee I've paid was $6.50, which I figure is the "lost" portion in cashing out my $200, leaving $122. Not bad despite not being dollar-for-dollar.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 18, 2:46 pm
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 12,917
Originally Posted by RumPatrol View Post
I should have clarified. Things under $50 that aren't garbage. Having a little experience in that industry, I know all too well that the items in that price range or routinely on """""sale""""" are either house brand items which are the worst possible quality or basic items from designers who just flood the market with pure **** products that you can find for $10 anywhere else (Michael Kors, Diesel, Armani, Calvin Klein and Polo/RL being the biggest offenders). I guess a free pair of $30 socks that you can buy for $15 online is something.
I am surprised to learn that Saks would risk damaging their reputation by selling ďcheapĒ **** products.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Jun 30, 18, 4:02 pm
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 6,140
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post


I am surprised to learn that Saks would risk damaging their reputation by selling “cheap” **** products.
Depends. Is that 4 stars out of 5 stars or 4 stars on a 10 star scale? :-::-::-::-:

Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jun 30, 18, 4:40 pm
  #41  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Posts: 2,991
i don't generally shop at Saks but between my wife and two daughters all of whom buy fairly expensive makeup which is generally the same price anywhere I will clearly use this credit.
abk is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:29 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,702
I broke my belt last week so I'm headed to Saks today to see if I can find a new one. If it's not under about $70, I'll just head back to Marshall's where I can reliably find dress belts for $20 or less and not have to fiddle with an Amex credit.

But since I otherwise wouldn't go to Saks for anything, this credit isn't really worth much to me.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:57 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: US
Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,009
All the Saks in Dfw closed down and we only have Off Fifth now. Iím going to take my chances on a gift card online.
krazieman is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:53 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,539
Just bought a TUMI umbrella for 50 (54.50 with tax). Let's see when I'll see the credit.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 18, 8:00 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 12,917
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Just bought a TUMI umbrella for 50 (54.50 with tax). Let's see when I'll see the credit.
i bought some undies and t-shirts.
notquiteaff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread