Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Oops, waited till 12/29 to do a Sak's purchase. They ended up not billing till ship date of 1/4. So guess wasted $50.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
Datapoint: Bought a $50 gift card from Saks (in store) on 1/1, reimbursed by AMEX on 1/5.
financialhippie likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Oops, waited till 12/29 to do a Sak's purchase. They ended up not billing till ship date of 1/4. So guess wasted $50.
Not necessarily. I ordered online on 12/31. The posting date shows 1/1, but a CSR confirmed that because the charge was initiated on 12/31, the credit will come from 2018, not 2019.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by sam_goh
or the credit will be from the 2019 bucket
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jblazea50
Does the purchase need to be $50 without tax or does tax count towards the $50 total? I want to buy something for $48 and with tax it'll be like $51.
There's no minimum to get the credit.
There is a $50 maximum credit, every 6 months.
Sales tax is irrelevant, it's whatever gets charged to your card that determines the credit.
If you spend $5, you'll get a $5 credit, but good luck with that at Saks. I don't know if they have coffee bars, like at Nordstrom...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There's no minimum to get the credit.
There is a $50 maximum credit, every 6 months.
Sales tax is irrelevant, it's whatever gets charged to your card that determines the credit.
If you spend $5, you'll get a $5 credit, but good luck with that at Saks. I don't know if they have coffee bars, like at Nordstrom...

They had a number of sub-$5 candy items on sale last week with free 2day-shoprunner.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm earning lots of MRs with my wife on this $50 Saks deal -- Marriage Rewards. Ordered a little more than $50 worth of La Maison du Chocolat on my Plat and hers on Jan. 5. Statement credits of $50 appeared on Jan. 9.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:53 am

in my end of year order from saks, they included a physical gift card (with $0 on it) in case i wanted to load it to give as a gift I assume. Anyone know if reloading a physical card would be the same as one of the e-gift cards, or charged similar to buying a physical card at the store?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by geoffk
in my end of year order from saks, they included a physical gift card (with $0 on it) in case i wanted to load it to give as a gift I assume. Anyone know if reloading a physical card would be the same as one of the e-gift cards, or charged similar to buying a physical card at the store?
I got the same thing, if I recall, if you read the fine print on the gift card it mentions that it’s processed by a third party, I think points.com or something.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Saks canceled my order with an "sorry your item is out of stock" email 11pm on 31-Dec , so I lost the use of the credit ...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by 4aks
Saks canceled my order with an "sorry your item is out of stock" email 11pm on 31-Dec , so I lost the use of the credit ...
You might see if an Amex CS agent will give you a special $50 statement credit under these circumstances. You put in the order in 2018.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks
Saks either got NAILED with a bunch of us buying stuff in December, or they have HORRIBLE order management systems. I ordered an item that showed as in stock and shipping right away with shoprunner. Then got an email 24 hours later saying the order would ship xx date at the latest (can't remember exact date, but it was 10+ days later). Well that date came and went and after another three or four days I cancelled that order right after Christmas and tried to order something else. THREE different items all showed in stock but when I added them to my cart all said "back ordered" or just flat out "not in stock". FINALLY I was able to order something a few days before the end of December and saw the product ship... then a couple days later I got an email of my original (should be cancelled order) saying they didn't know when it would ship but would update me as soon as they knew.... so I had to go cancel it again. Literally the worst ordering system I've seen... maybe they just started their online site? *rolls eyes*
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:26 pm

Already used my Saks credit for the January - June time frame. This past Wednesday, there was a promotion for 10% off your entire order. The perfume I bought was $68.00 and it was $61.XX shipped. After the AmEx credit will wind up paying less than $12.00 for perfume I wanted anyway. Loving this perk!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scentcrazy
Already used my Saks credit for the January - June time frame. This past Wednesday, there was a promotion for 10% off your entire order. The perfume I bought was $68.00 and it was $61.XX shipped. After the AmEx credit will wind up paying less than $12.00 for perfume I wanted anyway. Loving this perk!
Same here, picked up a pair of pants that were on sale for ~$58 after tax. I needed them anyway, which makes it a great deal.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by scentcrazy
I got emails for codes of 10% and 15% off (wife and I have separate accounts). I believe using these codes means you don’t get portal cash back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.