Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Germany, lost Gold card, rude service (because I do not speak German).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Germany, lost Gold card, rude service (because I do not speak German).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
Amex Germany, lost Gold card, rude service.

So I lost my card last weekend, left it a gas station in Stuttgart. When i noticed about an hour or so later, I immediately called Amex. I live in Germany, but I am not German. The first person i reached refused to speak any English, but she understood what I was saying. I asked to please connect me to anyone else, saying that that was urgent. She just laughed at me. "this is germany we speak german', then laughed again and hung up on me.

This was calling the gold lost/stolen card service line. Wow. I called again and the next person was more helpful.

How can Amex justify this sort of response?

... who changed the subject? Not appropriate. Amex is an international company. As an expat in Germany or anywhere I should be able to speak to someone in English, especially in urgent situations.

Last edited by vanabb; Aug 13, 2018 at 7:37 am Reason: Someone changed the subject line
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are exceptions, but the best customer service staff seldom choose to work nights, weekends or holidays. You might be better off with an International Euro Currency Card. Billed in Euros, issued in UK, serviced in English:

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...menu_gold_card
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by vanabb
As an expat in Germany or anywhere I should be able to speak to someone in English, especially in urgent situations.
LOL.......
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanantion

.... who changed the subject?.....
Only moderators can edit thread titles. I changed it to include sufficient detail for others to decide if they wish to read the thread. That's part of my job. If you think the new title is inaccurate please click the red Alert icon in the lower left corner of this post and suggest a further revision.
Statman likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
LOL.......
'lol'? really? If germans expect others to speak their language maybe they should try winning the next war.

The point is that it is so random. Usually, the rare times I need to call, Amex support in English is no problem. I've lived here for years, yet language has never really been an issue.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well I think your statement about the war clears everything up. Why don't you ask for a transcript of the recording and place it here so we can judge with both sides of the story?
notquiteaff, BRAISKI and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

So if I am offered work in Tanzania I should instantly learn Swahili, just so I can talk with Amex about my card? You can substitute any other country/language here.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The gift that keeps on giving.
Flying Lawyer and dhlee528 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So I lost my card last weekend, left it a gas station in Stuttgart. When i noticed about an hour or so later, I immediately called Amex. I live in Germany, but I am not German. The first person i reached refused to speak any English, but she understood what I was saying. I asked to please connect me to anyone else, saying that that was urgent. She just laughed at me. "this is germany we speak german', then laughed again and hung up on me.

This was calling the gold lost/stolen card service line. Wow. I called again and the next person was more helpful.

How can Amex justify this sort of response?

... who changed the subject? Not appropriate. Amex is an international company. As an expat in Germany or anywhere I should be able to speak to someone in English, especially in urgent situations.
I can’t help but think Amex would recount a different interaction with you. Could you give us a more balanced summary of your call? Your later posts are not going to win you any favours.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:42 am
Original Poster

I have no idea how to request a call recording with Amex, or even if they would release it. Unlikely. But if any of you have experience with this by all means share your 28k+ post wisdom here.

Is it unreasonable to expect friendly, helpful, courteous service from Amex? Or at least transfer me to to someone who is able to? These are not german qualities to be sure, but one can hope.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

I have no idea how to request a call recording with Amex, or even if they would release it. Unlikely. But if any of you have experience with this by all means share your 28k+ post wisdom here.

Is it unreasonable to expect friendly, helpful, courteous service from Amex? Or at least transfer me to to someone who is able to? These are not german qualities to be sure, but one can hope.
As my math teacher once said to me, 'the first rule of hole is to stop digging.' I think this is applicable in this situation. I don't know how long you have lived in Germany, but you seem not to have a very good handle on what are and are not German qualities or clichés.

Nevertheless, are you really telling me that you have called Amex numerous times and explained to them that you don't speak German and would like to be transferred to an agent that speaks English, and that each time they laugh at you and hang up? I don't believe this.

As you live in Germany, I'm sure you can muster up "ich spreche kein Deutsch, sprechen Sie oder ein Kollege Englisch?"
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You ring them up and ask for a transcript. Your posts here don't do you any favours bringing race into the equation and making assumptions based on nationality. So, given all the attitude that you seem to be displaying here, and the absence of the Amex side of events, I think people can draw their own conclusion as to why they were curt with you. Assumptions see? Still, the Amex transcript will help your case if you get it so I would work on that if I were you.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I have certain difficulty to comprehend. I am a native German speaker and Amex Germany referee me more than on e to an English speaking agent to get quicker service. Notwithstanding what I said before it appears to be the approach of several members of the English speaking world to trust that everybody speaks English. German is the native language of about 95 million people in Europe and it appears not to be asking for too much to expect that people working in this country speak st lease some basics. This is what Asians in Germany are more than happy to do. As a German in the US I would be totally lost without English and Amex US would call me nuts if I asked for a German speaking agent.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Ok, so the consensus here is that YES it is OK to be rude, laugh at, then hang up on anyone who does not speak your language. Particularity if you work a customer service line at an international company, like say AMEX, then yes it is even more OK. All right then.

So German is spoken by less than than 0.02% of all people, whereas English is understood by more than 40%, yet I should waste my time learning a dead language just because I happen to reside in a particular country? Outside of Germany, Austria and maybe Switzerland, German is profoundly useless. All the Swiss speak English anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended

Ok, so the consensus here is that YES it is OK to be rude, laugh at, then hang up on anyone who does not speak your language. Particularity if you work a customer service line at an international company, like say AMEX, then yes it is even more OK. All right then.

So German is spoken by less than than 0.02% of all people, whereas English is understood by more than 40%, yet I should waste my time learning a dead language just because I happen to reside in a particular country? Outside of Germany, Austria and maybe Switzerland, German is profoundly useless. All the Swiss speak English anyway.
Oh dear. You are really not willing to take some constructive advice to eek out a basic phrase? No one is asking you to read Goethe or Mann, or write like a FAZ editor. Just to have the ability to get in the front door. I can't imagine you live in Germany and never utter a word of the language in your daily life.

Where did you get the idea that it's a 'dead language' by the way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.