Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Germany, lost Gold card, rude service (because I do not speak German).

Amex Germany, lost Gold card, rude service (because I do not speak German).

Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: IHG Gold
How successful would an Expat German working in the USA be with AMEX if they phoned up and started speaking German to an employee at a US call center?

Originally Posted by vanabb

So German is spoken by less than than 0.02% of all people, whereas English is understood by more than 40%, yet I should waste my time learning a dead language just because I happen to reside in a particular country? Outside of Germany, Austria and maybe Switzerland, German is profoundly useless. All the Swiss speak English anyway.
This statement is so factually incorrect it boggles the mind.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2018 at 7:11 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
So while OP's whole "winning the war" comment is rather silly, it is not inconceivable that OP should expect to be able to communicate an American Express card problem in English to an American Express CSR in a foreign country. Nor should he be ridiculed by a CSR (and the FT internet mob) for not being able to converse in a language that is not his native language.

How many languages are spoken in Europe? If OP had lost his card in Italy, should he be required to speak Italian? If his card was stolen in Paris, should he be required to speak French? So now Americans are required to be multilingual to own an American based credit card? What?

One of the AMEX selling points - in the US - is that the company provides on-the-spot assistance to its cardholders worldwide. Nowhere does AMEX state that cardholders are required to speak multiple languages to obtain said assistance.

Would it be helpful? Yes. Required? No.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Aug 14, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... If OP had lost his card in Italy, should he be required to speak ....
No, but this isn't a case of a traveler losing a card in another country. I wouldn't call the local American Express company to report a lost card, I would contact American Express in the country where my card is issued (and I would do it online, not by telephone). If I understand correctly vanabb's American Express card is issued in Germany, and (as far as I know) the application forms, contract terms, statements etc are written in German. It seems reasonable for American Express Germany to staff its phone lines with German-speaking agents, but there is no excuse for any employee to ridicule any customer for any reason.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:35 am

So German is spoken by less than than 0.02% of all people, whereas English is understood by more than 40%, yet I should waste my time learning a dead language just because I happen to reside in a particular country? Outside of Germany, Austria and maybe Switzerland, German is profoundly useless. All the Swiss speak English anyway.
Why don't you get your facts straight before you post? Only 1.5 billion people out of a total of 7.5 billion people on Earth speak English, that's roughly 20% of the population. About 1 billion people on Earth also speak Mandarin, that's roughly 13% of the population. Do you speak Mandarin? Do you expect Amex Germany to be able to converse in Mandarin with you, too?

Also, it is estimated that there is between 175 million and 220 million German speakers in the world, that's about 2-3% of the population.

Of course, it is inexcusable that a customer service agent would try you the way you described, but with the attitude you are demonstrating I am no longer sure that what you described has actually transpired.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
No CSR should laugh at customers. However, I would also expect that most of AE's local CSRs actually speak and understand basic English. Given your posts in this thread, my interpretation is that there were some crucial details left out in your description of the event. Here's a German phrase you might want to learn: "Wie man in den Wald hinein ruft, so schallt es heraus."
Flying Lawyer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Is it unreasonable to expect friendly, helpful, courteous service from Amex? Or at least transfer me to to someone who is able to? These are not german qualities to be sure, but one can hope.
It appears amazingly rude and nothing but prejudice to qualify all Germans as not being "friendly, helpful, courteous". This is (a) against the spirit of Flyertalk and I wonder (b) why you live in my country. If your attitude vs. the Amex agent was similar I am not at all surprised about counterreactions.

This once again is as arrogant as wrong. German is the native language of about 105 Mio. people, most of them in Europe. This is something in the range of more than 20% of the EU population and 1.3 percent of the global population and certainly not 0.02 percent. One might have a guess whether you skipped math lessons or geography lessons in school. Once again the valid question: What makes you staying here. No clue about the country, prejudices and being impolite.
Statman and BRAISKI like this.

Last edited by mia; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:14 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As a German in the US I would be totally lost without English and Amex US would call me nuts if I asked for a German speaking agent.
You just talk louder in German. Since many Americans apparently believe that shouting in English is the best solution when non-English speakers don't understand them
Statman, Flying Lawyer and BRAISKI like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:17 am

'lol'? really? If germans expect others to speak their language maybe they should try winning the next war.

The point is that it is so random. Usually, the rare times I need to call, Amex support in English is no problem. I've lived here for years, yet language has never really been an issue.
You've lived there for years yet can't speak the language? I can understand if you are on a short term job but for years?

Ok, so the consensus here is that YES it is OK to be rude, laugh at, then hang up on anyone who does not speak your language. Particularity if you work a customer service line at an international company, like say AMEX, then yes it is even more OK. All right then.

I can't even begin to comprehend this ridiculous statement..........

Last edited by mia; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:38 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
WOW!
There is always two sides of the story and we will never hear the other side.
So here is my take... LOL
When a person talks about "winning the war" then I rest my case, there is no longer need to reason with this person. As observed by other posters' response...

First of all I also live in Germany recently and I don't speak German very well as I just moved here recently, though I try and I'm learning. I moved here April, I can already do VERY basic communication which is extremely helpful and Germans appreciate it more if you try. This goes to any other countries around the world, you get more respect.

Second... You live in a country where English isn't the first language and you expect them to "service" you who are you? Also you live in Germany for years and never thought of learning some German? Wow

Third... Say a person moved to US, Canada or UK among other English speaking countries. You happened to encounter this person and the person can't speak English, I guarantee you, you'd be whinning too. I personally get annoyed in Canada when people live there for years and don't speak a bit of damn English! Just reminds me of some people in the US or Canada that says "you're in America" and you can't speak English!!!!

Fourth... In EU there are lots of people/countries that can speak German, a lot of people from Netherlands, most of the Dutch people I've met speak German. Countries that live close to the German boarder usually speaks German. Heck there is a town in Canada called Kitchener where I lived, there are a bunch of people there that speaks German, it used to be Berlin! To add to the countries where lots of people speak German...Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein. Then you have other EU countries where German language is a minority... Hungary, Russia, Poland, France, Italy, Vatican!!! To name a few... That's some basic Geography lesson for you

Anyways OP good luck! I hope you will get this sorted out...

Last edited by mia; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: Remove personal chacterization.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
Meine Güte, was this thread was entertaining.

But seriously, your comments were rude and prejudice.

If you are unhappy with the service you were given, let them know or close your account. If what you say is true, it is no way to treat a customer.

Spend less time ranting on this board and try to learn a bit of the language of the country you have lived years in.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As a German in the US I would be totally lost without English and Amex US would call me nuts if I asked for a German speaking agent.
Though "Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Spanish" followed by "Para Español, Marque Número Dos" is pretty ubiquitous for customer service phone help for calling from the USA today. And my local Home Depot has a sign up saying they have employees who speak a good number of different languages including German, Thai, and Tagalog.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.