Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$150 Annual Credit to Plat (for being a Corp card holder)

Old Aug 9, 18, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓

I have had a Corporate Green card for 2 years. I opened a Personal Platinum 5 weeks ago.

Today when I log in to my Corporate Green account, I get a notice to see what exclusive offers I have. After entering my Corporate account number, one of the offers is to apply for a personal Plat but this one has a special $150 annual statement credit thrown into the perks offered. Full details of this are below. I guess I just missed out on this since I recently opened a personal Plat outside of this offering. I just got off the phone with Amex and they have opened a case to review my request to have this perk added to my account. Has anyone else tried this - any success? This is such a good perk it would be worth me closing my Plat and opening a new one under this offer.

Old Aug 10, 18, 11:40 am
ckr

I also have a corp card and personal platinum, so I'm somewhat interested to see if they end up applying the offer to your account.

Doc has a bit of information about this program: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ersonal-cards/

Q: Am I eligible for the offer if I already own the Card?

A: Yes, however to take advantage of the offer you will need to re-apply for the card. Having the same (or different) personal Card will not prohibit you from receiving approval for this one. Once approved, you may decide to cancel or retain your existing Card.

This no longer seems to be the case.
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll report back when Amex respond to me.

if they wont apply the perk to my existing (very recently opened) personal Plat, then I will consider opening a new one. My concern would be jepardising my pending 60000 point bonus if I closed the current one so fast.
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:10 pm
ckr

@FlyingHighlander, did you hear back?
Old Aug 20, 18, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Not yet. I called about a week ago for an update and got bounced around different teams where nobody could actually help, however I still have a "case" opened and it's being looked at. They stated that it may take up to 30 days to get an answer - that's pretty bad in my opinion. I'm not asking a particularly difficult question. Part of the challenge when I called is that my inquiry relates to both my Personal Plat and Corp Green card. Despite very clearly defining the issue, I couldn't get to a team that would take ownership (bounced between personal and corporate teams in an endless loop). So now I'll just wait, however, my gut tells me they simply won't respond. I hope I'm wrong.
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
I had this same problem earlier this year but AmEx refused to apply the deal to my existing Platinum card. They advised me to open a new Platinum card through the Corporate program link and then close the old one. I did so, and I did get the $150 credit on the new card but it took a couple months. I was not eligible for the 60k signup bonus.
Old Aug 21, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for telling us about your experience. I'd have no problem opening a new personal Plat, and closing the old personal Plat, however I only just received my 60k bonus points and I think they'd be in jeopardy if I close the account right now. The terms say if I close within 12 months they'll take points away.

perhaps I'll keep the current personal plat and dump it at 12 months. Then, if the Corporate Card Advtange ($150 annual credit) is still available, I'll open a new personal plat at that time. If its not, I'll probably dump Amex altogether due to the I'll feeling this gives me.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Aug 21, 18 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
There are LOTS of Amex Corp holders who also have personal Platinum (me included). I'm not surprised that Amex doesn't want to approve the appeal for retroactive benefit. But still worth a try...

$150 a year for as long as you are employed by the same employer is a pretty significant perk.
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I'd be surprised if I get it. At this point I have given up. I suspect Amex wont bother responding to me.

Per my post above, I'll probably dump the Plat after a year. Will then consider reopening if the $150 deal is still around.
Old Nov 15, 18, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just realize I am in the same situation. Call Amex, talked with multiple teams, seems only way to work out is to close the existing personal card and re-apply through the link from the corporate card Advantage Program.

I just applied and received the personal Gold card about 3 weeks ago. Uncertain if there is any negative impact to my credit report to open/close so quickly? thanks for any advise.

Alternatively there are also Platinum card and Cash Preferred card included the Advantage Program. Though I already have Platinum card (not primary) and wanted a card earns MR points as primary card holder so the alternatives are not workable for me.

BTW, the offer for Gold card is $100 annual statement credit, Cash Preferred is $50.

Last edited by wendySFO; Nov 15, 18 at 3:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 15, 18, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Indeed you are in a similar situation!

I'm not sure about the affect on your credit score, but I'd think there's plenty of advice to be found on that.

I'm going to wait until my 1st year of Amex Plat is up in July then make a decision. If I still want an Amex Plat I will definitely close it and reopen one via the corporate advantage program. However, since I may be flying mostly United I will consider switching to Chase Sapphire Resever (since they are a transfer partner, and Amex isn't with United).

That said, getting a $150 discount on the Amex Plat may be too tempting. I'll always use the airline credit, uber credits, and a few other perks.
Old Nov 10, 19, 1:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Corporate Advantage Program $150 credit

Amex just posted a $150 credit to my Platinum account that is marked as a "Corporate Advantage Program (CAP) credit".

I looked around a bit, and it is supposedly for people who work for a company with corporate cards or have signed up on some offer with CAP credit terms. I work for a very large company, but my corporate card is a Visa. Also, I applied for my Platinum via a standard 100k MR points offer mailed to me last year.

So anyone know why I might get this credit? (not complaining...)
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:20 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Perhaps your employer also has a card program with American Express, which might not be available to all employees?
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Perhaps your employer also has a card program with American Express, which might not be available to all employees?
I'm sure that's possible given that my company has >100k people. But would Amex simply apply a $150 credit to every employee who has a Platinum card without any kind of enrollment, etc.?
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
$150? That's kind of cool, but I didn't see that offer, even though I have a corporate AMEX. I also have the personal Platinum.

Edit: So on the chat, there was no way to avoid re-applying to the card.
I think AMEX should just capture the people who ask to apply and say they already have the card, so apply the benefit to their existing card.

Last edited by Gasolin; Nov 10, 19 at 7:53 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: