Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This is pretty much the same as if Saks created two $50 Amex Offers each year, but Saks will get a different level of publicity than it it were mixed in with a hundred other offers.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Shall we begin speculating on what benefit is going away on the Plat due to this Saks credit?
Neiman Marcus InCircle?

Last edited by mia; Jun 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:12 am

It's an interesting perk. This could just be offered as one of their normal "offers" (buy $50 get $50 back) that you have to add but they have elevated it to "benefit" status. I'm thinking that there's a big marketing investment from Saks for this to be offered as a permanent benefit.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by gmt4
Saks is a decent perk, I'll take any free credits I can get.

I always can use new neckties so that's where $50 twice a year can go.
That was how I plan to use it as well. However, I do not want to see this as a weak replacement altogether for losing Uber.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jun 27, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I figured it was probably a typo but you never know with Amex. I'll say this though, I'll absolutely get some use out of this credit, which is more than I can say for the Uber credit and Global Entry credit 4 out of 5 years. If they did away with either, I wouldn't be sad.

The Uber credit card is awfully attractive too but as someone who has never once used Uber stateside, I don't have a need for it, or the Uber credit from Amex. Now, if they'd make it so the Uber credit could be used overseas, as if it were, you know, a travel card, I'd be all in.

Shoprunner is another "perk" that I think I've used once. I'm sure the Saks credit can be used online, finding something that is under $100 or two things under $50 on the other hand...
Do they sell Visa/MC? If they do, I'm in.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
.... finding something that is under $100 or two things under $50 on the other hand...
Why is a "free" $50 item more valuable than saving $50 on a $200 item?

Last edited by mia; Jun 28, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Why is a "free" $50 item more valuable than saving $50 on a $200 item?
It isn’t... if you already shop there. If you don’t shop there, then spending $200 just to *save* $50 isn’t a great deal...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:29 pm

Enrollment is live.

Terms and Conditions:
Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on a U.S. Consumer Platinum Card®Account can enroll in the benefit. Eligible purchases must be charged to the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases by both the enrolled Basic Card Member and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is only eligible for up to a $50 statement credit from January through June and up to a $50 statement credit from July through December for a total of $100 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Valid at Saks Fifth Avenue online or at locations in the US and US Territories. Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at outlet locations (in stores and online). Excludes purchases at restaurants located within the store and Online Bill Pay for Saks Credit. Not valid on online purchases shipped outside of the US. Please allow 2-4 weeks after an eligible purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your eligible purchase from merchant until all items from your eligible purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if the eligible purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the benefit, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not be eligible if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credits fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information, call the number on the back of your Card.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Never thought of the restaurant - that would've been nice!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
$100 is nice, but all their stuff is super expensive. Who the heck pays $150 for a "designer" graphic t-shirt that probably costs less than $2 to make?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'll hazard a guess that's a typo and it's going to be a $50 credit for each of the periods Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec.

I can foresee the secondary market for discounted Saks $50 gifts cards gaining momentum soon.

Shall we begin speculating on what benefit is going away on the Plat due to this Saks credit?
Based on the T&Cs looks like it was indeed a typo. But, I also wouldn't have been surprised if they did omit Q4 as a way of boosting sales outside of the Christmas rush.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
$100 is nice, but all their stuff is super expensive. Who the heck pays $150 for a "designer" graphic t-shirt that probably costs less than $2 to make?
Probably the exact people Amex/Saks would like to attract. I have a Saks near me and have never found anything worthwhile (to me) there. Maybe I'll pick up a couple nice pairs of socks or something with the credit.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Edit: Nevermind - just noticed the "Starting July 1, 2018..." language.
Since enrollment is live, does that mean one could sneak in a purchase today or tomorrow before the end of June and then be eligible for two $50 credits this calendar year?

Last edited by rdukrk; Jun 29, 2018 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdukrk
Edit: Nevermind - just noticed the "Starting July 1, 2018..." language.
Since enrollment is live, does that mean one could sneak in a purchase today or tomorrow before the end of June and then be eligible for two $50 credits this calendar year?
No, because Jan - June 2018 does not exist as a valid purchase period.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It *says* no gift cards, but they say that with the airline credit too. Not sure I'm going to be the one to test that out. $100 once a year would be more useful than $50 x2.

I'm honestly going to see if my buddy wants to let me use his $50 in July, and then he can have my $50 in January.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Would be nice. As far as benefits go, I'd love to see a Hotel incidental credit of $100-$200 annually. Not sure how that might work with the FHR credit, but that would make me get the card.

But still, I wouldn't charge a whole lot to it.
I doubt we'll see that since the Aspire card (from Amex) offers a Hilton hotel credit and a travel credit... it just earns Hilton points instead of MR. I'm just getting a little frustrated with these spend some to get some perks. Both Uber and this require you to spend. Even with Uber almost never was a bill less then $15, so to use the credit you're always charging something extra. With this you'll probably have to spend even more to make use of this benefit since their prices are so high. I can't think of how it would work with this, but with Uber it could have been 30% discount in general or one free ride a month (and then some fine print of up to $100 or something so a person isn't going 50 miles in the Uber etc). The $15 credit and this $50 credit should really have been more like offers that were periodically available and $50 off a purchase of $50 or more and $15 off an Uber ride of $15 or more, etc.

When you think of elite benefits you think of hotel memberships, free upgrades, fees taken care of for you so you enjoy a couple drinks on the flight or extra baggage that the general guy would pay $45 for, etc. Club and lounge access... Things like that, not "Hey, here's a few bucks if you come shop here", which lets face it, $50 at Saks is a "few bucks".
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Does anyone have insight as to whether this can be used in < $50 increments? I might not get the full value but if I find something that is under $50 but useful I'd rather get that for free than have to spend $50+ to save it.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I really like the Saks add, and it's something I can see myself getting good value out of. I easily spend a $200-500 a year at saks and off 5th, so if they don't include off 5th, as long as we can buy GCs at real Saks who cares.
They do exclude "Off 5th", and the terms say no GCs. If you shop at Saks regardless of this credit, hopefully you can go buy a GC and report back if you were credited?

Originally Posted by acarney
The $15 credit and this $50 credit should really have been more like offers that were periodically available and $50 off a purchase of $50 or more and $15 off an Uber ride of $15 or more, etc.
The Uber credit can be used in smaller increments, that sounds more like a function of your area and rides. I've had $7.50 and $9 fares credited appropriately. I do find I like the Uber credit and I will get my money out of Saks, overall I think I agree with your sentiment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.