Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Personal to Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Starwood Personal to Business

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam here but basically looking for a short answer-

Im thinking of switching from the personal to business card. Is there any reason for me NOT to do this? The way I look at it Ill get 100k bonus, 4x on gas etc and all the same other perks. What am I missing?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by precision80
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam here but basically looking for a short answer-

Im thinking of switching from the personal to business card. Is there any reason for me NOT to do this? The way I look at it Ill get 100k bonus, 4x on gas etc and all the same other perks. What am I missing?
What do you mean by "switching"? You can't product convert a personal card to a business card. You have to apply for the business card afresh, and you'll almost certainly be denied the signup bonus for it if you apply on 8/26 or later.

So either apply for it right now (if you're reading this before it's Sunday 8/26 in any time zone), or forget it. If you wait for the perfect answer, It'll be too late.

Meanwhile, since you have to apply afresh, you don't necessarily have to cancel the SPG personal. You may even be offered an upgrade to the SPG "luxury" card, in case you're interested, but only from the personal card if it's still open.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean by "switching"? You can't product convert a personal card to a business card. You have to apply for the business card afresh, and you'll almost certainly be denied the signup bonus for it if you apply on 8/26 or later.

So either apply for it right now (if you're reading this before it's Sunday 8/26 in any time zone), or forget it. If you wait for the perfect answer, It'll be too late.

Meanwhile, since you have to apply afresh, you don't necessarily have to cancel the SPG personal. You may even be offered an upgrade to the SPG "luxury" card, in case you're interested, but only from the personal card if it's still open.
So I did miss this. By switching I meant cancelling my personal and applying for the business. BIs the business no longer available or just not with a signup bonus?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Card is still available. Bonus terms are more complex now, because they cross reference other American Express accounts, but also cards issued by Chase for Marriott:

• Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card.
  • We may also consider the number of American Express® Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

• Welcome offer not available to applicants who
  • (i) have or have had the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase or Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days,
  • (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days,
  • or (iii) received a welcome offer in the last 24 months on The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
Card is still available. Bonus terms are more complex now, because they cross reference other American Express accounts, but also cards issued by Chase for Marriott:
  • Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card.
  • We may also consider the number of American Express® Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

• Welcome offer not available to applicants who
  • (i) have or have had the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase or Marriott Rewards Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days,
  • (ii) have acquired The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days,
  • or (iii) received a welcome offer in the last 24 months on The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or The Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but:
The SPG Personal card is not the same as the SPG Business card (in terms of the first bullet point), right?
(I don't think Amex considers their other cards "the same" between business and personal like the Delta cards, etc).

When you apply, after clicking Submit, Amex should pop-up something if you're ineligible for the bonus (but before they pull your credit report).

At least, if I read the Doctorofcredit website correctly in regards to the pop-up.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hurnik
The SPG Personal card is not the same as the SPG Business card ....
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.