Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dhuey
On my card, I got a Tumi umbrella for $73-50=$23. On my wife's card, we got two small boxes of La Maison du Chocolat chocolates for $60-50=$10. That's $33 (including tax & shipping) for stuff that's worth way more than that to us. Yes, both the umbrella and the chocolates are overpriced, but still very high quality. Great deal, I say.
I don't consider La Maison du Chocolat overpriced (and you know what I'm buying at Saks with my credit from now on)!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:52 pm

So is Saks just utter crap? I ordered some cologne at the start of December with ShopRunner, after not seeing it charge or show up at my door I checked the order and saw that it said “pre-order” now with a ship date of “no later than December 19th”. Well it didn’t ship, chatted with Saks and they said “we don’t know when we’ll get it, we haven’t got a confirmation”. So apparently they don’t know when they’ll get the products they’re selling? Cancelled the order and just tried to place another one right now for a different cologne which I checked to make sure NO WHERE did it say pre-order. Well tried five or six times and kept getting an “error processing your order” and then gave up when I noticed it now shows this item as “pre-order”!!! Does Saks actually stock any of their crap, or what?! They need to sell $1,000 T-shirt’s when it’s this damn hard to actually order anything!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:12 am

Finally got something to process after FIVE more colognes saying “Sorry, this item is no longer available online. It will be removed from your Saks Bag upon checkout. Please call 1.800.347.9177 to inquire about store availability.” After I hit check out and put all my credit details in! WORST. SITE. EVER.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Here, I think some are failing to appreciate how this $50x2 Saks credit is a very valuable Plat benefit. It might be worth much less than $100 to some.
Same, it's worth 100% of face value for me. I used my 2 Plats to buy 2 $50 GCs and then used them at Off 5th to buy reasonably priced stuff that I would have bought anyway. I actually bought online, so went through the Chase UR portal to collect the bonus points, Shoprunnered 2 day shipping, and have already tailored the 1 thing that needed it (jeans). I believe in specialization of labor and learning to hem my own pants just really doesn't make sense to me.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by acarney
So is Saks just utter crap? I ordered some cologne at the start of December with ShopRunner, after not seeing it charge or show up at my door I checked the order and saw that it said “pre-order” now with a ship date of “no later than December 19th”. Well it didn’t ship, chatted with Saks and they said “we don’t know when we’ll get it, we haven’t got a confirmation”. So apparently they don’t know when they’ll get the products they’re selling? Cancelled the order and just tried to place another one right now for a different cologne which I checked to make sure NO WHERE did it say pre-order. Well tried five or six times and kept getting an “error processing your order” and then gave up when I noticed it now shows this item as “pre-order”!!! Does Saks actually stock any of their crap, or what?! They need to sell $1,000 T-shirt’s when it’s this damn hard to actually order anything!
I had a similar experience buying make up for my wife. In the end I choose to wait for the preorder but after 4 weeks they eventually canceled the order saying they will never have the item. Ended up ordering a different color of the same item which we got in the end, but only after 2 shipping delays.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Same, it's worth 100% of face value for me. I used my 2 Plats to buy 2 $50 GCs and then used them at Off 5th to buy reasonably priced stuff that I would have bought anyway. I actually bought online, so went through the Chase UR portal to collect the bonus points, Shoprunnered 2 day shipping, and have already tailored the 1 thing that needed it (jeans). I believe in specialization of labor and learning to hem my own pants just really doesn't make sense to me.
I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that you go through the Chase UR portal, and execute the purchase with your Amex, but you still collect the UR points?

Regards
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
I might be misunderstanding, but are you saying that you go through the Chase UR portal, and execute the purchase with your Amex, but you still collect the UR points?

Regards
Yes, one can do that.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes, one can do that.
Wow, I learned something new today, thanks!

Regards
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
For anyone who has a BA EC account, the BA shopping portal is offering 8 Avios/$ at Saks as opposed to the regular 3 Avios/$. Stacked for my H2 credit.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
Wow, I learned something new today, thanks!

Regards
The disadvantage to doing that is if - for whatever reason - the portal bonus points don't post, you have little recourse. Chase is disinclined to intervene on your behalf because you didn't use a Chase card, as specified.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:45 am

The disadvantage to doing that is if - for whatever reason - the portal bonus points don't post, you have little recourse. Chase is disinclined to intervene on your behalf because you didn't use a Chase card, as specified.
Sure, that makes sense of course.

Regards
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I paid $60-50=$10 (including tax & delivery) for French chocolates that would cost that same price elsewhere (brand enforces its MSRP on retailers). Are you saying I'm "down" $10 because I hadn't intended to purchase those chocolates? I don't see it that way. I certainly wasn't going to pay full retail for those chocolates, but I was interested with an 83% discount.
Good to know. Maybe I'll buy those next "semester" and I can wash the chocolate smudges off my face with the luxury face wash I recently bought that was only about $48 incl. tax (in a pump bottle that should last the better part of a year). Yup, that will be my plan! Summer/fall - face wash.. Winter/spring - chocolates. I suppose if the face wash lasts longer than expected, I'll mix it up and buy a sock.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by geoffk
No luck with the online GC

the actual posted charge was:
Saks Fifth A 8559729WILLMINGTON DE

but in the charge metadata, it lists the address as Online e-gift buyatab with a Canadian address so it seems they are savvy enough to filter that out from triggering a credit.
oddly the category shows up as Business Services - Conferences & Training
Thanks for posting the results of this, because you can now order $25 GCs online. Bummer.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Thanks for posting the results of this, because you can now order $25 GCs online. Bummer.
If you purchase the e-gift card on-line (available for as low as $25) then, yes, it will be sold by Buyatab. If you scroll to the bottom of the page where you would purchase it, it says "Buyatab Inc online". So that's not going to be reimbursed.

If you purchase the physical gift card on-line (available starting at $150) then the purchase appears to be directly from Saks Fifth Avenue - quite possibly reimbursed.

That said, many people will probably prefer to avoid choosing the physical gift card option.
bizum likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If you purchase the e-gift card on-line (available for as low as $25) then, yes, it will be sold by Buyatab. If you scroll to the bottom of the page where you would purchase it, it says "Buyatab Inc online". So that's not going to be reimbursed.

If you purchase the physical gift card on-line (available starting at $150) then the purchase appears to be directly from Saks Fifth Avenue - quite possibly reimbursed.

That said, many people will probably prefer to avoid choosing the physical gift card option.
Yeah I will have to go to the store early next week and get a physical $50 GC. $150 is more than I want to spend. Nothing like cutting it close!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.