Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

FWIW..... I haven't used my Plat AmEx in a while ...but used it last week to buy a $48 stocking cap online at Sak's. This morning I get an email from AmEx saying the someone tried to use the card at a HARLEYSVILLE CAR WASH for .74 cents. and did I recognize the charge.

They are sending a new card overnight.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:09 am

Hi All,
I activated the benefit on my primary card but made the purchase on an AU card. Will I still get the credit? Do I have to activate the benefit on an AU card also?
Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Hi All,
I activated the benefit on my primary card but made the purchase on an AU card. Will I still get the credit? Do I have to activate the benefit on an AU card also?
Thanks.
There isn't anything to activate on the AU card (since it isn't eligible for its own Saks credit), but please report back if the AU charge can count against your primary card's Saks credit?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:34 am

They have a lot of candy on sale for half price right now. Got a pretty large assortment, shipped free 2 day, for 2.50 after the credit.
bizum likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:10 am

Returns question

I purchased something last week for $50 and the $50 reimbursement came thru recently. What would happen if I return this item while spending another $50 before end of year? Would the original reimbursement reverse, then retrigger a new reimbursement as long as the new charge goes thru by 12/31?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:17 am

If I make the charge before end of year but the credit shows up in January, does that credit apply to the 1H2019 or 2H2018?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by xooz
If I make the charge before end of year but the credit shows up in January, does that credit apply to the 1H2019 or 2H2018?
I would think 2H2018, as that’s when you made the charge.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:58 pm

I usually get the "surprised eyebrow raise" look from waitresses, baristas etc when handing over the heavy metal card, even in NYC where you'd think it'd be common. The Saks employee gave the same reaction.
Oh well, after pushing my way through all of the tourists to get into the store, my reward was a nice little Christmas gift for myself Thanks Amex
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:56 pm

I'm actually really enjoying this benefit. I use it to buy the eye cream I buy anyway (kiehls avocado) but ..for free! I did try to get my MIL some hand cream that was delayed til 2019 (so the charge wouldnt hit the card in 2018) so ended up refilling my eye cream stash instead to use the credit in 2018.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Just reporting that I bought a $50 gift card in store and received the $50 credit.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I was just about to make my purchase with my new platinum card but noticed the two sale items i was looking to purchase mentioned they might "incur slight delays in shipment". Id like to confirm that the card is charged immediately, regardless of shipping date before i pull the trigger. Any experience with an item where the shipping was delayed?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by layoverdan
....card is charged immediately, regardless of shipping date...
It sounds as if Saks submits a pending charge at time of order, but does not post it until the merchandise ships. It also sounds as if many things do not ship same day:

Q: My order was canceled, so why do I still see a charge?
A: Unfortunately, when an order is canceled you may have a pending authorization which is not an actual charge. If paid with a debit card it could take up to 3 to 5 business days for the authorization to be removed. Credit card authorizations usually take up to 72 hours to remove. If you have questions or concerns about the pending authorization, please contact Customer Service at 1-877-551-SAKS (7257) or visit Live Chat with your financial institution's name and contact number readily available.
Q: It has been 24 to 48 business hours and I have not received a shipping confirmation, why?
A: All orders are subject to a review process to protect our company and customers. During peak periods, the review process may extend past our goal of 48 hours. Orders shipping from one of our stores or a vendor may take longer to ship than from our Distribution Center. Stores have up to 4 business days to physically locate the merchandise. If the merchandise is not located in this time frame the item(s) will be canceled from the order and an e-mail confirmation will be sent to notify you. Once located, please be advised standard delivery for items shipping from a store is 7 to 10 business days.
https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...jsp?pageId=faq
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Darn, I'm thinking of just going with the $150 physical gift card. im thinking that has the best chance of getting shipped tommorrow. Ive heard about combining gift cards. anyone try splitting a gift card? Id rather have 3 $50 cards that i can use as actual gifts.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone know if we need to re-enroll for the new year, or is enrollment a one-time thing? Just getting the usual status unavailable when I login.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by FrugalShopper
Does anyone know if we need to re-enroll for the new year, or is enrollment a one-time thing? Just getting the usual status unavailable when I login.
I think its a one time thing, but give it a few days and then check. I'm also getting the same error.
FrugalShopper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.